over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much protein is to much and can cause fat gain

Does anyone have any links to Dante’s post on this that was mentioned earlier or something to narrow down the search

I see Stewie is lurking about , I’d love to hear his take on this

I don't have the link but he was re-iterating studies that have come to light that you shouldn't have a problem finding on google. Basically it's all good for high protein diets.

I don't have the link but he was re-iterating studies that have come to light that you shouldn't have a problem finding on google. Basically it's all good for high protein diets.

Again, its literally the one Dr. Stevenson posted above.

Proof high protein works better

Going up to 4.4 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight per day

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19

*****After a treatment period of eight weeks, fat mass increased in all three groups equally (~3.5 kg); however, lean body mass decreased by 0.7 kg in the low protein group in contrast to a gain in the normal (2.9 kg) and high protein (3.2 kg) group. According to the investigators, calories alone contributed to the increase in fat mass; however, protein contributed to gains in lean body mass but not fat mass [11]. Thus, eating extra calories will result in a gain in body fat; however, overfeeding on protein will also result in a gain in lean body mass perhaps due to an increase in muscle protein synthesis.

*****(does this sound familiar? Ive been throwing this at the bodybuilding community since the 90's)
One might suggest that the high thermic effect of protein may make it difficult to gain body weight during times of overfeeding. It has been shown that the greater the protein content of a meal, the higher the thermic effect [34]. Both young and old individuals experience an increase in resting energy expenditure after a 60 gram protein meal (17-21% increase)

*****Another factor that may have played a role in the current investigation is the type of protein consumed in the high protein group. Because of the difficulty in consuming 4.4 grams of protein per kg body weight daily, every subject in the high protein group acquired their additional protein calories primarily from whey protein powder. It has been shown that the thermic effect is greater with whey versus casein or soy protein [39]. Recently scientists demonstrated that consuming similar calories and protein during resistance training in initially untrained individuals resulted in greater gains in lean body mass in the whey supplemented group versus soy or carbohydrate [40]. Another investigation found that muscle protein synthesis after whey consumption was approximately 93% greater than casein and approximately 18% greater than soy. Furthermore, the same pattern held when measured post-exercise (whey > soy > casein) [41]. On the other hand, 48 grams of both whey and rice protein isolate consumed post resistance exercise improved indices of body composition and exercise performance similarly [42]. Thus, one might speculate that if the protein dose or intake is sufficiently high, it may not matter what that particular protein source may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's extremely difficult to gain fat from overconsumption of very high protein intakes (pending on total calories combined via other macros...see homon's last sentence in post). Here is a good Q&A by Lyle McDonald.

**broken link removed**

So in regards to Protein , at what point do we consume to much to the point that it can cause fat gain??

We know that the body will convert protein into glucose via Gluconeogenesis when there are no carbs , but at what point (if any) will the body convert excess protein to glucose and that will get stored as fat like excessive carbs do.

I've heard that if we eat to much protein the body will convert what it needs and we waste out the rest , then I've heard conflicted stories that the excess protein is stored like excess carbs or fat would be.

i think too many variables at play to make rules for this and too individual.

we can make generalizations but they would be very general and more geared towards womens health magazine then to professional muscle.

i was always a very hi protein guy 400-500+g ed
the past year i have made significant effort to stay below 200g and eat veggies with every meal.

i look better for sure though i am smaller.
i also stay in decent shape with very little gym or anything.

one could prob take a fatty and diet them down to less fatty on protein solo and big amounts so that they stayed full feeling.

is that the "best" way?
:rolleyes:

idk if best exists anymore. lol

Exactly the feedback I was expecting , thank you gents so much

My personal experience is that I can eat a balanced macro diet 33%x3
275g Protein , 275g Carbs , 122g Fat , totaling 3300 calories and I will add fat
but if I rearrange the macros to
500g Protein and 150g fat , totaling 3350 calories I’ll will lose fat.

I know I’m very carb sensitive so I basically stay away grom them unless I’m trying to grow them I’ll add in some around training.

This subject it’s what annoys me about the whole “just add or reduce calories” but they mention nothing about nutritional value of the calories cut or added. Obviously 500 calories from chicken breast is going to have a totally different impact than 500 calories from cake

You've done this? Both being completely clean? Just changing from carbs to other macros really made you lose weight? This is very interesting to me.

You've done this? Both being completely clean? Just changing from carbs to other macros really made you lose weight? This is very interesting to me.

Clean as in no AAS?? No
But I was on EXACTLY the same drugs and following EXACTLY the same training regiment.
The coach I was using was baffled that I wasn't losing weight so we went to the no carb extreme and then fat started coming off

Last edited:
If your goal is to get ripped yeah. If you're not a competitive bodybuilder, classic physical guy, etc I wouldn't worry about it

example today was a high carb day for me at 290 carbs, I took in 250 grams protein and 60 grams fat. I have yet to go to sleep and hopefully if I get up ill get a shake lol but I purposely took in less protein today because of the higher carbs

yesterday I did 50 carbs with 330 protein and quite a bit of fat lol

This is something that’s alwas burnt my brain out during a diet, if I’m trying to eat 2500 cals do I use some on extra protein or extra carbs, I normally eat 300 protein a day, all year which seems fair as most pros only eat around 350g (I follow over 100 pros on insta)

BUT there genetic gods so many they don’t need more, if I put my protein up to 350 then I’ll have to drop 50g carbs which will effect peformance and I’ll prob lose muscle as my strength will drop massively so this is the dilemma I have every cut

Why not use healthy fats for the additional calories? I'm sure you don't need the extra protein to maintain muscle and fat is good option for energy... probably better than carbs... unless it is pre or post workout.

Why not use healthy fats for the additional calories? I'm sure you don't need the extra protein to maintain muscle and fat is good option for energy... probably better than carbs... unless it is pre or post workout.

Your body prefers to run on carbs. If you eat carbs and fats your body will burn the carbs first. Your brain prefers to run on carbs. Fat isn’t a better option for energy in my opinion unless you are somewhat insulin resistant and your muscles don’t absorb the glucose adequately. People who are predisposed genetically to fat gain do better on lower carb higher fat diets.

This is something that’s alwas burnt my brain out during a diet, if I’m trying to eat 2500 cals do I use some on extra protein or extra carbs, I normally eat 300 protein a day, all year which seems fair as most pros only eat around 350g (I follow over 100 pros on insta)

BUT there genetic gods so many they don’t need more, if I put my protein up to 350 then I’ll have to drop 50g carbs which will effect peformance and I’ll prob lose muscle as my strength will drop massively so this is the dilemma I have every cut

Keep carbs as high as you can is my advice. This will maximize performance and recovery.

Stop following pros and doing what they're doing. You're no where near their capability nor have their genetics (if you did, you'd be a pro by now I imagine).

If you've read the study that was posted, additional protein (on top of their daily normal protein intake) did not cause any fat gain nor muscle gain. So if you go over on your protein, do not trip about it.

Also, dropping carbs by 50 grams is not going to cause you to lose muscle nor strength as drastically as you think, unless you have no idea how to diet.

Stop following pros and doing what they're doing. You're no where near their capability nor have their genetics (if you did, you'd be a pro by now I imagine).

If you've read the study that was posted, additional protein (on top of their daily normal protein intake) did not cause any fat gain nor muscle gain. So if you go over on your protein, do not trip about it.

Also, dropping carbs by 50 grams is not going to cause you to lose muscle nor strength as drastically as you think, unless you have no idea how to diet.

Stop following pros, guess I should just listen to you then? Guy with no pic shouting his mouth off on a forum hahaha

Cals are cals mate, that’s just one study posted. 100s more to prov cals matter above anything, I didn’t read it as I’m not science enclined and I won’t under stand the wording an will only misenterprate (sp) it.

When you eat 150carbs a day an you drop them to 100g that’s a big difference bud and does effect MY strength on big lifts like squats etc

My point was what’s the point eatting more protein any way if 300 is enough

Last edited:
Stop following pros, guess I should just listen to you then? Guy with no pic shouting his mouth off on a forum hahaha

Cals are cals mate, that’s just one study posted. 100s more to prov cals matter above anything, I didn’t read it as I’m not science enclined and I won’t under stand the wording an will only misenterprate (sp) it.

When you eat 150carbs a day an you drop them to 100g that’s a big difference bud and does effect MY strength on big lifts like squats etc

My point was what’s the point eatting more protein any way if 300 is enough

Good luck with your dieting :)

Let the pros lead the way

Your body prefers to run on carbs. If you eat carbs and fats your body will burn the carbs first. Your brain prefers to run on carbs. Fat isn’t a better option for energy in my opinion unless you are somewhat insulin resistant and your muscles don’t absorb the glucose adequately. People who are predisposed genetically to fat gain do better on lower carb higher fat diets.

I understand and agree that the body does seem to prefer carbs and burns them first, but does that really make them a superior source of energy just because they break down so much easier and faster? I also take into consideration that good fats are extremely necessary for production of hormones and many other processes in the body... Kinda hard to say the same for most carb sources.
I'm still not saying you're wrong - I just look at it from a different angle.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws