advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lets talk about weight training fasted (Not IF)

earch

Registered
I was wondering what some people here think of training fasted in the morning then resuming a normal eating schedule. Not IF, but instead train very early in the AM and resume normal eating schedule up till bed. We have probably all done cardio this way before.

For me I just have much more time to do everything I want in the gym if I go first thing, its a schedule thing.

I really dont care about strength at this point anymore, just appearance. I have been doing this for a few months off and on and strength remains about the same.

I was wondering if there was any benefit (such as increased fat mobilzation... I am not on GH) to training fasted, or negatives (maybe muscle break down). How many of you guys do something similar?

The reason I ask is because with a true blast coming up and actual defined goals I will have time for a small meal before training (about 6:30am) or I could just keep going fasted.

I was wondering what some people here think of training fasted in the morning then resuming a normal eating schedule. Not IF, but instead train very early in the AM and resume normal eating schedule up till bed. We have probably all done cardio this way before.

For me I just have much more time to do everything I want in the gym if I go first thing, its a schedule thing.

I really dont care about strength at this point anymore, just appearance. I have been doing this for a few months off and on and strength remains about the same.

I was wondering if there was any benefit (such as increased fat mobilzation... I am not on GH) to training fasted, or negatives (maybe muscle break down). How many of you guys do something similar?

The reason I ask is because with a true blast coming up and actual defined goals I will have time for a small meal before training (about 6:30am) or I could just keep going fasted.

skip the pre workout meal

yes u will burn more fat that way....and no u wont burn muscle, unless u havent eaten in like 2 days

ive been doin this for 1 yr this month (except i fast till 1pm and wo at about 10am, having not eaten since 5pm the day before)

i weighed 153 last august...this morning i weighed 175 and probably 3% lower bf%(kept diet within 200kcals for the most part and stopped cardio in november of last year)

my bench went from 225x5 to 285x5

I'm currently working out at 4:30 in the morning so I'll usually drink some essential amino acids (Humapro) upon waking up and maybe the occasional pre-workout drink or pill but that's it. I've experimented quite a bit as far as various simple carbs beforehand, getting up an hour earlier to down a protein shake and some oats, etc. but just the Humapro before leaving for the gym seems to work best for me. Something else that I think makes a difference with early morning workouts is a high carb meal or two before bed the previous night. I usually have beans and rice the evening before lifting the following morning but just stick with protein/fat at night before days when I'll only be doing cardio (I do cardio totally fasted as well, nothing at all beforehand).

yes u will burn more fat that way....and no u wont burn muscle, unless u havent eaten in like 2 days

ive been doin this for 1 yr this month (except i fast till 1pm and wo at about 10am, having not eaten since 5pm the day before)

i weighed 153 last august...this morning i weighed 175 and probably 3% lower bf%(kept diet within 200kcals for the most part and stopped cardio in november of last year)

Okay now that is a hefty claim, 3% ? You're going to need to post some pics up lol.

The one thing I don't like about working fasted is that during a workout near the tail end my I feel as if my blood sugar crashes and I suddenly lose "gas" , I understand you can take amino's beforehand but I think of it like this.... Your filling a gas tank and instead of filling it all the way you fill it like a quarter, and when your doing higher volume work that gas tank goes empty very very fast.

I do some very high volume JM style training session with only whey consumed during. I have no issues with blood sugar or energy during training. Though I have had it crash after training when I have carbs. They just get sucked up too fast sme times. I personally hate eating before workouts. It makes me feel off. Strength goes down and so does intensity.

Okay now that is a hefty claim, 3% ? You're going to need to post some pics up lol.

The one thing I don't like about working fasted is that during a workout near the tail end my I feel as if my blood sugar crashes and I suddenly lose "gas" , I understand you can take amino's beforehand but I think of it like this.... Your filling a gas tank and instead of filling it all the way you fill it like a quarter, and when your doing higher volume work that gas tank goes empty very very fast.

I think he means his body fat dropped by 3% not that he is at 3% bodyfat.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Personally, I cannot train with any intensity on an empty stomach as my stomach will be growling and I will be starving to death. I don't know how you guys can function on an empty stomach...my appetite is ridiculous.

Not for me, I need at least 1 meal in me (I prefer to train after 2-3 meals) and a couple liters of water.

I was doing that for about 2 months while off gear and had fantastic results! 6 days/week using chest/back, delts/arm, and legs/calves total of 15-20 sets reps 15-20 stayed ultra lean while eating not so great. strength did diminish after a while and joints started to ache. I was happy with the results.

Im with Chode..

Personally, I cannot train with any intensity on an empty stomach as my stomach will be growling and I will be starving to death. I don't know how you guys can function on an empty stomach...my appetite is ridiculous.

Not for me, I need at least 1 meal in me (I prefer to train after 2-3 meals) and a couple liters of water.

I cant do it NO WAY, i go hypo way to quickly and feel AWFUL..and I dont do slin and never will because of that.
I have read that working out on an empty stomach releases much more GH...

Don't worry my friend... Just follow your heart...

I will need to down some stims/pre workout before, and have been. Toss some aminos into a shaker with a pre-workout drink

I was wondering about if yohimbine would be effective to aid in fat loss since it tends to work best on an empty stomach.

yea but that quarter tank might keep u from breaking down muscle...thats the way i look at it

Ib find recovery pretty Shit with fasted training but strength surprisingly good. If your setiiud I about getting bigger I wouldn't Even think about it. If you want a good lean beech body or possibly even a bit more then a very feasible sprocket. Not for me though. Training carbless I do like when cutting lean gaining but when bulking I like pre workout slin and the carbs that come with it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I cant do it NO WAY, i go hypo way to quickly and feel AWFUL..and I dont do slin and never will because of that.
I have read that working out on an empty stomach releases much more GH...

Ib find recovery pretty Shit with fasted training but strength surprisingly good. If your setiiud I about getting bigger I wouldn't Even think about it. If you want a good lean beech body or possibly even a bit more then a very feasible sprocket. Not for me though. Training carbless I do like when cutting lean gaining but when bulking I like pre workout slin and the carbs that come with it

I'm with you all on fasted training.

I've tried it and I get hunger pains 20 minutes into my workout and start to get dizzy. I even tried carb loading the night before and taking a MRP preworkout but still the same hunger pains.

I need a meal 1 hour prior to training.

I have been working out first thing in the morning for a couple of years now .the only food I consume pre workout is 25 grams of whey isolate.i am just as strong in the morning as I was when I used to train in the afternoon

You can't be training very intensely if you are able to go without a meal for that long after a workout. If I'm not downing a protein carb shake within 30 mins or so I'm dizzy and feeling nauseous.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not in the size game anymore.

I love fasted training. I feel stronger, blood sugar is stable, my mobility and energy are higher when i don't eat. There is a grace period of time. If I'm training latter morning/afternoon then it gets to where my energy levels will drop too soon but, training anywhere from wake up(3:30am) to around 9-10, I feel great. I fast a lot, though. I used to be similar to Chode, in that I couldn't function very well without meals going in, as my appetite was pretty crazy.

I'm currently working out at 4:30 in the morning so I'll usually drink some essential amino acids (Humapro) upon waking up and maybe the occasional pre-workout drink or pill but that's it. I've experimented quite a bit as far as various simple carbs beforehand, getting up an hour earlier to down a protein shake and some oats, etc. but just the Humapro before leaving for the gym seems to work best for me. Something else that I think makes a difference with early morning workouts is a high carb meal or two before bed the previous night. I usually have beans and rice the evening before lifting the following morning but just stick with protein/fat at night before days when I'll only be doing cardio (I do cardio totally fasted as well, nothing at all beforehand).

I do a very similar approach, I also train at 04:30 and humapro beforehand works well for me, I also find I get great nutrient uptake PWO and my insulin sensitivity is great.

Lately I have been having carbs with my last meal at 10 pm the night before, usually steak, sweet potato and greens, if I am not training the next day I swap the sweet potato for nut butter.

Making good gains will this approach and I am 46 yo and been training 30 years.

The early morning training is due to the demands off job and I also have young kids so its the only time I have that isn't spoken for.

:)

If you are taking a bunch of BCAA before fasted AM weight training or cardio, you are SPIKING YOUR INSULIN and diminishing the entire point. 10g of BCAA mix will spike insulin like straight glucose. That is a fact. This hinders a lot of the lipolysis and beneficial metabolic effects of fasted training.

Save the BCAA for post workout if you must take them. The whole idea that you go "catabolic" instantly and lose muscle training fasted is bunk broscience. Don't spike insulin before fasted training if your goal is max lipolysis.

Personally, I eat donuts and hate training in the AM, but I read a lot, K.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311