over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training program challange - critique please

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
With my current schedule I can train only on saturday and sunday. I leave for work a5 5 AM and get home at 7 PM which includes a 2 hour commute each way. I also have a toddler and an infant. I get home, eat dinner and get my older one ready for bed then go to bed myself. Training during lunch is not an option.

I will be able to increase frequency in Janurary when I build my home gym.

Goal is building muscle, diet is not an issue.

Saturday
Chest, shoulders, tri's, quads, calves
I rotate the order of exercises for example,
3 sets Incline bench, 3 sets flat, 2 sets hammerstrength this week and next i may start with flat. This goes for all exercises.
So I'm averaging 8 sets per body part last set for each exercise is heaviest and done to failure ( quad presses and or squats 1 rep left in tank)

Sunday
Back width, back thickness, Bi's, hams, abs.
Slightly different concept as I do 2 exercises for width and 2 for thickness at 3 sets each so back gets 12 sets.

Example,
3 sets weighted pull ups, 3 sets pull overs
3 sets BB row
3 sets DB row

Each week I look to beat the log book by increasing weight or reps.

My question becomes, and remember I'm usually a low volume guy using DC or Phil Hernon's routine,What should I change,
More or less volume? Different split since it's 2 days back to back?
Any advice is great and if you know of a good 2 day program I'm all ears.

I would personally do upper body Saturday and lower body on Sunday or vice versa. If not, I'd do a full body workout each day.

hello TKAV!

dont think i have seen u post recently. glad ur still on the board!

i have the time to workout i just dont want to spend much time doing it lol so i been doing a 2 day split
Day 1: Upper body
Day 2: lower body and abs

i really like it. i kinda do the Phil Hernon 1 set with same weight, i go to ALMOST failure, then rest for @10 seconds then go again. for a total of 3-4 rest breaks then done with that body part. love it cuz workout for entire upper body is under 30 minutes.

if i were in your shoes, i'd do same split but more standard volume and bit heavier weights.
-F2S

If you're only lifting 2 days a week you will need at least 10 to 15 sets for each major body part to make any progress ..

If you're only lifting 2 days a week you will need at least 10 to 15 sets for each major body part to make any progress ..

Ai agree with this more. With only 2 days out of 7, you need more volume IMO.

Do some body weight exercises during the other 5 days, get some resistance bands, some DBs, a chin-up bar and some kettle bells.

Do you really need to beat the book each time during this phase?
How about taking this time to maintain and prime for a time when you can control more of the variables?

Alternating between a powerlifting routine one week and a bodybuilding routine the next would probably work great.

I would start with that and adjust more or less volume after you get some feedback from your body as to how you feel. I think that is probably about the best split you could do.

The only other thing I can think of is trying Hernon's full body training both days, two days in a row. That's not hard to do, ive been doing it, but with his training method you only do one set per bodypart each day. I was hitting full body about 5 days a week. Since youll only be hitting it 2x a week, youll need to at least double the volume and do 2 sets each. So if you want to try it, start out with 2 sets and then do 3 if you find you need more later. The workout would be rather long though. Just adding in one set extra wont take too much longer. Much of the time you spend is getting setup to do the next exercise, so adding in an extra set wont take too much more time.

Thread I started here about it:

https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...try-one-set-per-bodypart-per-day-workout.html

Ive been able to do 3 days in a row, 1 day rest, then 2 days in a row, 1 or 2 days rest.

Last edited:
Ai agree with this more. With only 2 days out of 7, you need more volume IMO.

Do some body weight exercises during the other 5 days, get some resistance bands, some DBs, a chin-up bar and some kettle bells.
This is what I was thinking. Even if it was just 2-3 sets of push-ups to near failure followed up by pull-ups on one of those cheap doorway bars. Maybe buy one fairly heavy dumbbell and do 2-3 sets of goblet squats to. One day of this push/pull/leg should compliment your heavy weekend work.

You can add in single legged squats and single legged calf raises as well.

I would start with that and adjust more or less volume after you get some feedback from your body as to how you feel. I think that is probably about the best split you could do.

The only other thing I can think of is trying Hernon's full body training both days, two days in a row. That's not hard to do, ive been doing it, but with his training method you only do one set per bodypart each day. I was hitting full body about 5 days a week. Since youll only be hitting it 2x a week, youll need to at least double the volume and do 2 sets each. So if you want to try it, start out with 2 sets and then do 3 if you find you need more later. The workout would be rather long though. Just adding in one set extra wont take too much longer. Much of the time you spend is getting setup to do the next exercise, so adding in an extra set wont take too much more time.

Thread I started here about it:

https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...try-one-set-per-bodypart-per-day-workout.html

Ive been able to do 3 days in a row, 1 day rest, then 2 days in a row, 1 or 2 days rest.

Thanks man! You're always a huge help. I think I'm going to try Phil's full body workout once I figure out how I'm going to program it with what I can do at home. With some of the stuff I have laying around I may manufacture some impliments to work in a few sets of some of the strongman type exercises at home.

See how that goes.

This is the first time in my adulthood I'm not able to get to the gym at least 3 days a week. So its interesting to say the least.

You have a challenge and I congratulate you on persevering. Perhaps consider getting a doorway pullup bar, an ab wheel, and some bands for a few brief mid week home sessions while you wait on the home gym. Blast the heck out of your body on the weekends, and so some quick stuff during the week.

X3 Bar

Search for X3bar by Jon Jaquish or undersun Fitness.

Last edited:
I would get a black widow angled dip station and built in multi grip pull up bar and focus serious work on those when you cant make it to the gym.
Weighted dips totally transformed my upper body like nothing else, they didn't call it "the squat of the upper body" for no reason. I have veins bulging out of my shoulders and the only upper body lift I've done besides push ups and pull ups is my meat and potatoes of 5 sets of heavy dips and some drop sets close together.
Also got some serious development out of trap bar deads in my back yard for intensity and frequency.

when I have the room, I will get a rack and an SSB, a power bar and a few heavy dumbbells and couldn't picture needing anything else. A belt squat would be nice.

I agree with the brothers. Upper body then lower body, simple and easy. That's the way I would do it since its back to back days. If you had a couple days in between I would recommend full body both days.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131