over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

close grip bench for triceps

king1033

Registered
just started this exercise for the 1st time because I mainly would always use crushers, ropes, or dumbells for tri's all i can say is i spaced my hands about 10-12 inches apart and OUCH MY WRISTS!!! im a tall guy and have long arms, should i just not mess with this exercise because this really killed my wrists big time...

The simple solution is to lower the bar until upper arm is parallel to torso. Or do floor presses. Use a spacing that's comfortable. As soon as it feels right you'll find your poundages going up fairly rapidly with this exercise.

make sure to keep all the weight on the bottom of your palm (do you call it the butt of the palm?) ... if the weight moves up a bit, it'll strain your wrist... the higher it moves up, the pain goes up exponentially. so make sure to grip it correctly.
I used to get that pain when i used wrist wraps cuz i really couldn't feel where the weight was being placed... after i stopped using them and focusing on where the weight is placed on my wrist, it went away, and my wrists actually started getting stronger (no more pain from other exercises that affect the wrists)

just started this exercise for the 1st time because I mainly would always use crushers, ropes, or dumbells for tri's all i can say is i spaced my hands about 10-12 inches apart and OUCH MY WRISTS!!! im a tall guy and have long arms, should i just not mess with this exercise because this really killed my wrists big time...

how close is your grip to your body? i like close griping with my hands the same width as my shoulder socket. any closer fucks up all my joints from wrist to shoulders.

also like buselmo said i push with the bottom of my palm.

do you flare your elbows out? because that will hurt your wrists. i keep my forerams perpendicular to the floor throughout the lift.

Last edited:
I always used a false grip on this to really get the bar on the end of the palm, as near to your wrist as you can like the others said. A false grip makes doing this easy. Just use a light weight for higher reps for a week or so until you get used to it if youre new to false grip.

I agree with the suggestion of floor presses.

Great exercise that nails the triceps hard.

Plus you can can go nice and heavy with this one, and you have the freedom of using a barbell or dumbbells.

For me...it helps to use the smith machine and thumbs over instead of under (regular grip)

Best exercise for your triceps period! But, you don't have to have your grip very close. My grip is JUST inside shoulder width. Your wrists should stay straight! If the turn in, then your grip is too close. Also, I pull my elbows in so they come down to my sides at the bottom. And for me this real hits the triceps hard

yea i figured my form was off since this was my first time doing this exercise, but my elbows were flared out creating the messed up angle for my wrists, i guess ill just study some youtube videos of some of my favorite pros doing this exercise lol. Im a visual learning type of guy, Thank you everyone for you input!

what about revers grip presses.

I find that I can keep my elbows tucked much closes to my body and my wrist a little farther apart and still hit the tri just as hard as with a closer conventional grip.

No that would be a problem

Use the inside, narrow grip
position on a E-Z curl bar.
This is a vey confortable
hand position for me. I'll
see if I can find a foto . . .

Might be a little silly looking to put 375lbs on an easy curl bar.

this is a great idea, i do it this way myself and it feels so much better on my wrists.

what about revers grip presses.

i've tried these a few times, but this movement just feels so awkward to me. I guess i will just have to get used to it.

i do close grips on a smith machine this way you can really focus on the tri-cep...just a thought

Problem with that is you need a spotter to get the weight up dont you? I think it would be awkward getting that bar up there on a flat bench on your own if youre using 225 lbs plus. Its too short to rack isnt it? I have seen some full length bars that are cambered like an EZ curl bar, my old gym had one and I used it often.

reverse-grip-close-grip-is-much-friendlier-on-my-joints

I alternate between reverse grip and close grips. I like reverse grips because they hit my upper chest as well. Both can hurt your wrist if you have poor form/grip technique. That is where practice comes in. I find that anything above 225 hurts my wrist if i dont wrap regardless of how good my form is

Use wrist wraps.

That's the meathead solution to anything, and it works. Bodypart X hurts, so I'll wrap it. :D

Your hands should be no closer than shoulder width. Also don't attempt to press all the way to your chest. If you're hands are properly positioned and your elbows are staying tucked in, you shouldn't be able to touch your chest.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131