advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lets talk about weight training fasted (Not IF)

if your maint cals are 3k and you train fasted....then eat 4k cals rest of the day....tell me whats gonna happen?

Yes if you eat immediately post workout, and truly get 4k cals in throughout the day then sure you will still grow.. I just don't understand why anyone would WANT to do that, it makes no sense to weight train in a fasted state. Less energy, less endurance, less recovery,etc. It is simply more efficient to get your weight training in after 1-2 nutrient dense meals..

Yes if you eat immediately post workout, and truly get 4k cals in throughout the day then sure you will still grow.. I just don't understand why anyone would WANT to do that, it makes no sense to weight train in a fasted state. Less energy, less endurance, less recovery,etc. It is simply more efficient to get your weight training in after 1-2 nutrient dense meals..

you can wait 2-3 hrs post wo...it dont matter

its not for everyone...but i like it alot

i have more energy and strength training fasted...and i did it for years the other way

sure it was weird for the first week or 2...but ill never go back

all that said...im no bodybulider and it isnt my goal...but im kinda jacked at 175lb...Lol

Impressive. You don't find it hinders recovery? I guess your getting good calories post workout and compensating that way?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty much, I do seem to be able to "soak up" higher cals PWO.

Truth is I have been doing this for a number of years now and have almost forgotten what it feels like to train in the afternoon/evening with days eating behind me.

I took some getting use to when I first started, I will admit.

Pretty much, I do seem to be able to "soak up" higher cals PWO.

Truth is I have been doing this for a number of years now and have almost forgotten what it feels like to train in the afternoon/evening with days eating behind me.

I took some getting use to when I first started, I will admit.

I only have one small meal of cream of rice whey and olive oil mixed together pre workout when using slin. About 55/50/10 pcf when using slin and an intra drink of 100 carbs with Pepto pro. If cutting or lean gaining I train carbless with just a chicken brest, half a tin of tuna and some nuts, no carbs. I hate training with a belly full of food but the above is quite manageable. I've trained fasted in the past and liked it, good energy and strength but it did seem to hinder my gains and recovery just weren't the same. Good to hear there are some big guys it works for though. I won't be going back to it but it shows there are many roads to the same destination

I found more energy and endurance but definitely less recovery. I do belive it hindered my gains a little.

Maybe for you there is less energy less endurance ect. But for other myself included its the exact opposite.

If you are taking a bunch of BCAA before fasted AM weight training or cardio, you are SPIKING YOUR INSULIN and diminishing the entire point. 10g of BCAA mix will spike insulin like straight glucose. That is a fact. This hinders a lot of the lipolysis and beneficial metabolic effects of fasted training.

Save the BCAA for post workout if you must take them. The whole idea that you go "catabolic" instantly and lose muscle training fasted is bunk broscience. Don't spike insulin before fasted training if your goal is max lipolysis.

Personally, I eat donuts and hate training in the AM, but I read a lot, K.

With BCAAs? Yes. But it's not the same with Humapro:
**broken link removed**

Partly because of the insulinogenic agents used and partly due to the high utilization rate so the aminos are not getting stripped down into uric acid and ammonia byproducts and being used for gluconeogenesis.

I was wondering what some people here think of training fasted in the morning then resuming a normal eating schedule. Not IF, but instead train very early in the AM and resume normal eating schedule up till bed. We have probably all done cardio this way before.

For me I just have much more time to do everything I want in the gym if I go first thing, its a schedule thing.

I really dont care about strength at this point anymore, just appearance. I have been doing this for a few months off and on and strength remains about the same.

I was wondering if there was any benefit (such as increased fat mobilzation... I am not on GH) to training fasted, or negatives (maybe muscle break down). How many of you guys do something similar?

The reason I ask is because with a true blast coming up and actual defined goals I will have time for a small meal before training (about 6:30am) or I could just keep going fasted.

I'm about to go on a "4AM to 7AM" Gym schedule non-stop for 6 months.
Feed/replacing of nutrients beginning at 8AM with 5 not 6 meals a day because I consume more then 400-500gm. of protein a day; hard on the kidneys and I drink 1 gallon of water a day. My diet has always been 60/30/20 for over 30 years. I fast 3 1/2 days every week of every year.

how are you going to dictate other peoples energy and endurance levels??? i know i have better energy and endurance training on empty stomach. i can train for almost two hours without running out of gas.

I just started training in a fasted state a couple of months ago. Last meal about 8PM and then training about 10am the next morning. Like everyone else I thought I had to "fuel" my body for my workout, but I have never looked better than now.

I even tried using BCAAs as well but like another poster on here said it is counterproductive. I sort of stumbled across this truth on my own as trial and error.

As far as I understand BCAA's cause a transient rise in insulin and will not inhibit the fat burning process.

Weight training fasted gave me the worst nausea and crappiest workout of my life. Anyone with a fast metabolism and very low body fat would be weak as a child. Maybe someone with higher body fat could do it due to all the stored energy they carry in trems of body fat. I have a friend who has a very slow metabolism and rarely eats, yet he can train fasted on insulin and never have a blood glucose drop.

Weight training fasted gave me the worst nausea and crappiest workout of my life. Anyone with a fast metabolism and very low body fat would be weak as a child. Maybe someone with higher body fat could do it due to all the stored energy they carry in trems of body fat. I have a friend who has a very slow metabolism and rarely eats, yet he can train fasted on insulin and never have a blood glucose drop.

This is Good point actually John. I toyed with training fasted some time back and workouts were great. Was about 12% bodyfat I guess. Did one a few months back at end of diet and shitiest workout ever and legs were sore for days. I never get sore these days after a year plus of hit training. There was just nothing in the tank at all and was almost sleeping between sets. There were other factors too though like being deep into a cut etc.

Well I just started training fasted in the morning...not totally fasted through. I do wake up and take BCAAs/EAAs and a pre-workout mix then I hit the gym.

While training I drink Matt Porter's Muscle Intrusion for TN with added EAAs and BCAAs.

I am definitely not a mass monster, but I am very lean and have a decent amount of muscle for my frame (for a bantamweight - I am not trying to move up right now).

So contrary to what you guys are saying about being weak and having poor workout, I am actually having BETTER workouts in the AM and am really rocking my sessions.

I train HIT style, not DC, but I do incorporate some principles as DC has always worked great for me and I also incorporate some of Mountaindog's intensity techniques as part of my HIT routine. I have been beating my logbook since I started 3 weeks ago am I plan on continuing to use this split along with AM training...

When will people understand that if you take a bunch of BCAA/EAA you will SPIKE your insulin equal or greater to ingesting Glucose. BCAA are highly insulinogenic. Would you have maple syrup 15min before your fasted morning cardio (when the whole point is burning fat)? No. Spiking insulin minimizes most of the lipolysis that we aim for with fasted training or cardio. Save the BCAA for Post workout if you must take it. If you're bulking, by all means, slam it pre exercise even if fasted. Just know what you're ingesting per your goals. Fasted training with spiked insulin just before is sort of contradictory when max lipolysis is the target IMO. And that is why most do it because fasted training isn't ideal to me.

The whole "you'll go catabolic without it brah" mythos is based on gym lore and broscience, not real science. BROZOS

Last edited:
I know so many people that take bcaa before fasted cardio its silly. Might as well just do cardio after breakfast. Your probably burn more calories due to more energy. Only thing that goes in my body pre fasted cardio is gh, Green tea and water. Mabey an eca of I feel shit

When will people understand that if you take a bunch of BCAA/EAA you will SPIKE your insulin equal or greater to ingesting Glucose. BCAA are highly insulinogenic. Would you have maple syrup 15min before your fasted morning cardio (when the whole point is burning fat)? No. Spiking insulin minimizes most of the lipolysis that we aim for with fasted training or cardio. Save the BCAA for Post workout if you must take it. If you're bulking, by all means, slam it pre exercise even if fasted. Just know what you're ingesting per your goals. Fasted training with spiked insulin just before is sort of contradictory when max lipolysis is the target IMO. And that is why most do it because fasted training isn't ideal to me.

The whole "you'll go catabolic without it brah" mythos is based on gym lore and broscience, not real science. BROZOS

I know so many people that take bcaa before fasted cardio its silly. Might as well just do cardio after breakfast. Your probably burn more calories due to more energy. Only thing that goes in my body pre fasted cardio is gh, Green tea and water. Mabey an eca of I feel shit

If you are referring to me, I am talking about TRAINING, not cardio. I take BCAAs and EAAs to stop the catabolic activity from not eating overnight... The whole point of taking them is to put my body in an anabolic state and I am NOT dieting, so this DOES fit my goals. I could use a shake, but hell, I like my EAAs and BCAAs...and they seem to be working pretty damn well. And should one not focus their peri-workout nutrition on recovery and growth even if dieting? Use training to breakdown and nutrition to rebuild and recover, and if dieting focus the rest of your nutrition on fat loss. If you are training hard the EPOC effect will be great enough to create caloric expenditure for a prolonged period so use the per-workout window to recover and even grow while dieting and the rest of the day focused on fat loss...

Cardio, if doing HIIT, it doesn't matter because the fat loss is due to EPOC. You can do it fasted, with BCAAs, or with food...

Last edited:
I believe it depends on your BF. At the beginning of a diet or if bulking, it doesn't make much difference.

Once you get below 10% or so, it seems to hinder fat loss and recovery. Just, not much happens. I started eating a little before training snd fat loss has started again.

If you are referring to me, I am talking about TRAINING, not cardio. I take BCAAs and EAAs to stop the catabolic activity from not eating overnight... The whole point of taking them is to put my body in an anabolic state and I am NOT dieting, so this DOES fit my goals. I could use a shake, but hell, I like my EAAs and BCAAs...and they seem to be working pretty damn well.

Cardio, if doing HIIT, it doesn't matter because the fat loss is due to EPOC. You can do it fasted, with BCAAs, or with food...

I wasn't personally referring to you no as your doing what suits your goals. I know a lot of people that take them pre Liss cardio which seems pointless to me. I don't class it as fasted training with bcaa myself but that's a technicality. The biggest benefit of fasted training imo is your not wasting energy digesting food during workout and your still getting that benefit. As you say not dieting so bcaa probably a wise move. I used to do almost fasted training and just have a tin of tuna. Cheap easy way to get some aminos in and very little energy to digest. We all find what suits us.

I wasn't personally referring to you no as your doing what suits your goals. I know a lot of people that take them pre Liss cardio which seems pointless to me. I don't class it as fasted training with bcaa myself but that's a technicality. The biggest benefit of fasted training imo is your not wasting energy digesting food during workout and your still getting that benefit. As you say not dieting so bcaa probably a wise move. I used to do almost fasted training and just have a tin of tuna. Cheap easy way to get some aminos in and very little energy to digest. We all find what suits us.

OK, cool. Appreciate that. Yes, I completely agree, pre LISS renders it pointless (or close to it IMO)... BCAAs do not require passing through the digestive tract which si why I like them before training. I have had previous stomach stomach issues and this is the most effective way for me to train hard and heavy without running into digestive difficulties from consuming food.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131