over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Eating Liver vs Plants

Muay Thai

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have been researching the Carnivore "MDs" and their theories.

Interesting theory about plants like spinach kale and broccoli (amongst many) containing phytotoxins (oxalates lecitins etc)

I always thought polyphenols were advantageous to consume.

"Lesser known is the role of polyphenols. These compounds are often referred to as antioxidants, meaning they (supposedly) lower inflammation in the human body when consumed. Examples of plant polyphenols include resveratrol, quercetin, flavonoids, tannins, stilbenes, lignans, curcumin, capsaicin, and many more.

You may recognize many of these compounds. Most of them have been widely promoted as health-boosting. Resveratrol is thought to prevent cancer and curcumin from tumeric has become a certifiable poster child of the health and wellness industry.

What you may not know is that these compounds serve no purpose in plant metabolism. They do not help the plants stay healthy. Instead, polyphenols are either pigments or plant defense mechanisms.

Animals do not have any polyphenols of their own. These molecules are 100% unique to plant biology. When we consume these materials, they don’t become a part of our working biology. Instead, what really occurs is that these compounds cause inflammation. In response, your body produces its own antioxidant, glutathione, which is the compound that actually lowers inflammation.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that polyphenols are bad. If something acts as a stressor that signals your body to improve, that’s still a good thing. Exercise, for example, improves your body first by stressing it. This results in adaptations that include long-term health benefits.

Still, good research on polyphenols has yet to show much benefit. Resveratrol has failed to show it’s purported benefits in human trial and has been mild eat best. Heck, it’s even been linked to negative side effects such as compromising androgen receptors."

does anyone eat liver? what type? how do you cook/prepare it? Does anyone have a favorable experience with the old-school desiccated liver tablets?

does anyone eat liver? what type? how do you cook/prepare it? Does anyone have a favorable experience with the old-school desiccated liver tablets?
I do. Every week or two. It's 60-65% protein by weight, 35% fat and the vitamin profile is exceptional. Plus it tastes good. I do beef liver and chicken livers. Beef liver I dice up and fry with sirloin tips and green peppers. Chicken livers fried by themself in some EVOO or chopped on toast, hard shell liver tacos with onions tomatoes lettuce and sour cream. It's a necessary change up from the monotony of the usual meats. Great for an anything goes day or even during the week.

I do. Every week or two. It's 60-65% protein by weight, 35% fat and the vitamin profile is exceptional. Plus it tastes good. I do beef liver and chicken livers. Beef liver I dice up and fry with sirloin tips and green peppers. Chicken livers fried by themself in some EVOO or chopped on toast, hard shell liver tacos with onions tomatoes lettuce and sour cream. It's a necessary change up from the monotony of the usual meats. Great for an anything goes day or even during the week.
It tastes good to you or you have found ways to make it taste good?

Another alternative out there that really has my interest is some online farmers/direct to consumer have blends of 60-80% beef and the rest is liver or organ meaty that is ground. You supposedly can't even taste a significant difference.

Could never eat liver cooked that way.. only way I'd touch it is in Pâté on some crackers or toast

It tastes good to you or you have found ways to make it taste good?
What does that matter? I've eaten it plain but why? Prepared right it's even better. Just as I do with ANY OTHER meal. The things you say sometimes...🤔

JFC, I could say I like beef and someone would say, "You need to eat more than just beef."

Recently had my first experience with liver. My inlaws and I bought a cow and I took most of the liver. It's taking some trial and error that is for sure but it's growing on me. I'll tell you what...eating the raw bone marrow is unreal. It's like better tasting butter. I'll confess that I got that last part from watching "liver king" but it legit tastes great.

I don't think it's the taste so much that I don't like I just think I'm overcooking the crap out of it each time for some reason I'm extra paranoid about cooking it fully...not really rationale...just a mental thing I guess.

I actually seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and cooked up with some onions and that was pretty damn good!

As much as I’d like to I just don’t feel right eating organs. I’m sure that feeling would go away if I lived in rural Alaska and desperately needed those specific nutrients.

I can do marrow though. Is that a similar nutrient profile?

And I'll confess...because I have no shame...I did start buying desiccated liver and vital organ tablets after watching the liver king videos. His videos prompted me to look deeper into vital organs ie liver, kidneys, bone marrow, testicles, kidney and it's pretty interesting.

Basically now I've been eating the raw bone marrow, eating liver, and taking liver tablets.

As much as I’d like to I just don’t feel right eating organs. I’m sure that feeling would go away if I lived in rural Alaska and desperately needed those specific nutrients.

I can do marrow though. Is that a similar nutrient profile?

If you don't want to eat it raw there are some kick ass recipes online. Different benefits than liver. Most would probably say liver is #1.

Love the LIVER! in all of it's glorious varieties of preparedness and animal origins! breaded and fried, pate', liverwurst, foie gras (although they are azzholes for torturing the poor ducks!) desiccated tablets, powder, etc. etc.

US Wellness Meats has top notch liver, by the way, pretty sure you could sashimi that stuff, but I've yet to try it

One of the most, if not the most, nutrient-dense foods available. You know Orcas will kill a great white shark, consume it's liver, then discard the rest of the carcase? Amazing, they know the deal

according to Beverly Intl., 10 tabs of Ultra40 is equivalent to one pound of whole liver, minus the fat. I prefer the whole powder by CurEase, since the fat-soluble vitamins are present and very easily the best version of them

On an unusually related note, when in a fight, the best body shot to deliver to an opponent is....you guessed it! The Liver Shot! preferably delivered with a knee! Thanks Bas

Polyphenols are supposed to elicit a stress response. This is basic hormesis. Similarly, training causes inflammation but we understand the adaptation process it elicits is extremely healthy.

That being said, I do eat liver. I make a traditional cajun dirty rice with rice, chicken liver, ground beef, ground pork, onions, celery, green peppers.

@emeric delczeg @danieltx @heavyhitter @Gunsmith @luki7788 @pesty4077
Polyphenols are supposed to elicit a stress response. This is basic hormesis. Similarly, training causes inflammation but we understand the adaptation process it elicits is extremely healthy.

That being said, I do eat liver. I make a traditional cajun dirty rice with rice, chicken liver, ground beef, ground pork, onions, celery, green peppers.
yes the stress response can be good to activate some things but not if its affecting e2 etc (via polyphenols) according to this dude

I've always used polyphenol rich compounds personally.

I eat Veal liver everyday. It has a very high content of vitamins, minerals, and protein.

OT: don't mean to derail but I'm open to all liver recipes if you got 'em. I just make it like my mother used to. Try that sirloin tips and diced liver I mentioned. It's really good. The recipe's online or I can tell you how I make it.

On the topic, I would think the benefits of plants outweighs any inflammation you may or may not experience. I have no proof of that though. Soluble fiber pulls water through your intestines and aids digestion, and insoluble fiber moves through sweeping all those impurities and undigested particles lodged in your upper intestine, lower, colon as it goes along while creating bulk.

I don't supplement fiber but I do eat generous portions for digestion. Usually raw vegetables or very quickly steamed. I like the crunch and I don't like mushy veggies with the nutrients cooked out of them.

Dr. Shawn Baker is a huge proponent of the carnivore diet. Mark bell has several good podcasts with him. He recently went head to head with Stan efferding at 415 pound trap bar deadlifts. Managed 22 to Stan’s 25 at 6’5” and 55 years old. Pretty impressive https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYhrtGXBEmw/?utm_medium=copy_link

There’s quite a bit of evidence that many plants contain anti nutrients like goitrogens and oxalates. Things like kale, broccoli, asparagus are all high in these. Essentially anything in the cabbage family. And grains like oats, wheat, barley, etc. produce compounds to stimulate stomach distress and diarrhea in order to cause the animal who ate them to fertilize and “plant” the seed. How much this actually affects us I’m not sure, but I do know I personally can’t tolerate even moderate amounts of some of these foods

@emeric delczeg @danieltx @heavyhitter @Gunsmith @luki7788 @pesty4077

yes the stress response can be good to activate some things but not if its affecting e2 etc (via polyphenols) according to this dude

I've always used polyphenol rich compounds personally.
Not sure what you're looking for but here are my general thoughts.

I've eaten liver twice. I don't care for the taste and I don't see it being so beneficial that it's a must in the diet.

I only eat vegetables when my girlfriend cooks or at a restaurant. I've enjoyed vegetables my whole life - I prefer them cold and raw - but with my current goal of being huge I need as much room for protein and carbs as possible, so no vegetables in my daily diet. But I've taken Juice Plus' orchard / vineyard / garden blends for years to get some of the good stuff from them and I eat 12oz. of fruit every morning.

Overall I think plants are good in the diet and the stress response from polyphenols is likely overall beneficial.

I've followed Dr. Shawn Baker for years. Carnivore is essentially how I eat on weekdays when I diet down for the year. I definitely feel my best eating this way.

Final note - kids come up to me in the gym and tell me I look like Liver King. Don't feel bad if you don't know who he is, one of the kids had to show me.

In countries where there is no grazing area at all, people live almost entirely off seafood and vegetation and have some of the highest life expectancies in the world. It seems like a game of musical chairs every 3-5 years as to what's healthy and what isn't.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131