over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein Powder VS Real Food Updated Opinions

RONJON

Kilo Klub Member
This has always been a pretty controversial argument...divided pretty much down the middle.

Which is better and why?

..recently I hear more people telling me it is best to do a combo with a shake post workout and possibly at breakfast maybe with oatmeal or something and alot use a shake with casein b4 bed and all other meals real food. I know ALOT of BIG guys who use NO powders at all! Then I know some who use almost ALL powders!

What do you guys think?

RONJON

food - always

Ive seen too many tests of leading brands coming out underdosed or using questionable quality raws (for example egg protein would be denatured egg albumen - worthless, casein proteins use lowest grade casein left over from cheese making, ditto for whey, supps labeled as having glutamine peptides simply add undigested gluten etc)

besides theres no reason to ever use a casein protein powder, unless you really lack the time and space. All you need is to blend some non fat cottage cheese with whatever you like - non fat cottage cheese is almost pure casein, which also contains lactobacillus cultures, unlike processed powders.

my vote goes to "bracketing" whey pre/post workout and whole foods the remainder of the time

Definately powder for me, cheaper and saves a lot of time!

I seem to do best on whole foods especially chicken and rice post workout.

combo of both...

I like food alot if im dieting, but offseason I will get more shakes in to up my cals

no difference

whole food protein is digested into amino acids and they are absorbed by the body as needed. powders require less digestion and the amino acids are absorbed the same. your body does not know at that stage if the amino acids came from a shake or a steak.

Combo of both for sure. Too many shakes is not good, though. I use shakes as snacks midday occasionally, but definitely post workout, and occasionally before bed. I've been getting so much meat lately it isn't even funny, though. Whole rotisserie chickens, multiple sides of baby back ribs, bulk pulled pork, pounds and pounds of chicken wings, hundreds of eggs, etc, so I haven't been having many shakes.

100%

whole food!!! Have been off shakes for about a year now and i love it!!! No more upset stomach, no bloat. And progress is better than ever.
I just love it.

When growing, I personally like using both...like Chris mentioned, a convient way to get your cals up.

On a cut, generally stick to whole food (except for intra & pwo shakes). Whole foods keep you satified more on a cal defient and have a greater thermal effect then shakes.

yea convenience is the key with me since my two breaks at 10AM and 2PM are only a few min. each so I dont have time for full meals here...glad to know that shakes are acceptable here!

Thanks guys

whole food protein is digested into amino acids and they are absorbed by the body as needed. powders require less digestion and the amino acids are absorbed the same. your body does not know at that stage if the amino acids came from a shake or a steak.

this would be true if it really was that simple

however its not, not only does whole food offer much higher value when it comes to nutritional quality (presence of vitamins, minerals, bioactive compounds), the amino acid profile is also different, and the starting quality of the material is different.
As i explained above, you simply do not know what grade of ingredients your protein powder uses.
Its similar to canned meat, it could contain the same amount of protein per gram as fresh meat, but do you think that they both have the same nutritional quality?

I just can't eat that much in a day and sometimes I'm on the go all the time, working double shifts,etc. It's easier for me to eat 3 solid meals and have 3 shakes, my better days is 4 solid meals 2 shakes.

Cost and availability matter.

Powder for me.
Living in Japan means I cannot buy large quantities of food and prepare them.

I've been drinking 250 grams of protein a day for over a year now and the results have been good.

I prefer food while prepping, but will drink 2 shakes at work because the simply factor of convenience. On the weekends, I do all food. Food just makes me feel fuller for a longer period of time.

I seem to do best on whole foods especially chicken and rice post workout.

+1.

I notice a BIG difference eating a whole meal pwo as opposed to just having a protein/carb shake.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear