over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Alright, Call Me What You Will...

Kaiser

Moderator/Computer Geek
So, over the years I have been feeling my body tighten up more than a crab's ass at high tide. I also want to lighten up and go for a more athletic build as I feel it's more healthy as I get older. Kind of like John Candy in "Stripes". Granted I'm only 36, but I've broken every bone and it's not the years, it's the mileage. So I figure, hell, i'll give this Pilates thing a try tonight. HOLY SHIT! You really understand just how out of shape you are when you try this stuff. I felt like a three toed sloth with the flexibilty of an iron pipe. Now don't get me wrong, I do stretch before just about every workout, but this stuff brings it to a higher level. And the muscles involved, it felt like I never worked them in my life. I barely made it through. I'm going to try it again next week and see if I can make it through Helga's House Of Pain. Give it a try, believe me, it will shock you.

Sounds Like Something I Would Say

I always tell people It's not the years It's the miles. It rings very true after many years of riding bulls! Back then I could do a full split in Wranglers. It felt good to be that flexible. Maybe one day I'll get it back, but I want size also! I guess it will be give and take.

Yes. I've had a similar experience jumping rope the other day.

Not cool, not cool at all. We ran at the civic center a while back. Sort of windsprints, free throw line, half court, free throw line and back to the base line each time. I say "sort of" windsprints because they were about 1/4 speed. We also did a lap backwards, one forwards, etc. I was so damn sore it wasn't even funny. Embarrassing actually.

JT you gotta try this sometime. It's actually very slow and concentrating. Feels like your abs are going to fall off. I was huffing and puffing all the way home. :p

You should see how sore I get after my autoerotic asphyxiation! Muscles I never knew I even had! Oh wait... is that too much information?

I love the sprints. Sounds like you were doing ladders JT. I love latters for power. They'll improve your breakaway. I don't have BBer's legs but they are nice, thick, and strong as hell. I wrote my running (sprinting) routine here once before. Increases your VO2 max, keeps you limber, stretches you hams reducing low back pain, great cardio.

Love em'

I'd like to try pilates. I thought it was a fad but it looks like it's here to stay.

OuchThatHurts said:
You should see how sore I get after my autoerotic asphyxiation! Muscles I never knew I even had! Oh wait... is that too much information?

I love the sprints. Sounds like you were doing ladders JT. I love latters for power. They'll improve your breakaway. I don't have BBer's legs but they are nice, thick, and strong as hell. I wrote my running (sprinting) routine here once before. Increases your VO2 max, keeps you limber, stretches you hams reducing low back pain, great cardio.

Love em'

I'd like to try pilates. I thought it was a fad but it looks like it's here to stay.

There's a problem with my eye when it comes to that. I can't see myself running :D

No but for real, I've tried all kinds of running shoes and I just can't get past the shin splints.
I have the hardest time running

Wouldnt call you anything except crazy. I know how you feel after a full court game of basketball,about 5 games of dodgeball. I was sore for a week. A lot different than doing squats and the sort for some reason. Those classes the girls do are hard when you get in their and do it. They just seem to make it look easy. MM

Kaiser,

The shin splints are a problem with the tibialis anterior muscle.

Yuo'll need to stregthen this by afixing a weight in such a way that you have resistance when you pull your toe up toward your shin (the oppostie of calf raises - it's called dorsiflexion). Sit with a strap around your toe that's attached to a cable with a weight stack. Pull yuor toe back to you, and work this with a few sets a couple of times a week.

Then, you need to stretch this, and can sit with the tops of your feet against the floor sort of sitting on them.

Do these after your running, and gradually (as in over a couple of months) work your way up.

Hope this helps.

Dad said:
Kaiser,

The shin splints are a problem with the tibialis anterior muscle.

Yuo'll need to stregthen this by afixing a weight in such a way that you have resistance when you pull your toe up toward your shin (the oppostie of calf raises - it's called dorsiflexion). Sit with a strap around your toe that's attached to a cable with a weight stack. Pull yuor toe back to you, and work this with a few sets a couple of times a week.

Then, you need to stretch this, and can sit with the tops of your feet against the floor sort of sitting on them.

Do these after your running, and gradually (as in over a couple of months) work your way up.

Hope this helps.

I used to do these years ago before I had the problem. I never knew it would help. I'll give it a shot. Thanks Pop!

Yea , alot of guys don't give credit to folks that do other things. I've seen guys that looked like they were in good shape puke half way through a MMA session , you don't relize how much energy you expend making strong deliberat movements. I remember I took Kung Fu for a while and just the warm ups would kick your ass , slow ,steady ,flowing smooth movemnet take alot of muscle work especialy when you 6'3" 300lbs , now you know why you never see big guys playing in Kung Fu flicks.
I've wanted to try the Pilates but the class at my gym starts way to late for me. Grappeling is an awsome workout though , if you guys have never tried it give it a shot it'll make you more humble to !!

Kaiser said:
So, over the years I have been feeling my body tighten up more than a crab's ass at high tide. I also want to lighten up and go for a more athletic build as I feel it's more healthy as I get older. Kind of like John Candy in "Stripes". Granted I'm only 36, but I've broken every bone and it's not the years, it's the mileage. So I figure, hell, i'll give this Pilates thing a try tonight. HOLY SHIT! You really understand just how out of shape you are when you try this stuff. I felt like a three toed sloth with the flexibilty of an iron pipe. Now don't get me wrong, I do stretch before just about every workout, but this stuff brings it to a higher level. And the muscles involved, it felt like I never worked them in my life. I barely made it through. I'm going to try it again next week and see if I can make it through Helga's House Of Pain. Give it a try, believe me, it will shock you.

I've actually thought about it from time to time and have heard it was great for improving your flexibility. Problem is that you have to have a gym around that you can go to. :p Dang boondocks! I did get talked into trying a dance/step class thingy...I didn't' know any moves so I ended up "stepping" and dancing by myself in the back. :D

Yes, I remember this feeling well "my body tighten up more than a crab's ass at high tide". Bahaha. A year and a half ago I lightened up on the weights(using a higher rep scheme)and making my workouts non-stop from start to finish. Doing cardio on off days and some light stretching. I believe the biggest difference maker was lightening up the weights. That 4-6 rep max stuff and the singles just killed me. I used to think it was the miles I beat into my body over the years. I was wrong. Now I feel great and am limber as hell.

Jig

Another thing I stopped was running. I only use the eliptical. recumbent bike and it has made a world of diff on how my joints feel.

lynx said:
I've actually thought about it from time to time and have heard it was great for improving your flexibility. Problem is that you have to have a gym around that you can go to. :p Dang boondocks! I did get talked into trying a dance/step class thingy...I didn't' know any moves so I ended up "stepping" and dancing by myself in the back. :D

Dance class, how about you get JT in a tutu and snap some pics? :eek: Anyway, I looked into it, and there are some DVDs you can get called Windsor Pilates that you can do at home (Or you could do what I did and download them;)). All you need is a Pilates mat which is basically just a piece of foam. Oh, and also, not sure how far out in the boondocks JT has you but you'll need electricity, a TV and a DVD player too. :D

I will call you smart...LOL....I used to do something very similar that was created esp. for baseball players called functional fitness created by Tom House....I am a big fan of it and like you I am tighter than a mouse's ear now...lol...

Good for you Kaiser, you are not afraid of trying something different to achieve different goals you have set for yourself....

Can I call you "sane"?

I've been doing Iyengar yoga now for 4 months, and it has made a night-and-day difference for me.

I get up at 4:30AM daily, get in 1 hour of yoga and some other stretching before anything else. I'm less fatigued during the day, my lifting is going much better, and I sleep better at night. I hope I have the sense to never stop doing this.

phatrr said:
I've been doing Iyengar yoga now for 4 months, and it has made a night-and-day difference for me.

I get up at 4:30AM daily, get in 1 hour of yoga and some other stretching before anything else. I'm less fatigued during the day, my lifting is going much better, and I sleep better at night. I hope I have the sense to never stop doing this.

Yes, I hear they are not to far off right? I think someone told me that Pilates was Yoga mixed with a couple of other techniques from fitness, aerobics, etc. I like the slow concentrated movement. My friggin abs are burning this morning more than they ever did in my life. And that's no joke.

Yep the Mileage thing is killing me also It feels like the odometer has rolled a few times, but since tearing my quad I've been swimming a couple of times a week and it has helped! I'd like to do yoga but I am afraid I'd break in two:D

TeamZ said:
Yep the Mileage thing is killing me also It feels like the odometer has rolled a few times, but since tearing my quad I've been swimming a couple of times a week and it has helped! I'd like to do yoga but I am afraid I'd break in two:D

Swimming is awesome. Thats a hell of a workout and it's low impact. I was contemplating doing that sometime, but there is only one gym with a pool around my area and it's like 20 minutes away. One of my best friends does nothing but swimming and basketball. He's 51 and in phenominal shape. He doesn't train but from the swimming he's definitely got definition.

People tend to overlook and underestimate things like this. I started doing yoga a couple times a week a few months ago and when I first started doing it I was definitely surprised at how physically taxing it was. The improvement I have seen in my mobility has been tremendous and I am much less tight these days. I'd definitely recommend giving something like this a shot to anyone.

i feel your pain kaiser, literally...

i too am 36 years old. seems like my best years are behind me, especially after last nite.

the city i live in was granted a semi-pro football franchise and they had try outs last nite. just hands and speed drills. no tackle.

this am it feels like i have been kicked in the groin- repeatedly. suprisingly enough though my hammies are ok.

as a side note, if anyone has a good plyrometrics/speed/ flexibilty training program they'd like to share please do so or pm me.

i am a middle LB and wouldn't mind getting my 40 time down.

thanks all and best of luck at helgas tomorrow kaiser.

BFU

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity