over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training?

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Seems like we hardly talk about training here anymore :(

So what is everyone's current training split? Bodyparts, days of the week, high volume, low volume, etc...

What are your training goals? How do you monitor your training progress? Do you train for strength progression, or do you train for "the pump"?

I'm interested in hearing what you all are currently doing :)

As for me, I'm working with Phil.. so I shouldn't give too many details.. but if you search this board you'll find the general premises of his approach (lower volume, high frequency, etc.)

Split: Day one - chest
Day two - back and traps
Day three - shoulders
Day four - bis and tris
Day five - legs
Day six - cardio and abs
day seven - off
I also do 30 min mod cardio on chest, shldrs and arm days. Hitting each bodypart only once a week, I try to obliterate it. I do 20 sets typically for chest, back and shdrs, 12 for bi's, tri's and traps. Legs are probably somewhere between 25-30 sets split between quads, hams and calves.
I'm currently at 215 lbs and about 9-10% bodyfat for the summer. Come the fall I will look at trying to get up to 225 - 230 range trying not to let bodyfat get above 12%.

Ah, good reminder about what this community is really about.

My question -
After starting to use wrist straps, i do have a question about when to increase weight.

I'll use dead lifts as my example (probably b/c those are my favorite right now).
I've realized that i can lift a lot more weight using the straps. When should I start increasing the weight?

I'd taken my reps right down, and I've always had a mental goal of 3 set of 6. If i can do that much, then I can increase the weight.

Does that sound reasonable? And by how much weight should I be aiming to increase it by? While I don't want to kill myself, I do want a real challenge if I'm going for strength ...

Suggestions?

My routine

I am prepping for the Caveman Classic which is in 2.5 weeks. This is how my split and training looks.

Day 1: Chest, 30 minutes cardio
Day 2: Back, ABS, 30 minutes cardio
Day 3: Legs, 40 minutes cardio
Day 4: Shoulders, ABS, 30 minutes cardio
Day 5: Biceps, Triceps, 20 minutes cardio
Day 6: Back, ABS, 40 minutes cardio
Day 7: Light Legs, 40 minutes cardio

My cardio is very light at 65% of my max heart rate. My training is 4 exercises of 3 sets each for bigger muscle groups, 3 exercise of 3-4 sets each for smaller muscle groups. I train ABS with 3-4 sets of 20 reps of weight crunches! It seems like a of training, but I rest as need fdoing precontest and have 2 days of rest doing the week on my offseason routine.

I get about 8-9 hours of sleep every night.

The cardio is significantly comes down in the offseason and I do very basic compound exercises and EAT!

I am DC Training on the 3 day split...........I broke personal record #263 in the gym last night I think......This program has done wonders for me and my motivation in the gym.......I really enjoy going and trying to destroy log book everyday.....

Aqua to answer your questions yes if weights you are using feel too light and cause you to do alot of reps esp on deads then increase slowly...for instance my next deads session I will be adding five pouds to my heavy set.....A little bit goes a long way......

Aqua to answer your questions yes if weights you are using feel too light and cause you to do alot of reps esp on deads then increase slowly...for instance my next deads session I will be adding five pouds to my heavy set.....A little bit goes a long way......

Thank you! :)

And congrat's on your new personal best. I had to admit as well, lifting more does do something for the ego too ;)

day 1.. chest - noon, tri - after work

day 3.. back - noon, bi - after work

day 5.. shoulders noon, EOW legs after work

if I can't make the after work bodypart, i make it up at noon the next day

I try to keep my weekends free.

that being said.. my workout partner is screaming at me over MSN about "CNS recovery" as we speak....

My training split usually goes like this:

Day 1: Quads & abs
Day 2: Chest & tri's
Day 3: Back & bi's
Day 4: Shoulder & traps
Day 5: hams & calves
Day 6 & 7: off days

I find better results splitting my legs workout over two days, but lately I've been training them all the same day, because I end up missing a day. I'm also trying to get 3 days/30 mins of cardo.

Ah, good reminder about what this community is really about.

My question -
After starting to use wrist straps, i do have a question about when to increase weight.

I'll use dead lifts as my example (probably b/c those are my favorite right now).
I've realized that i can lift a lot more weight using the straps. When should I start increasing the weight?

I'd taken my reps right down, and I've always had a mental goal of 3 set of 6. If i can do that much, then I can increase the weight.

Does that sound reasonable? And by how much weight should I be aiming to increase it by? While I don't want to kill myself, I do want a real challenge if I'm going for strength ...

Suggestions?

aquaholic, a friend of mine who helps me with my precontest training & diet tells me that I should increase my weight on each set. However, realistically it doesn't always happen that way. If I can get 8 steady reps in with the weight I'm using then I go up on the next set.

I track my diet using Fitday and keep a training log to make sure I'm heading in the right direction with things. My goal is to get as close as possible to looking somewhere between Branch and his workout partner.

Currently 6'3 265# somewhere around 17%bf with much work ahead of me.

Monday-Chest/tris/abs

Weds-Legs/calves/shoulders/abs

Friday-Back/bis/abs

I am DC Training on the 3 day split...........I broke personal record #263 in the gym last night I think......This program has done wonders for me and my motivation in the gym.......I really enjoy going and trying to destroy log book everyday.....

Franco - are you doing any cardio now?

yeah sorry forgot about that part as I was pretty hyped about DC..LOL...

Cardio:

20mins PWO except for Leg Days and then on my two off days 45min of moderate cardio

Diet:

Carb cycling right now with two cheat meals on Saturday....

General outline 2 weeks out

Mon.
Chest and light tri(detail work)
Tues.
Delts and light Bi(detail work)
Wed.
Back Heavy/thickness
Thur.
Hams, abductors, adductors n Abs
Fri.
Quads light
Sat.
Bis n Tris Heavy
Sun.
Hams n abs
CARDIO
Stepmill Only
20min. pre-breakfast high intensity
Evening 1 hour moderate intensity
Tanning 20 min. morning n 20 min. at night bth before cardio to get warm and sweat rolling

Mon.
Tues.
Wed.
Back Heavy/thickness
Thur.
Fri.
Quads light
Sat.
Bis n Tris Heavy
Sun.
Hams n abs
CARDIO
Stepmill Only
Tanning 20 min. morning n 20 min. at night bth before cardio to get warm and sweat rolling

:eek: :eek: :eek:

For those of you who train with a higher volume, how do you assess training progress? Do you still try to get stronger on all movements? Add sets, decrease rest periods?

good topic!

my trainig right for the last 5-6 weeks has been a litl ebit of everything...

this week for quads i did 5 sets of 20 reps for squats and then 3 sets of leg ext.

for back i did pulldowns for 2 sets, bent rows for 2 sets, deads for 2 sets and seated cable pulley rows for 2 sets and kept my rep range in the 10-12s

chest i did a giant set of flat bench, incline dumbell presses, lying cable flys, and some inlcine smith presses. no rest between them and did this circut 3 times and i was good...

i have been trying a new style of training daily to change things up.... it is alsio helping me to stay leaner while eating more food......

something new for me

well, im doing something i have never done before...olympic lifting. being that i want to be a strength and conditioning coach, i decided i really need to become a technician in these lifts because they are the foundation of most collegiate+ athletic programs. ive been training for about 8 weeks now and love it! i have some VERY good coaches (2 national level competitors in olympic lifting, and 1 who was ranked 13th in the world a few years ago when he competed and he also trained and coached at the OTC in colorado.) my goal is to compete end of may next year in the state competition. here's my general work capacity program ive been on for 8 weeks:

mon/wed/fri
cleans 3x7 (dropped it down to 4x3 last 2 weeks because i'm going heavier and from the floor)
jerks 5x5
front squat 5x10
deads 5x10

2x/wk on a tue/thur/or sat
pullups 3x12 or inverted rows+scapula adduction 3x10+10
dips 3x8, 5, 3 (lockout strength)
db flat bench 3-4x6-12

some kind of ab/core work 3x/wk and either running or interval sprints 2x/wk on the assistance day.

well, im doing something i have never done before...olympic lifting. being that i want to be a strength and conditioning coach, i decided i really need to become a technician in these lifts because they are the foundation of most collegiate+ athletic programs. ive been training for about 8 weeks now and love it! i have some VERY good coaches (2 national level competitors in olympic lifting, and 1 who was ranked 13th in the world a few years ago when he competed and he also trained and coached at the OTC in colorado.) my goal is to compete end of may next year in the state competition. here's my general work capacity program ive been on for 8 weeks:

mon/wed/fri
cleans 3x7 (dropped it down to 4x3 last 2 weeks because i'm going heavier and from the floor)
jerks 5x5
front squat 5x10
deads 5x10

2x/wk on a tue/thur/or sat
pullups 3x12 or inverted rows+scapula adduction 3x10+10
dips 3x8, 5, 3 (lockout strength)
db flat bench 3-4x6-12

some kind of ab/core work 3x/wk and either running or interval sprints 2x/wk on the assistance day.

That's really interesting, and also very cool. I'm too clumsy to try any of that fancy stuff, but I am thinking about doing a powerlifting meet again this fall (I've been solely bodybuilding since early 2005). Can you tell us a bit about your diet right now? Is it much different from how you ate when you were training for bodybuilding?

Thanks...

Hottt and I were training the traditional 4 days per week but recently switched to 6 days per week.

Day 1,4: Chest/shoulders/triceps/calves
Day 2,5: Back/biceps/forearms/abs
Day 3,6: legs/calves

cardio 4 days per week 15-20 minutes

Mon.
Tues.
Wed.
Back Heavy/thickness
Thur.
Fri.
Quads light
Sat.
Bis n Tris Heavy
Sun.
Hams n abs
CARDIO
Stepmill Only

Great information rob roy and that is intense, i like it!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131