over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein quality

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've never been into powders but have been trying to cut costs on the food bill. Been mixing and freezing shakes to make slush. Had some questions for those who are more in the loop than me...

1. Can companies actually under dose the labels? I recall years ago seeing that a 20 g scoop tested at 5 g.

2. Is all concentrate, isolate, etc equal? I just plan to use whey nothing fancy so Im not someone who needs pea or whatever protein because I'm worried about gas. I just want to meet my protein total with quality protein.

3. Other than faster and slower digestion, is isolate and hydro, and casien actually superior to concentrate? I know when I used to take whey concentrate was considered the low quality.

4. The label. I know they say blend then the first ingredient, then the next most common, then the last. Do they get shady with this or can you assume if isolate is listed first, it's mostly isolate?

5. Any common brands to go with or avoid? I just buy mine at the vitamin shoppe but I noticed Walmart has optimum, quest, dymatize which I assume are quality. Not sure about premier protein or the other lesser known brands.

Thank you for any help! I know about labdoor but heard they may be biased.

1. Yes. It’s called amino spiking, or flat out lying
2. No it’s not al equal. There are different ways of processing that yield different results like smoothness, mixability, flavor etc
3. Actually concentrate would be better if you can tolerate it. It is less processed. But it does disgust slower making it less ideal peri workout
4. Yes they get shady. Don’t buy blends. Single protein sources only
5. Can’t beat truenutrition, dymatize, or ON

Can't go wrong with Synthepure (Whey Isolate) from Synthetek! Always solid!!

@DOGGCRAPP Dante told a story here some years ago where he was doing the protein for a large, well known company. The labels with the ingredients were already printed. The company called him and said they wanted to REDUCE some of the ingredients. Dante told them the labels were already printed with the amounts. They knew that but wanted to go forward, saving themselves money by pulling a fast one. Dante told them he couldn't do that and wound up losing a multi million dollar account. Integrity!

Every so often a list of protein supplements tested by a third party comes out and reveals who's on the up and up!

@DOGGCRAPP Dante told a story here some years ago where he was doing the protein for a large, well known company. The labels with the ingredients were already printed. The company called him and said they wanted to REDUCE some of the ingredients. Dante told them the labels were already printed with the amounts. They knew that but wanted to go forward, saving themselves money by pulling a fast one. Dante told them he couldn't do that and wound up losing a multi million dollar account. Integrity!

Every so often a list of protein supplements tested by a third party comes out and reveals who's on the up and up!

Damn that's crazy but not surprising, I bet companies cut corners all the time. Things like that are why I try to usually just eat food but with the price of meat rising going to mix in some whey to my diet. I'd imagine the companies do the same with protein bars too. I know there is a big varience in the quality of multivitamin, the only supplement I've really used lately. The average person probably thinks centrum is good enough

They're definitely all different. A quality isolate vs a processed concentrate will always be different and you'll be able to feel it

They're definitely all different. A quality isolate vs a processed concentrate will always be different and you'll be able to feel it
Concentrate is actually less processed than isolate. What people might feel/react poorly to is the higher levels of lactose in the concentrate.

Personally I use both. I tend to use an isolate post workout but other times use a concentrate or even a blend of concentrate/isolate/hydrolisate/casien/egg . I prefer the thicker consistency of concentrate and blends, and I also think that an isolate digest too quickly sometimes.

Concentrate is actually less processed than isolate. What people might feel/react poorly to is the higher levels of lactose in the concentrate.

Personally I use both. I tend to use an isolate post workout but other times use a concentrate or even a blend of concentrate/isolate/hydrolisate/casien/egg . I prefer the thicker consistency of concentrate and blends, and I also think that an isolate digest too quickly sometimes.
Correct, and because of this is contains more protein fractions and peptides. Concentrate tastes better IMO too but I just can’t stomach it

Correct, and because of this is contains more protein fractions and peptides. Concentrate tastes better IMO too but I just can’t stomach it
definitely glad to har this, I always thought concentrate was the "cheap" stuff where 20g may not be 20g. I believe concentrate is less expensive too? Maybe I should go with concentrate because im not a big believer in the importance of "fast" digesting stuff around the workout, assuming someone is not training fasted and has been eating all day.

definitely glad to har this, I always thought concentrate was the "cheap" stuff where 20g may not be 20g. I believe concentrate is less expensive too? Maybe I should go with concentrate because im not a big believer in the importance of "fast" digesting stuff around the workout, assuming someone is not training fasted and has been eating all day.
Concentrate will contain less protein per scoop than iso, but is less processed and closer to its natural state.

Generally, all whey protein isolates from the cheese plants is EXACTLY THE SAME. They are all using the same process nowadays. They are all producing EXACTLY the same product: 90% pure whey isolate.

Now they do produce lower quality versions like concentrate, and some cheese plants may be selling cheaper versions using older manufacturing methods (rare).

The difference is what the supplement companies that are packaging and mixing the powders are doing after they buy it wholesale.

Again, it all starts out as the SAME stuff from the cheese plants, this stuff is generally only available wholesale but you can find ways to get it. It comes plain in 20kg bags.

There are some differences between cfm, ultra filtration, cold processing, and hyrolyzed ISO’s. But fir the most part they are pretty much the same before supplement companies muck them all up. I only use TN for this reason and occasionally dymatize
Generally, all whey protein isolates from the cheese plants is EXACTLY THE SAME. They are all using the same process nowadays. They are all producing EXACTLY the same product: 90% pure whey isolate.

Now they do produce lower quality versions like concentrate, and some cheese plants may be selling cheaper versions using older manufacturing methods (rare).

The difference is what the supplement companies that are packaging and mixing the powders are doing after they buy it wholesale.

Again, it all starts out as the SAME stuff from the cheese plants, this stuff is generally only available wholesale but you can find ways to get it. It comes plain in 20kg bags.

Guess I should have specified low quality concentrates. But that makes sense. I prefer a thicker blend too where plant protein is perfect in that regard. Acquired taste, though

Wasn't Dante planning to come out with a CRICKET isolate a while back? That would be super interesting lol.

I'm going to consider giving it a shot. I can only assume it digest super well. I found a few other brands but coming from DC, it will be the best
I’ve thought about giving it a shot to see if it’s better for me but haven’t yet. Beef protein iso was actually worse for me than whey, but who knows man, maybe this stuff will work

If I'm cutting and tracking calories like crazy, then I'll have a pure isolate (no flavor whatsoever), but if I'm more relaxed I would like to have a concentrate with some flavor. I also like to use it as a treat or "cheat meal."

I've never been into powders but have been trying to cut costs on the food bill. Been mixing and freezing shakes to make slush. Had some questions for those who are more in the loop than me...

1. Can companies actually under dose the labels? I recall years ago seeing that a 20 g scoop tested at 5 g.

2. Is all concentrate, isolate, etc equal? I just plan to use whey nothing fancy so Im not someone who needs pea or whatever protein because I'm worried about gas. I just want to meet my protein total with quality protein.

3. Other than faster and slower digestion, is isolate and hydro, and casien actually superior to concentrate? I know when I used to take whey concentrate was considered the low quality.

4. The label. I know they say blend then the first ingredient, then the next most common, then the last. Do they get shady with this or can you assume if isolate is listed first, it's mostly isolate?

5. Any common brands to go with or avoid? I just buy mine at the vitamin shoppe but I noticed Walmart has optimum, quest, dymatize which I assume are quality. Not sure about premier protein or the other lesser known brands.

Thank you for any help! I know about labdoor but heard they may be biased.
Bro Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey is hands down the best main stream protein out there and mixed with water digests fast and with zero GI issues. I’ll pop 3 scoops PW and can still eat an hour later.

Bump that! SynthePure is great!!

If you guys try out that cricket protein, give us an update on it! I think the stuff was pretty pricey though the last I checked. It's been a long while since I looked though.

Concentrate is great if you don't mind a little extra gas and bloatedness. However, it's not much cheaper these days the last I checked, neither was pea isolate. i do fine on Whey Iso, so I don't mind paying a dollar or two more.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws