over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Insulin use and carbs

Magnum

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Why does one take dextrose or whatever your preference is, when taking insulin?

here is a better question................

why do people use insulin when in the long run it is most likely gonna make them look like crap:confused:

edge250 said:
here is a better question................

why do people use insulin when in the long run it is most likely gonna make them look like crap:confused:

Hey smartass, don't you have better things to do? I can think on one thing imparticular. ;)

she hasnt gotten the stitches out yet so i get play with'm yet:(

(.)(.)

edge250 said:
she hasnt gotten the stitches out yet so i get play with'm yet:(

(.)(.)

CONGRATS ON THE NEW RACK! :D

Magnum said:
Why does one take dextrose or whatever your preference is, when taking insulin?

That link I posted didn't go into great detail, but the guy (not a bodybuilder) preferred the use of protein and fats. I've heard of this somewhere else, but can't remember where.

Maybe it is dose dependant? Smaller doses, less or no carbs....

marshall said:
That link I posted didn't go into great detail, but the guy (not a bodybuilder) preferred the use of protein and fats. I've heard of this somewhere else, but can't remember where.

Maybe it is dose dependant? Smaller doses, less or no carbs....

Yep, I have heard that and I see no problem with it except that it would most likely not raise your blood sugar levels up quick enough. There is nothing special about using dextrose or any other carb imo other than it counter acts the effects of the insluin that it had on your blood sugar. People seem to lose sight of this.

So are we talking strictly about the use of short acting insulin or are we including long acting in there as well? Are we talking 2x / week or after every workout?

I know of a couple that will use the long acting a couple times / week and feel that they fill out just as well, and put on less fat as they stick with their normal meal plan for the most part instead of including tons of sugar in there.

dirkmoneyshot said:
So are we talking strictly about the use of short acting insulin or are we including long acting in there as well? Are we talking 2x / week or after every workout?

I know of a couple that will use the long acting a couple times / week and feel that they fill out just as well, and put on less fat as they stick with their normal meal plan for the most part instead of including tons of sugar in there.

Good point as I have also wondered if you switched to longer acting insluin you would not have to use as many carbs BUT!! you are not allowing your own pancrease to secrete unsulin as you would by using faster acting insulin which I think is a must.

Insulin then Protein as a priorty?

I have tried Humalog R preworkout and postworkout ED or EOD or 2 times a week with muliple loads on those 2 days. Which ever way Ive tried it I kan staylean if I dont eat to may calories ib that 3hr time frame after slin.

Say just drink plenty if powerade for 3 hrs while downing as much lean protein as you can. Fats and supercalorie rich sweets and breads etc and my body can only absord so much. Just sipping powerade the whole time I will have 240g carbs at a max( over 3 hrs ) with up2 20iu, eating up2 200g protien.

Or is that alot more carbs than most peole ingest with there slin??

This seems to work for me?? I only get fat when I pig out for days on endm slin or no slin.

I think that you only need to take in just enough carbs to cover your blood sugar levels. After that protein should be your major concern. The rule of thumb is 10 gr. per unit. Some use less. As far as the traditional second meal goes I think that you should keep the protein the concern with either carbs or fat secondary.

Magnum said:
Good point as I have also wondered if you switched to longer acting insluin you would not have to use as many carbs BUT!! you are not allowing your own pancrease to secrete unsulin as you would by using faster acting insulin which I think is a must.

So now you want to be healthy about this huh :)

If were following the protocol of Humulin 3x / day (2x / week) I would think that the high insulin levels would be more detrimental then just a low dose of Long acting---

I don't really think there is any real safe way to use it, but also feel you can get as much supercompensation just by cutting your carbs in half 2 days followed by 2 days of High. Just keep your fats and protein a little higher on those 1/2 carb days.

dirkmoneyshot said:
So now you want to be healthy about this huh :)

If were following the protocol of Humulin 3x / day (2x / week) I would think that the high insulin levels would be more detrimental then just a low dose of Long acting---

I don't really think there is any real safe way to use it, but also feel you can get as much supercompensation just by cutting your carbs in half 2 days followed by 2 days of High. Just keep your fats and protein a little higher on those 1/2 carb days.

You have to remember that when you use a couple of doses of say Humalog a day you are still letting your pancrease work on the other 3-4 meals that you are eating. Even though maybe using small doses with each meal or one long dose acting might seem like a better choice it's not for the reasons that I have already stated.

I also believe that if you are going to use any type of high sugar type recovery drink that it is best to use insulin with it so as to take the work load off your own pancrease.

Last edited:
Magnum said:
You have to remember that when you use a couple of doses of say Humalog a day you are still letting your pancrease work on the other 3-4 meals that you are eating. Even though maybe using small doses with each meal or one long dose acting might seem like a better choice it's not for the reasons that I have already stated.

I also believe that if you are going to use any type of high sugar type recovery drink that it is best to use insulin with it so as to take the work load off your own pancrease.

Nate had some great real world experience from a diabetic using what he would normally use, but to also apply it to benefit resistance training.

He would be a great addition to this thread. Not sure if he still lurks around.

There is something to what you are saying Magnum and the guy was touching on it in the link I posted. He wasn't a bodybuilder, but was applying it for longevity and also benefit from the nutrient uptake for appearance.

I know I'm against mega-dosing, or even younger guys getting involved with gh/slin/...always will be.

But I believe for the older gentelman who is still physically active and/or weight trains, there is some research to be done and some things to be learned that can possibly be applied for benefit (like along the lines of low dose HRT/GH therapy). Non-diabetic conservative use of insulin may be part of an effective anti-aging regimen.

slin

i used it when i was on gh,i took 4 iu's(humalin r) right after training which is EOD.worked great for me and it's really the only thing that makes since to me(my opinion).i can't comment on other regimens.

leap

Has anyone ever heard of anyone use a zero carb, high protein and high fat diet when on slin. I can remember reading about it somewere but could not find the link.

Big Bapper said:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone use a zero carb, high protein and high fat diet when on slin. I can remember reading about it somewere but could not find the link.

Yeah, the article was called "Big Fat Bastards" and it was written by A.L. Rea.
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6877&highlight=big+fat+bastards

Oliver Starr also wrote an article a few years ago mentioning that Duchaine had the same idea.
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11680&highlight=oliver+starr

Last edited:
i made a thread on this...

Big Bapper said:

i went high protien, low carb (less than 50-100 grams a day) and low fat.

its a process called gluconeogenisis.

dont think a high fat diet would be overly wise using insulin.

BFU

Bump for discussion

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member