over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What did guys think of Mike Mentzer?

Dogg,

I didn't just use HIT theories indescrimantely, or without knowledge. I spent time AT Nautilus Sports Medical in 1987 working with Darden, Paterson, and Hutchins. I was one of the first competitive BB to use the SuperSlow protocol. At the same time, a pro, (it's not my place to name him) used the same exact ideas. He even followed Darden to Texas to train after Jones sold Nautilus. This protocol was a disaster for both of us - I was just dumb enough to stick with it longer than he in an effort to try and make it work.

As part of this I met Mike Mentzer, knew and communicated with him for YEARS. I knew him before his first Heavy Duty book came out. I tried ALL of his methods EXACTLY as he proposed they be done, and because of our personal relationship, was able to "pick his brain" and ask many more questions than even his paying training clients could.

The methods you've described for Cormier and Coleman DO NOT reflect HIT in the way it was proposed or taught by Jones and followers or Mentzer, so contrary to what you think, everyone does NOT train some version of HIT. Go read Jones' articles from the 60's, or Mike's Heavy Duty books I and II.

As to science, most of the outdated ideas you say science would have us follow still have been long since refuted in numerous studies.

I certainly can not say anything about anyone else's results. What i CAN say is how these HIT ideas, AS PRESENTED BY JONES AND MENTZER (as well as their clones such as Hutchins and Darden) have failed to work for me, any of my clients (100's), and of the people I've talked to online (when I did consulting - also 100's), and at least one ver accomplished pro who's carer was almost destroyed!

This is not a personal attack, just a statement of my experience over the 17+ years I've been acquainted with this training philosophy.

I see your point a little clearer now. And I agree that Mentzer and gang started with a principle and kind of went extreme both ways with it. I originally took it as you were saying only volume training works.

Hi Dogg

Sorry if I get a little heated up with these HIT discussions!

I think there are certainly a variety of ways to train. I must just be a little slow, 'cause I've had to wade through a lot of trail and error to get a sense of what works for me - and I'm still learning! I've told people that if I posses ANY advantage, it's simply that I've been around long enough to make more mistakes than most people LOL!

Thanks for the critique - these always make me think!

Dad

amen

Dad said:
I knew Mike, and talked with him many times, as well as trying all of his training ideas. We both spent time with Nautilus in DeLand, FL, before Jones sold the company in 1987.

Mike was sincere, but poorly educated. He took Jones' ideas to their logical, yet ridiculous extreme - like training two sets per workout once every two weeks. I've posted my opinions before on the whole Nautilus/Superslow/HIT nonsense, so will spare you all that speech. Toward the end of his life, Mike was beginning to privately acknowledge that training to failure every set of every workout was too much, even for those on the gear. The regular use of forced reps, negatives and the rest of these so-called intensity increasing gimicks just makes the situation worse.

What people have already posted about his antics and personality were certainly true at times, but he was also very alone most of the time, very troubled, felt misunderstood, and struggled with various chemical dependancy problems. He always wanted to do something grand to "awaken" the public, and get them to actually think, and was constantly frustrated in his attempts to do so. He felt the 1980 Olympia robbed him of his true status as the greatest, thinking bodybuilder ever.

He died too young, alone, and deeply frustrated - something we can all hope won't happen to us. Rest in peace, Mike.

Amen, Dad. IronMike

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity