over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

50+ what does your split look like

kscowboy

Kilo Klub Member / Board Supporter
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Im 51 and been in the game for over 30 years. Done almost every split in the books but now that i am over 50, i am looking for the ideal split. Currently doing a P-P-L (MWF) and then Tu&Th doing a functional, body weight routine similar to a crossfit workout but not extreme.

My boys over 50, what does your workout week look like?

I’m 48 and natural and beaten up to shit. my lower Back likes to turn into peanut brittle whenever it chooses

I tried ppl for a couple of months but just can’t seem to recover from back then legs. Especially lower back.

I don’t train that heavy anymore and try to keep things very strict. I found that push and biceps then back and legs together worked pretty well.
low volume
or I’m looking at Dorian’s split
chest biceps
legs
shoulders tris
back.

3 day split chest/back/legs with deads being back - mostly barbell compounds. I alternate things a bit (ie safety squat bar/back squats as well as flat bench/incline). Keeps my workouts to an hour and allows me to train more often which I like as I'm regaining strength and conditioning so less total volume and more frequency. That lets me raise the weight more often and cover more ground. As I get older I can still get strong but sometimes too fast. I take it slow. Will also stay at a weight for a bit and build volume/conditioning before another phase of steady increases.

Usually ppl.Now I'm dieting doing full body 5-6 days per week one set.Jusr making sure the first two days I can maintain or even get an extra rep.The other days are higher reps.Really enjoying this plus I can eat a little more while still dropping bf.Its been a breeze with dnp alt with clen.

PPL, sometimes Upper/Lower.

A/B split rotated MWF
Chest / Back / Shoulders
Arms / Legs

Low volume, high-intensity.
12 reps minimum per set; 20 max sets per body-part per week.

I tend to switch between
Chest/Back/Calves
Quads/Hams/Abs
Delts/Biceps/Triceps
Two or three on, one off

Or
DC 3-way

I'm thinking of going to the DC 2-way or Fortitude again.

For me reps stay mostly above 10, or 12 on the first stage of the DC rest pause.

Full body, every other day, 3x per week.

Or.

Upper / lower; a day off in between.

Or.

Legs / torso / arms; every other day.

In all cases, weekends off.

I change is as i see fit. Do full body for a time, upper/lower occasionally , more often 3 way split that gets changed around. Changing the amount of rest days can effect things as much or more then my split it seems.

Same as always.. every other day.. typical push pull legs.. but sometimes I adjust the smaller muscle groups around.. like it maybe chest delts biceps instead of tris.. etc.. all depends..
Typically chest gets 5 to 7 sets.. back 6 to 9.. delts 6 to 7 sets.. tri 4 sets .. bis 4 sets.. quad 6 sets.. hams 4 to 5.

A/B split rotated MWF
Chest / Back / Shoulders
Arms / Legs

Low volume, high-intensity.
12 reps minimum per set; 20 max sets per body-part per week.
If you hit upper twice in the week do you prioritise chest one day and shoulders the other? so chest pressing Monday and more lateral delt work then Friday say shoulder press and pec Dec type work?
thanks

If you hit upper twice in the week do you prioritise chest one day and shoulders the other? so chest pressing Monday and more lateral delt work then Friday say shoulder press and pec Dec type work?
thanks
Nope, I do the same thing every time. For chest it's Hammer incline and machine flyes. I never saw much benefit in prioritizing one movement over another. Always a compound and isolation movement.

I'm a creature of habit, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Same split at 51 I had at 21
Mon. Chest and triceps
Tues. Back and biceps
Wed. Off
Thurs. Legs
Fri. Shoulders, traps, calves
Sat. Off
Sun. Off

Mon. Chest and triceps
Tues. Back and biceps
Wed. Off
Thurs. Legs
Sat. Off
Sun. Off

Brad- so you've always trained 4 days a week? About how long is each session? From 1st work set to last.

Brad- so you've always trained 4 days a week? About how long is each session? From 1st work set to last.
45 min to an hour max

Yes I have trained more for short periods (hernon full body workout) and other training systems and sometimes pre contest I add a 5th day deep in the diet but for the majority of my life it's been 4 days per week.

Mon. Chest and triceps
Tues. Back and biceps
Wed. Off
Thurs. Legs
Sat. Off
Sun. Off
You've tried other styles over the years but always come back to this one. In your experience, do you feel the higher frequency protocols are slightly overrated? Some people try to push the notion that twice the frequency means twice the progress. However, we know that there is a point where muscle can only grow so fast. Just wanted your opinion on that.

You've tried other styles over the years but always come back to this one. In your experience, do you feel the higher frequency protocols are slightly overrated? Some people try to push the notion that twice the frequency means twice the progress. However, we know that there is a point where muscle can only grow so fast. Just wanted your opinion on that.
If I was 20-35 yrs old sure, no problem. You have to understand that when I was younger I pretty much was obsessed with being the strongest motherfucker in the gym, this obsession started in highschool. So called bodybuilding wasn't even on my radar it was from getting pretty big by being so strong that people started hounding me about competing in bodybuilding, especially since I stayed pretty damn lean back then.

If I had it all to do over again I would have went a more tradition bodybuilding style of training as soon as I got out of high-school. My training was more a Ronnie Coleman type powerbuilding workout.

Why not now at age 51? Simply because I cause so much trauma to the muscle the way I train I could NEVER recover with a higher frequency routine, my joints are destroyed so I have the strength of a 12 year old child except on legs so I go in now and just cause trauma to the muscle and keep my diet, sleep, and hormones to a level I can recover thus I need as many days off as I can get to repair and recover.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member