advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Medical helicopter crashes, killing three crew members.

Medic08

Kilo Klub Member
I'm sure most of you know that I'm a Flight Paramedic and stuff like this hits way too close to home. Unfortunately, this is the eighth medical helicopter to crash in The United States this year. This specific crash killed the pilot, a nurse, and a paramedic only 150 yards away from their base. The cause of the crash is still unknown, but weather (heavy fog) is thought to be the cause. I didn't know this crew personally, but we are all family in public safety. God speed and God bless the crew of Air Evac Life team 109.

Life is too fragile, guys. Hug and kiss your family every chance you get and always make sure to tell them that you love them.

**broken link removed**

Tribute AEL 109 - YouTube

Too sad. Thier families are in my prayers.

That's sad.

Fog must have made it hard to see so the pilot made a severe mistake. Helicopters are VERY hard to crash.

That's sad.

Fog must have made it hard to see so the pilot made a severe mistake. Helicopters are VERY hard to crash.

Tell that to this guy lol: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUtyUTLeW1g]Apache Helicopter Ground Impact - YouTube[/ame]

Terrible news on the rescue crew though. They were a huge help in finding the body of my missing friend lately. I have the utmost respect for them.

Those are just terrible statistics. Sorry to hear...

That's sad.

From what I have been hearing there was a low ceiling of thick fog and just as you said the pilot made a life ending mistake and didn't realize the ground was as close as it really was.

When I went through critical care paramedic school one of the subjects we covered was flight physiology bc the program also prepares you to be a flight paramedic. Statistics show that 80% of medical helicopter crashes that end fatally are pilot/crew/human error. Most of the time this means that the crew chose to fly in weather that they had no business flying in, in the first place. Fog is really the big killer and you don't realize how much it affects your vision until you're 1,500ft AGL and you can't even see 20 feet in front of you.

Other times its the crew not paying close enough attention or blind spots blocking their field of site and they hit power lines, guide wires, cell towers, and even mountains/man made objects.

Big A, you are totally correct when you say it's difficult to crash a helicopter, especially when you're a very experienced pilot, but unfortunately we are human and make innocent, but tragic mistakes. We have a saying when we decide to take a flight or not. "Three to go, and one to say no." This means that all crew members have to agree to take the flight before the mission is accepted. If one crew member is not comfortable with the flight then that's it, the helo stays on the ground, and no questions asked. Unfortunately, we know how important our jobs are and it does save lives so a lot of people feel pressured to take most flights even when weather is iffy. My main goal is to go home to my wife and kids safe and sound. No ones life is more important than my own and my kids life.

Malcolm gladwell in outliers has an awesome chapter on aviation crashes and why they tend to happen in different demographics.

I hate to hear that. I'm a first responder, where I work we land birds all the time. These guys do great work and everyone I have ever dealt with has been very professional and good at what they do. Medic thanks for what you do, its a good sound to hear the chopper coming. Prayers sent.

Geez that awful to hear! Those stats are very telling...That averages out to a little over a crash a month. That can't go on. I do realize that these types emergency helicopters have to get into areas that weren't made for heli access. Trees, power lines, etc. Very tragic and what a gut wrenching tragedy for all of their family and friends!!

sorry to hear. it is a challenging job.

Honestly, there usually aren't this many crashes this close together. This year has been a rough one for sure and I really hope people start thinking more clearly about challenging weather. Way too many people have died this year and all of them could/should have been prevented.

Strange how for some agencies there can be several back to back accidents like this. I considered flight nursing at one point but decided to stay in the ED. Still think about it when pt's are brought in or I transfer one out by air though.... Very much respect for you and those that choose that as a profession...

I didnt realize thats what you did as you profession...hats off to you...i fly fixed wing as a hobby and have flown helicopters in the left seat for fun...I have the utmost respect for what you do and will have you and your family in my prayers as well as those who have perished. God bless.

I didnt realize thats what you did as you profession...hats off to you...i fly fixed wing as a hobby and have flown helicopters in the left seat for fun...I have the utmost respect for what you do and will have you and your family in my prayers as well as those who have perished. God bless.

Thanks, Infinity, I really appreciate all of the kind words. You mentioned fixed wing which is something I would also really like to do. I have a few buddies that work as flight medics and nurses for Phoenix air which is a fixed wing medical plane that transports patient from state to state and occasionally they do some international flights. They make great money and get to see the world, so I'm pretty jealous. Alot of time when they take someone to Hawaii or France they get to stay over for 1-2 days because its too long of a flight to do an immediate turn around flight back, so they get to hang out in these beautiful places for free AND they're on the clock the entire trip. On two days trips like that they will make around $2k! The only problem is that positions very rarely open up so its difficult to land a job with a fixed wing service.

There's not really any money in rotor wing, but its my pashion and my dream so I would honestly do it for free if I had to. I'm hoping to land a job with a fixed service one of these days bc it's such a sweet gig. Not to mention the patients are very stable 90% of the time so they just give them some Ativan or Valium for the flight and the patient will sleep the whole time.

What kind of helicopter do you usually fly? I fly in a AS-350 (A-star). My favorite aircrafts are the EC130's. I haven't gotten the chance to fly in one yet, but they are sexy ass helicopters.

Strange how for some agencies there can be several back to back accidents like this. I considered flight nursing at one point but decided to stay in the ED. Still think about it when pt's are brought in or I transfer one out by air though.... Very much respect for you and those that choose that as a profession...

Most services will let doctors, nurses, and medics do third rides so if you're still considering it as a career path. You won't be allowed to do patient care as a visitor, but at least you can get an idea about how it would be. I will go ahead and say that it's the most amazing job in the world, but that's just my opinion. I don't anyone that has flown that didn't like it. What's funny is that I am absolutely terrified of heights, but bc I love my job so much, being 1,200-1,500 feet up doesn't bother me at all. At first I was a pretty nervous wreck while flying to the scenes and coming back to the base bc you don't have anything to distract you, but while I was with patients I wasn't scared at all bc I am so focused on patient care.

You should look into doing that ride along. I guarantee that you will love it!

I'm sure most of you know that I'm a Flight Paramedic and stuff like this hits way too close to home. Unfortunately, this is the eighth medical helicopter to crash in The United States this year. This specific crash killed the pilot, a nurse, and a paramedic only 150 yards away from their base. The cause of the crash is still unknown, but weather (heavy fog) is thought to be the cause. I didn't know this crew personally, but we are all family in public safety. God speed and God bless the crew of Air Evac Life team 109.

Life is too fragile, guys. Hug and kiss your family every chance you get and always make sure to tell them that you love them.

**broken link removed**

Tribute AEL 109 - YouTube

That's tough stuff to see. Prayers to their families.

Thanks, Infinity, I really appreciate all of the kind words. You mentioned fixed wing which is something I would also really like to do. I have a few buddies that work as flight medics and nurses for Phoenix air which is a fixed wing medical plane that transports patient from state to state and occasionally they do some international flights. They make great money and get to see the world, so I'm pretty jealous. Alot of time when they take someone to Hawaii or France they get to stay over for 1-2 days because its too long of a flight to do an immediate turn around flight back, so they get to hang out in these beautiful places for free AND they're on the clock the entire trip. On two days trips like that they will make around $2k! The only problem is that positions very rarely open up so its difficult to land a job with a fixed wing service.

There's not really any money in rotor wing, but its my pashion and my dream so I would honestly do it for free if I had to. I'm hoping to land a job with a fixed service one of these days bc it's such a sweet gig. Not to mention the patients are very stable 90% of the time so they just give them some Ativan or Valium for the flight and the patient will sleep the whole time.

What kind of helicopter do you usually fly? I fly in a AS-350 (A-star). My favorite aircrafts are the EC130's. I haven't gotten the chance to fly in one yet, but they are sexy ass helicopters.

I fly a cherokee warrior and ive had the opportunity (being watched very carefully lol) to fly a Bell Ranger...flying a plane is like riding a bicycle and flying a helicopter is like riding a unicycle...i prefer the fixed wing but would love be able to get some more time in a chopper. Thats a great gig you have...I hope you get the fixed wing job...sounds like a pretty sweet deal!!! Have a great day Medic!!!

My friend worked at Bayfront Medical Center in St Petes as a trauma surgeon. Several years ago (I just googled it - 13 years ago - time flies) one of their helicopters went down and obviously he knew the deceased intimately. He has seen a lot of death, he said this one was the worst.

I read a quote by a high ranking military officer saying that unless you must fly in a helicopter, you shouldn't. These folks risk their lives to save others.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
My friend worked at Bayfront Medical Center in St Petes as a trauma surgeon. Several years ago (I just googled it - 13 years ago - time flies) one of their helicopters went down and obviously he knew the deceased intimately. He has seen a lot of death, he said this one was the worst.

I read a quote by a high ranking military officer saying that unless you must fly in a helicopter, you shouldn't. These folks risk their lives to save others.

**broken link removed**

We all know the risks, but if you let risk get in the way of your dreams then you will live and die with a lot of regret. I always say that we sacrifice so that others may live.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws