advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many of you lift for higher reps or cant lift heavy anymore?

mitochondria

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
yall may remember now years ago me posting about ripping my pecs repeativly. Took off plenty of time numerous amounts of times and stopped doing certain lifts completely for a while. Now I have experimented with going lighter weight and more reps has been able to let me do those lifts again without reripping the pecs. Now basically for my upper body lifts i dont ever go to heavy where i can not get atleast 20 reps in so my rep range is like 20 to 35 lol, yall think i can still can big like you guys lol. dont rip your muscles.

Did you rip both pecs ? What exercise did this happen on? What time frame and what degree was the tear? Was it a complete tear? How fast and deep are your reps when you press?

Last edited:
I'm 59 now and looking for longevity so I never do less than 15 reps on any exercise. Sometimes I work chest for 10 sets of 20 reps over 2 exercises. I can see no negative effect on my physique and have very little joint pain aside from a little stiffness in my knees. Been doing this for a few years now and feel pretty darn good. No reason you can't train this way and make gains. I still am.

Nothing wrong with going lighter on reps and yes you can still grow doing it. It's all about fatiguing the muscle and tearing muscle tissue. Over the years I hardly lift heavy anymore. I keep most lifts to at 12 reps very slow and controlled movements. I can say I really think I am in better shape now than when I was lifting heavy all the time and my joints are thanking me for it!

I'm 59 now and looking for longevity so I never do less than 15 reps on any exercise. Sometimes I work chest for 10 sets of 20 reps over 2 exercises. I can see no negative effect on my physique and have very little joint pain aside from a little stiffness in my knees. Been doing this for a few years now and feel pretty darn good. No reason you can't train this way and make gains. I still am.
Tom, in terms of gains, do you actually feel like you're still building lean muscle or are you creating a more dense looking physique? I'm in my 40's and for about 1.5 yrs decided to strictly go the super-set and HIT route and noticed a harder more dense appearance but not a huge difference in terms of size. Everybody's different but I am still interested in what works for others....

Last edited:
After having some kind of nagging injury most the time I backed of the weight and added in more reps.Im on year around and when I blast can still add some size.

I have continued to make good gains in terms of both size and strength with higher rep ranges, and my joints have thanked me. I still compete in powerlifting from time to time, and I simply reduce rep ranges when I get closer to the contest. I get injured far less this way and really feel I will have greater longevity as a lifter.

I've been making my biggest gains this past year and I've been lifting lighter with hither reps better form and smarter training.

Tom, in terms of gains, do you actually feel like you're still building lean muscle or are you creating a more dense looking physique? I'm in my 40's and for about 1.5 yrs decided to strictly go the super-set and HIT route and noticed a harder more dense appearance but not a huge difference in terms of size. Everybody's different but I am still interested in what works for others....

I think you hit the nail right on the head! I would say a more dense look rather than the size thing. But I am extremely happy with how I'm looking pushing 60 years old! So not gaining monster size but still adding visible changes for the better!

I am going this route as well.

Crucify me, but lifting REAL heavy <6rep max, is a young man's game. If I go that heavy now I am suffering.

Now, I really try and keep focus on the TUT and working the muscle. Also I am starting to work my body 2+ times per week ala BBB.

g22

I have torn both rhomboids twice, my acl gives me problems, I got diagnosed with bicipital tendonitis, and I have a couple of crushed disks in the lumbar region. Needless to say I go much lighter than I went in my 20s. It's still heavier than the average person but definitely weak for a person claiming to be 280lbs. You have to lift heavy to grow but if you're trying to keep/maintain what you have been able to accumulate and maintain for a decent amount of time, I have found that it's relatively easy keeping it with just volume.

I had a hard time flat benching the 65's today and 5 years ago I was doing the 130's. Getting old sucks.

Ask Toney Freeman about higher reps and growing. He sticks to 15 plus after injuries. Legs for me are always 20plus reps

I use to throw up 160s on dumbbell bench for like sets with 6 reps. Now if I lift heavy its lil lighter on hammer strength about 350 x 8-10 since its more controlled less chance of injury and dumbbells are used after pre-exhausting chest on hammer strength for higher reps with like 90's for 12-15 reps.

35 now and joints started hurting last couple years and weight went down so no more crazy heavy stuff. Legs seem to grow better with higher reps now anyways.

Seems like after 30 all my max weight started dropping pretty fast every couple years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity