advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does the gym you train at effect your results?

Does your gym matter equipment and environment wise?

• Yes it helps noticeably

Votes: 68 85.0%
  • No you can use any gym and reach the same goal

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pieguy

Registered
Do you guys feel like the gym you train at makes a difference in how far you get or where you end up bodybuilding wise?

Would somebody who trains at a barebone gym with a bench, squat rack, leg press, smith, etc be just as successful as a bodybuilder who had access to a well stocked golds, metroflex or powerhouse?

IMO, gym environment and equipment matters to me greatly, but I'm curious to see if others agree. I find the need for heavy dumbbells, certain isolation machines and machines geared towards a higher strength population to be pretty crucial.

I agree with you.. It def matters to me

I think the type of people who train there make a difference. When I was training in Indiana the gym was packed with kids and you had to wait on dumb asses to get to any of the glamour equipment. It negatively effected my mood and I never wanted to train. My current gym has it's fair share but also has competitive bodybuilders. I find that motivating in a lot if ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, see for yourself:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsRTqAVVDuI"]Bonde da Maromba - Academia Concreto Fitness - Coelho Neto - MA - YouTube[/ame]

It is possible to build a quality physique with just a barbell and free weights, but having specialized equipment can be very beneficial. My gym has most of the basics, but could use a few more specialty items (bands, chains, GHR bench). My training has focused to mainly using free weights these days and they have db''s that go up to 130lbs, so I can't complain too much :)

I forgot to add that this is for a bodybuilder on a quest to become nationally ranked or competitive.

My take, is that you can build the same 98% of the same physique and that you can reach the same result provided that you have the basic equipment to do so.

Mind you, the premise of my opinion is based on the difference in equipment only.

By basic equipment I mean by having access to basic hammer strength machines, life fitness, leg presses, smith, etc that most commercial gyms will have in any well populated city. Dumbbells that go up to a reasonable weight, like 120's which most gyms have, is also important but it doesn't need to go up to 150's or 200's. At the same time, it can't just go up to 60's like some apartment gyms or a home fitness garage gym. Barbells with a simple power rack is important, and also eliminates the need for a flat bench in some cases because you can just bench in the rack. EZ-bars and such is also included. This is the premise of a basic gym.

Now, let's compare that to a "nice" gym like say, Gold's gym or Powerhouse with every piece of equipment able to hit a particular muscle group in every conceivable angle. This gym has dumbbells that goes up to 200's.

I don't believe there is a difference in results, all other things being the same. I think that a lot can be done with the basics, because quality physiques are built and continue to be built with the basics. You can increase the weights used on barbells, vs going heavier on dumbbells for example. Not only can weights used be manipulated, but also with angles/tempo/reps using very basic equipment. Having access to angle-specific machines like a Lat pullover machine is more of a luxury, but it won't get you to point A to point B any faster. Instead just do dumbbell pullovers.

Results is primarily dictated by genetics, drugs, food, time, etc. and worrying about having access to the nicest gym available is just wasted time.

If we were talking maximizing results as a powerlifter though, that's a totally different story. That is where your equipment definitely matters (monolift, deadlift platform, etc)

Basically, I think if most if not all ifbb pros only had access to equipment only offered at a typical 24hr fitness nothing would be different in their physiques. The only thing is that you can say they might be less injury prone because the luxury of having more machines can be argued to be more safe. In terms of actually building muscle, same result.

Last edited:
It absolutely matters and for more than one reason. It's not always just equiptment, it also has to do with comfort and atmosphere.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Biggest thing to me is that around here everyome lags on equipment i could cut my workouta down atleast 30mins if i didnt have to wait

It absolutely matters and for more than one reason. It's not always just equiptment, it also has to do with comfort and atmosphere.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Beat me to it. I was going to say more the environment than the equipment

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Lol if anything that proves the point it matters where you train. The one kid is chunky and looks like he's never touched a weight in his life and the other one just looks like a skinny crack head....

True, but diet is most likely the key factor here. Have you ever seen some guys in prison? Some of those guys are pretty impressive considering their environment and their equipment is anything but impressive.

I sure have a lot more fun training in a gym that's loaded with equipment I haven't used. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

You can grow anywhere. Just look at guys in prison. But, I prefer to have fun while training. Hot girls are a must!!!

For me it doesn't really matter, as long as I know the layout of the gym. The most important thing for me is my IPod gym playlist...that one song that's pumps me up on repeat and I'm killing it no matter where I am.

Sent from Men's Correctional Facility.

I don't believe the end result is different. You either have the motivation, knowledge and creativity to get in a great work out in or you don't. It is a luxury to be in a gym that makes the workout itself easier..IE: not waiting for equipment or space, well maintained equipment.... The only downfall would be if you don't have enough weight available , but I don't think that is the norm.

My gym has a handful of machines that need to be replaced and I find that frustrating. I just deal. Parking sucks and that is the worst part of the experience. I like to workout in an atmosphere that includes people with like minded goals working out..I find it motivating and I always learn something by watching or asking. I agree with cheloz28-tunes are a must (and my prework drink).

I was a member at an old-school "hardcore" gym for almost 10 years and although they didnt have a ton of the new and innovative equipment you see nowadays, it was more than sufficient. We actually had a few competitve powerlifters train there simply because the atmosphere. Unfortunately after over 30 years of business the doors closed 2 years ago. Since then Ive been using La fitness type gyms and even with the extra machines and variety they just dont have the same feel to them :( Nothing beats actual iron plates clanking either!

I think the most important part is training at a gym you regularly attend

Yes, it's important to have hardcore equipment, etc. and people there who are in incredible shape. However, for some this can come off an intimidating. Especially when you're the smaller guy and you have some d*ckhead who thinks he's huge grunting because he's doing the entire stack at a pulley machine and grilling people post set.

Equipment matters but I don't use a lot of BS machines so I think I could get a lot done with a bench squat rack and a few basic machines. I don't do a lot of fancy stuff anyway. Also it all boils down to yourself and how hard you wanna push yourself. You can push yourself hard anywhere you go but to be comfortable around other people like you definetly helps

The more hotties the more motivated you become to look sexy ! LOL

now go train at a gym where powerlifters lift, you will want to become a huge fugly bloated baloon

I think the atmosphere has more of an effect on how someone trains, not so much the results.

Feel free to laugh, but I coud spend all day doing high rep shit at Planet Fitness, enjoying the sights and sounds.

I'm up at 4 am and do heavy compounds in my cold dank basement most of the time, where I can yell naked if I wanted, but I really do like the PF

Been to a couple older gyms with ratty equipment, lots of kids posing in thedead lift area, and the fat powerlifters banging/screaming going on, and I just don't find it enjoyable...prefer my lonely basement to that environment any day

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131