over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

settle this for once

Im not sure Phats but I dont think it could be much.
I know there pretty easy to lift even with just a finger or two.

Honestly I stopped keeping track of the bar or sled I'm using.. It's too time consuming in my opinion haha

Smith machines

Ready for a little mental fun?
The Smith machine I have at my gym is counter balanced. It has a standard bar with a set of hooks and a set of 12 inch long linear bearings affixed to it - bringing the total weight of the bar to 65lbs. There are a pair of 30lb weights with built in linear bearings to off-set the weight of the bar to approx. 5lbs.
Easy enough.
Now, what most people don't factor in is INERTIA. Everytime you press or pull the bar you have to accelerate either the weight or the counter weight which will be either the 65lb bar or the 60lb counterweight - in addition to the weight you place on the bar itself. The faster you push/pull the bar the more inertia you must overcome (same principle with free weights too).
And then there is friction - was it cleaned & oiled recently? I don't even want to get into that one...
Bottom line - to keep from blowing a gasket on this one, just record the weight you place on the bar. Unless you have an accelerometer & dynamometer attached to your smith, you will never know EXACTLY how much force you are applying/lifting.

The Smith machine I have at my gym is counter balanced. It has a standard bar with a set of hooks and a set of 12 inch long linear bearings affixed to it - bringing the total weight of the bar to 65lbs. There are a pair of 30lb weights with built in linear bearings to off-set the weight of the bar to approx. 5lbs.
Easy enough.
Now, what most people don't factor in is INERTIA. Everytime you press or pull the bar you have to accelerate either the weight or the counter weight which will be either the 65lb bar or the 60lb counterweight - in addition to the weight you place on the bar itself. The faster you push/pull the bar the more inertia you must overcome (same principle with free weights too).
And then there is friction - was it cleaned & oiled recently? I don't even want to get into that one...
Bottom line - to keep from blowing a gasket on this one, just record the weight you place on the bar. Unless you have an accelerometer & dynamometer attached to your smith, you will never know EXACTLY how much force you are applying/lifting.

You took the engineering right out of my mouth. ;) Also to add to this some smith machines are on an angle which throws in another curve ball for accurate measurement. Only perpendicular (90 degrees) to the earth are you are you actually moving the weight as listed. One of the reasons why I love when someone states they can lift a certain amount of weight on a leg press. There are so many variables to this, let alone most are on a 45 degree angle so cut the weight in half.

Last edited:
I never ever thought that I would have to take Newtons First Law of Motion into account in the world of bodybuilding.

My teachers can kiss my ass now. I told them that Newton blatantly worked out and here is my proof

LMFAO!

Some schools here are teaching math/physics centered around Nascar to get kids interested. I definately think that teaching the concepts using real life examples such as weigh lifting makes the concepts easier to grasp and lock in. When I took electrical engineering, much of the time we could mimid circuits using a mechanical model with springs etc to help us grasp the concepts. The math was amazingly similar.

BTW I disagree with some of the Smith machine analysis and agree totally with the weight sled analysis. It is interesting to see how much people think they actually lift on hammer machines etc, not taking into account the mechanical advantages. Heck, Arthur Jones made hundreds of millions with Nautilus with a pretty simple concept. "Give me a lever long enough and I can move the earth".

Pekkerwood

what the hell to smith machine bars weigh??

went to a new gym the other day, and CYBEX brand actully said...15lgs starting weight...

so how much are the hammer strength ones???

googling as we speak

phats

Why not just weigh the smith machine bar yourself to find out???

Weigh yourself on a portable scales....then rest the smith machine bar on your back and stand on the same scales.

Bar weight = difference between your own weight and weight of you with bar on your back.

get a good ol fish scale and let it hang off if it matters to you....My smythe has no counterweight attached, i have 70 lbs on the bare bar....The weight of the collars attached to perpendicular bars, bearings, hooks etc...so 25 lbs above the bare bar worth of attached iron...
;)

Easy enough.

I can see we have a few engineers in here.

For practical purposes, we don't need to be that exact.

But good analysis Bro.

WildBB

You can't count the weight that the bar or the sled weighs only what you add to it , the rest is "penilty weight" for using the damn thing in the first place.

You can't count the weight that the bar or the sled weighs only what you add to it , the rest is "penilty weight" for using the damn thing in the first place.

I think that is the best best reply to this thread so far...

NICE! :D

+1

WOW! Who would have guessed that you had to have physics to lift weights? :p

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311