over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why is milk and chocolate milk not a good post workout option

Push50

Rep for Uncle Z.
Registered
Even just the Dairy alone is not a good thing to have post workout. Milk is packed with natural sugars, proteins and fats. Although the sugar source in milk is Lactose and it doesn't spike blood sugar levels as much as refined sugars. Once you add the chocolate, you add the refined sugars as well. Dairy is an insulin secretagogue, therefor it prompts the pancreas to secrete insulin. A study of type 2 diabetics found that after consuming milk, their insulin response was 5 times greater than expected based on milks carb content.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00873217
The spike in insulin may decrease the rise in glucose but it can leave you more insulin resistant the following day.
So! In my opinion!
No, Chocolate milk post workout is not acceptable.

Even just the Dairy alone is not a good thing to have post workout. Milk is packed with natural sugars, proteins and fats. Although the sugar source in milk is Lactose and it doesn't spike blood sugar levels as much as refined sugars. Once you add the chocolate, you add the refined sugars as well. Dairy is an insulin secretagogue, therefor it prompts the pancreas to secrete insulin. A study of type 2 diabetics found that after consuming milk, their insulin response was 5 times greater than expected based on milks carb content.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00873217
The spike in insulin may decrease the rise in glucose but it can leave you more insulin resistant the following day.
So! In my opinion!
No, Chocolate milk post workout is not acceptable.
Appreciate the information and education, but realistically this very basic shit for this forum.
This aint Bodybuilding.com where 17-year-olds are asking questions about whether creatine works or not.
This is a hardcore BBing forum.

I always use food when possible even pre and post. I think alot of people starting out think there's something magic about well marketed powders and weight gainers. If your just looking to add some muscle and be lean you don't need 6 k calories where you think eating is a chore. If your goal is to be huge your going to need to learn to eat calorie dense foods aka steak vs chicken breasts and whey. When I worked with Alex a many years ago the first thing he did was have me drop all those powders and and aminos my previous coach was having me use and eat all real food. When calories went up we didn't add in scoops of whey we changed a chicken potato meal to steak and potato. Train hard, do cardio hard, hunger should be there, if not make food choices more calorie dense.

I have it all the time post-w/o with my whey, depending on my goals. There ARE studies showing beneficial effects post-w/o. If you can tolerate it (ie not lactose intolerant etc), it's awesome.

Still not sure why a 70% whey 30% casein protein source that manages to INCREASE insulin post workout would be a bad idea?? Sounds pretty ideal to me for the average lifter.

Oh man I have a weakness for chocolate milk ever since I was a baby, so a small glass after workout hits the spot for me. I can't see the fuss about a lil' sugar post workout as long as you don't go totally overboard.

1. Because many guys have issues digesting lactose

2. Milk causes bloating for many guys

3. Every 250ml of chocolate milk contains 9g of protein. Most guys opt for 50g or more post work out. Drink 1.25l of chocolate milk and tell me how your gut feels

4. Most guys don't want more much fats directly post work out as it would slow digestion, and chocolate milk contains 2.5g of fats for every 250ml x5 = 12.5g of fats that you ideally wouldn't consume directly post work out.

5. Isolate whey is just a faster digestion and better form of protein, and there are also better carb options.

-----

As @emeric delczeg said - Thank you for the info, but no thank you, there are far far better options.

I drink fat free milk in every protein shake I drink and it seems just fine to me. It’s never given me any issues. Before my Gaul bladder was removed it was whole milk at least a gallon a day. Was the only protein supplement I had for the better part of my weight raining history.

I like a couple of Fairlife protein shakes post workout with 4ius of GH. If you mix the 26 gram and the 42 gram ones you’ll get 68grams of protein, 35 gram of carbs for 470 calories. And they are lactose free.

I like a couple of Fairlife protein shakes post workout with 4ius of GH. If you mix the 26 gram and the 42 gram ones you’ll get 68grams of protein, 35 gram of carbs for 470 calories. And they are lactose free.
i just drank one right now they are bomb, the core power line is the 42 grams i believe they are delicious too! where is cheapest place to buy these in bulk? amazon is sold out often, at Walmart i can seldom find them

i just drank one right now they are bomb, the core power line is the 42 grams i believe they are delicious too! where is cheapest place to buy these in bulk? amazon is sold out often, at Walmart i can seldom find them
I get them from Sams Club at a good price. Not a lot of selection though. But the price is good.

Unfortunately I’m lactose intolerant , I drink a glass of milk I can stand flat footed a shit through a screen door.!!
I used raw goat milk for a while and that worked out fine , I even did some blood glucose testing after it and it didn’t cause any more spike that a comparable amount (macros) of fish sweet potatoes and nuts , I’m guessing the fats and lactose.
I personally like whey isolate and coco krisp post workout , i could get in 50g protein and carbs each and be hungry by the time i got home

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws