over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why do you eat what you eat ??

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I'm not talking about macros but more along the lines what makes you chose the foods you eat.
For Instance I see alot of people make chicken breast a majority of their Protein intake , why use chicken instead of fish or turkey??
Why do do you choose rice instead of potatoes , or nuts as a fat source.

Just wondering if its due to cost , taste , a specific amino profile??

I personally like to keep my Protein mixed , generally red meat , fish , eggs and turkey because I digest it well , plenty nutritients and doesn't get burnt out.
Carbsfrom fruit and sweet potato because they are nutritient dense.
Fats from beef , egg yolks , avocado , olives and olive oil again for the nutritient profile

I love turkey as much as chicken.

My choices are based on the ease and convenience of cooking and packing.

I use fat sources like nuts and flaxseed instead of rice.

Proteins and fats: eggs, pork, turkey and chicken, salmon, cod, sardines, anchovies, coconut oil, flax seeds, pliva oil, nuts, butter.

Carbs: Dextrose, oats, fruits (usually apples), broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, whole coconut

The primary reason is I want to look, feel, and perform a certain way, and I know the foods that get me there.

Other important considerations:
  • Digestibility - if you can't digest it well, your body is unlikely to benefit from it; this can change over time
  • Quality - grass-fed; organic; fresh; eating is the thing you do the most each day that impacts your health so you need quality food
  • Taste - the least important thing, but it's easier to get all the food down if you actually like what you're eating
  • Variety - diets don't have to be the same thing over and over; I don't eat a big variety of stuff but I mix and match and never get tired of what I eat
My protein sources:
  • 98% ground beef
  • Chicken breast
  • Chuck roast
  • Skirt steak
  • Shrimp (haven't eaten any this year but it's been a staple for years)
  • True Nutrition custom protein mix
  • Whole eggs
  • Egg whites
My carb sources:
  • Cranberry juice
  • Uncle Ben's rice
  • Simply Potatoes southwest hash browns
  • Nick's light ice cream
My fat sources:
  • Sunflower butter
  • Almond butter
  • Nuts - pretty much any except almonds or peanuts
  • Whole eggs
  • Macadamia oil (for cooking)

I eat as much beef as I can. Red meat is hands down the best most nutrient dense food there is. That said it’s expensive, so the rest of my daily protein comes from one egg meal(always use the yolks. That’s where the good stuff is) and chicken for the rest. Chicken is cheap and I find no difference between it and turkey nutrition wise.
I also have salmon at least 3 times a week for the omega fatty acids and to break up the eating monotony.
I do have one protein shake daily post workout as well.
I eat these foods because their highly digestible for me as well. Red meat specifically digests very quickly for me. It’s also my main fat source. I have ibs and adding fats such as olive oil, avocado oil, and things like that give me major stomach problems. The fat from beef doesn’t do this to me for some reason so I stick to fattier cuts to hit my daily fat needs. I have also switched to only cooking my foods in rendered beef tallow and it seems to give me much less trouble than processed vegetable fats

Taste
Routine
Ease of Preparation
I second this. I’m a picky eater. Being a picky eater I’m okay with eating the same things day in and day out.
Another huge factor for me is digestibility. I don’t care how “healthy” a food is compared to another I’m big on how food makes my feel.
Liquid egg whites are good portion of my protein intake and recently I’ve started eating a lot of pistachios and almonds. It is all easy and light on my stomach and easy to pack and eat on busy days. Besides one day a week I can pretty much tell someone exactly what I going to eat for the next week.

My sole carb sources are white rice and Gatorade/dextrose. usually sticky white rice as it’s high in amylopectin and low in amylose making it digest much more quickly. Having ibs my appetite sucks so anything that digests fast and gives me more room at my next meal is a huge bonus.
And of course I’ll eat the random meal or snack with my family just for sanity’s sake

Personally, I noticed I cannot go low fat in the offseason - contrary to the popular devise of many coaches. My skin complexity changes rapidly, when I include healthy foods like olives and avocados.
Fats do in fact lubricate my skin, especially those unsaturated.

I do eat grapes, especially dark ones - for some antioxidant action.
Yogurt, mainly for gut health and healthy bacteria.
All kinds of potatoes for potassium.
Eggs, for choline and brain funcion.

And many more foods, which are meant to not only serve a for bodybuilding function, but rather for health and longevity and other purposes.

Proteins and fats: eggs, pork, turkey and chicken, salmon, cod, sardines, anchovies, coconut oil, flax seeds, pliva oil, nuts, butter.

Of course, also whey, and casein, my dinner along with yolks, butter and vegetables for more than 10 years

My stomach is fucked so I learned what I digest well in large quantities to hit the macros I seem to require to grow. If I deviate, my asshole pays for it which cant be good for achieving my goals.

Chicken and eggs because it’s cheap and a great source of protein. I love to throw in 96/4 beef a few times a week same with salmon but this does get expensive every week so I opt for chicken and egg whites majority of the time just because of the cost/benefit ratio

Ease of digestion, ease of use of the protein source (how flexible it is in preparation), and cost/availability.

For me, I alternate between lean beef and chicken breast in most major meals outside breakfast.
Ironically in Japan fish is expensive, and chicken breast is quite cheap (60c per 100g).
Also in Japan, people like fatty meats, so the lean stuff imported from Australia is available at a discount relative to other markets.

Carbs are all about digestion for me. Mostly white rice, oats, pasta.

Egg whites, fish, a little chicken or turkey
Spinach, cucumber, green beans
unsweetened almond milk
a bit of strawberry

For rare carb up days - oatmeal and cream of rice

My metabolism can only handle this

For me, food must meet the following parameters:
1) Easy to prepare for the day for multiple meals
2) It is highly desirable that other family members can eat it
3) have good taste
4) It is easy to take it with you to work and eat it cold or just warm it up in the microwave
5) It shouldn't contain a lot of fat.
6) Shouldn't be controversial in terms of health if I haven't eaten it regularly before
7) Low glycemic index is a plus
8) Contains moderate amounts of fiber
9) Adequate price is a big plus
10) And of course food shouldn't cause digestive problems

Due to the need to follow a strict diet(it seems like for the rest of life) with low amounts of fat evenly distributed throughout the day, I additionally look at the fatty acid profile.

For Instance I see alot of people make chicken breast a majority of their Protein intake , why use chicken instead of fish or turkey??
I eat chicken breast, although I'm not very happy - boiled it is not the most delicacy. It has a good price, it is white meat unlike poultry legs and is low in fat.

Taste, health, convenience (my meals are almost always cooked fresh but usually take no longer than ten minutes of actual time dedicated). Whole, nutrient dense foods that agree with my stomach and digestion. Lowish carb (100-150g a day, currently), plenty of heart healthy fat. High protein, usually end up around 300g and I weigh between 190 and 200. Plenty of fruit, fungi and vegetables. Very sustainable and keeps me dry, lean and vascular. Feeling pretty awesome and that's what I want.

My main goal? If I die early, it sure as hell won't be because of the way I ate

Here I'll just show you although some foods were cut off. Losing fat slowly

Screenshot_20210414-032707_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Last edited:
Digestibility is alpha omega for me. I wanna feel good after I ate, i dont want to feel bloated, bad etc.

And then what i feel on the day, some day i pick chicken, then maybe turkey.. maybe with rice, pasta, in a homemade buritto, sweet potatos, all food I digest well and vary the sources to keep it a bit interesting. Even when i eat junkfood I pick the one that doesnt bloat me

My main driving force behind my food choices is IBS. There are a lot of foods I can't eat without severe bloating or worse.

I eat what I eat
To look how I look
😃

Digestibility, cost effectiveness and nutrient density.

Most of my protein comes from ground beef because it’s cheap, lean and nutritious. Vegetables are chosen based on what I digest best which is mostly spinach and peppers. Carbs are pretty much all from white rice because I can eat that by the ton with no bloating whatsoever, with a couple of bits of fruit per day.

My main driving force behind my food choices is IBS. There are a lot of foods I can't eat without severe bloating or worse.
Same. My food list is pretty short

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity