over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Just something I noticed today.

Dusty Hanshaw

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So last week I was flipping through a muscle and fitness and reading about the glory days of BBing. As I read the article I found myself wishing I was in the scene back in the day. When the sport was a brotherhood and although Arnold and company all competed against one another they were almost like a family. It was a bond forged by iron that lasts between each of them even to this day. After reading the article I sat and thought of what it must have been like to train among your rivals who also happened to be some of your best friends. How it must have felt to be a member of such a tight nit group who all had the same love of the iron game as well as respect for one another. Again I just wished I could have been there and experienced it all first hand.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I was just finishing a grueling leg workout with my training partner who I call the mute and another good friend of mine who lurks here but never posts. We had all just taken ourselves to what felt like the brink of death. An achievement that none of us could have accomplished without the silent rivalry that happens amongst friends at the gym. Each of us pushing one another to reach our absolute best while also trying to outdo one another. The workout was complete and we all went into Rob Roy's Fit By Design studio to bullshit and talk trash. As I was sitting there amongst RobRoy, Best Poser, The Mute, Tone, GrassMan,(sorry had to come up with a name), G Gazel and myself I couldn't help but notice that I don't need to wish I lived back in the days of Arnold and Franco, we are living them now. I noticed that I was surrounded by some of the best athlete's and people I know and we are much like a family bound by our love of the iron. So to those who say the glory days of BBing being a brotherhood are over all I can say is come train with us, because from where I sit the old timers just laid the foundation that we are building on. Where we train anyone is welcome to join but if you do come bring a toothbrush because work always comes before play.

would be nice.....im the only male competitor in the shore area of NJ unless i go 1hr either north or south...but my area....is just me ...most people around here dont even know what a bodybuilding competitor is. "is that like on tv where they lift tires?" :(

It is nice to have a group of people pushing you. Now that I train solo, I miss those days because I know my workouts are not as good. Being in the company of people with the same goals makes you better.

Your lucky, the only person I get to talk trash to is JT and he's better at it than me. :mad:

The brotherhood is very much alive and well. I just wish I had more hard core lifters near me. Or even just a good old hard core gym.

So last week I was flipping through a muscle and fitness and reading about the glory days of BBing. As I read the article I found myself wishing I was in the scene back in the day. When the sport was a brotherhood and although Arnold and company all competed against one another they were almost like a family. It was a bond forged by iron that lasts between each of them even to this day. After reading the article I sat and thought of what it must have been like to train among your rivals who also happened to be some of your best friends. How it must have felt to be a member of such a tight nit group who all had the same love of the iron game as well as respect for one another. Again I just wished I could have been there and experienced it all first hand.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I was just finishing a grueling leg workout with my training partner who I call the mute and another good friend of mine who lurks here but never posts. We had all just taken ourselves to what felt like the brink of death. An achievement that none of us could have accomplished without the silent rivalry that happens amongst friends at the gym. Each of us pushing one another to reach our absolute best while also trying to outdo one another. The workout was complete and we all went into Rob Roy's Fit By Design studio to bullshit and talk trash. As I was sitting there amongst RobRoy, Best Poser, The Mute, Tone, GrassMan,(sorry had to come up with a name), G Gazel and myself I couldn't help but notice that I don't need to wish I lived back in the days of Arnold and Franco, we are living them now. I noticed that I was surrounded by some of the best athlete's and people I know and we are much like a family bound by our love of the iron. So to those who say the glory days of BBing being a brotherhood are over all I can say is come train with us, because from where I sit the old timers just laid the foundation that we are building on. Where we train anyone is welcome to join but if you do come bring a toothbrush because work always comes before play.

Wow, you read my mind Bro! We think too much alike. That's scary for whoever walks through our door.:) We're developing some solid athletes in AZ these days. It kinda reminds me of the stories that I hear about a few years back here in AZ w/ JJ Marsh, Phil and so many others that were just beasts. it's a new era, but I'm finding the brother/sisterhood becoming exactly what I hear from the stories. It may not be Arnold and Franco battling for the O, but it's really all just relative. You can expect to see some solid competitors coming out of AZ over the next year.

Really wish I could train in that same atmosphere you guys seem to have created in AZ. :)

Where I workout at, it's me against myself and that's all :mad: :(

If I fail, don't show enough willpower to get that extra rep, I've absolutely no one to make me feel guilty :eek: ;)

Really wish I could train in that same atmosphere you guys seem to have created in AZ. :)

Where I workout at, it's me against myself and that's all :mad: :(

If I fail, don't show enough willpower to get that extra rep, I've absolutely no one to make me feel guilty :eek: ;)

I'm in the same boat.

I am jealous, i am the only hard core gym in town and at times I get lonely for that brotherhood i used to enjoy with my best friend and some of the other big boys I sed to knock around with. Those were some of the best times in and out of the gym. Now I train alone in my own little world and can't keep a training partner to save his own life!! LOL.

I do envy you guys, keep it up brothers!! One day maybe I will come and join you, that is if you would let a frail old man in and have a go!!!:eek:

Awesome story, Dusty.

I am happy for you guys. Along the same lines- One of my best friends and I got done with a workout and met his father outside the gym. His dad is 65 and finally got himself a Harley. He looked at all of us and said the following,

"Guys, you know all that stuff they say about enjoying your golden years? Well, it's bullshit. Enjoy yourself now. These ARE your golden years. You get to a certain age and you can't really enjoy things to their fullest the way you can right now."

Your post reminds me of the day my friend's dad told us those words of wisdom.

Im jealous. You are very lucky and fortunate to have such a strong core group of gentlemen that seek the same desires as yourself. I unfortunatly train alone and have for quite a while. :(

I am jealous as well.... I train alone at home and only have my logbook to keep me honest. I havn't had days like those since high school.....Good post.

What a great story and thread! Its really awesome that you guys are developing something so special in AZ. Maybe more grassroots stories is what this sport needs? One thing that troubles me about bodybuilding is how selfish a sport it can be... However, your story Dusty proves just the opposite!

I train at a very small gym without the brass and music videos playing on the walls. The plates and db's are a bit rusted. A few powerlifters. Grunting is definitely allowed, Some cardio equipment, etc... Everyone knows everyone's name in my gym. We shoot the bull after training... I've trained at the big corporate gyms too. The planet fitnesses, the Golds, the LifeTime Fitnesses, etc... I never get that same connection with people at those gyms. Its like going to a University with 60,000 people versus going to one with 10,000.

I've also trained at Ronnie's gym in Arlington, Tx. That place is definitely a hardcore gym. Everything's old and rusted. Its very small. Equipment is all over the place. DB's up to 250lbs. Loud ass rock music playing. Without a doubt...also some of the nicest people I've come to know. A lot of talent is coming out of that gym(both powerlifters and bodybuilders). They even have strongmen and MMA. Very supportive atmosphere. Everyone spots one another. If you set a PR lift...one of the Pro's come over and pose for a photo with you. Very cool place. This sport would benefit from more of that.

Thanks Rob

We the people of the Yuma,Az Bodybuilding Delegate... lol! We have a handfull but ...we don't all click... Its get frustrating... thats why I need to come out and see Rob and Hutch.. and show me the gauntlet... what do you say? I'm up for the challenge...

Last edited:
Good thread/post DH.
Kinda envious a bit too as I moved awayfrom such an environment about 8 years ago in which my long term training partner opened up a hardcore gym in a small town.
I think there still is a lot of camardie in the sport at the gym level-what I can't stand about today is how all the pros and top amatuers seemed to be owned by Flex and MD and we never see these guys -precontest-everybody stays covered up!

We the people of the Yuma,Az Bodybuilding Delegate... lol! We have a handfull but ...we don't all click... Its get frustrating... thats why I need to come out and see Rob and Hutch.. and show me the gauntlet... what do you say? I'm up for the challenge...

Our door is always open for the willing! You're a good dude, we'd love to work with ya. Let me know when you wanna come out. We are SICK, there's our forewarning. Be careful what you wish for.

This thread has a great vibe. Nice to see a positive attitude towards what we have today. On the other side of the coin, I stopped working out with others a while ago. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but I just ran out of time. I also realized that when I would work out with others to the extent listed here, all of us always ended up over training. My question to you guys is; How do you keep yourselves from over training? You guys are vets, and I know everyone wants to be able to have input on the workout while you are all together, but simply put, if you all chime in and you all do what each of you expect, how do you keep the overtraining metric stable and on the positive side?
Great post thought Dusty.

Ok

Our door is always open for the willing! You're a good dude, we'd love to work with ya. Let me know when you wanna come out. We are SICK, there's our forewarning. Be careful what you wish for.

I just got of the phone with Big Ronnie and just confirmed... let me look at the schedule really quick.... feb.24.. its on... the deal have been made.. :eek:

I just got of the phone with Big Ronnie and just confirmed... let me look at the schedule really quick.... feb.24.. its on... the deal have been made.. :eek:

Come on down man...Everyone is in growth phases down here...Rob hit 220 Im 211 trying to catch up with him...

Wish I could make it up to Robs place more often, it doesnt get better than that...I remember when I was getting ready for the AZ last year...There was about 10 of us in his studio training...Me and KB were both competing in the middles and the whole time we were just talking trash back and forth...Then Rob or someone would throw some more wood on the fire and try to get things riled up again...Morivating place to be...

Dusty:

Though I am not as "hardcore" as many here are, the two guys I mostly train with are it and it makes all the difference. I just do not drive myself as hard alone. Maybe a lack of self discipline. But jeez, it seems easier , and time goes by faster working out with fellow "meatheads".

I have known/ worked out with these guys off and on for twenty years, that helps. And I will tell you this, when I had heart problems, these guys were by my side like no other. I consider myself lucky.

Pekkerwood

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner