over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Off topic, helping newer members in the gym

Idra

Registered
I tend to get a lot of questions from people on facebook and in the gym about training, and I'm sure it's the same for most guys here.
The part I struggle with the most when going over the basics is that muscular hypertrophy is about much more than just increasing weight, and that it's far more effective to focus on proper form and volume and then increase weight.

What I'm asking is if anyone has some good beginner material that I can link people to that expresses this in terms that someone new to the gym can understand.

I like to keep to myself in the gym but I also like to make it a friendly environment and help people out that seek it. I'm guessing most guys here are in that same position far more often than I am.

I tend to get a lot of questions from people on facebook and in the gym about training, and I'm sure it's the same for most guys here.
The part I struggle with the most when going over the basics is that muscular hypertrophy is about much more than just increasing weight, and that it's far more effective to focus on proper form and volume and then increase weight.

What I'm asking is if anyone has some good beginner material that I can link people to that expresses this in terms that someone new to the gym can understand.

I like to keep to myself in the gym but I also like to make it a friendly environment and help people out that seek it. I'm guessing most guys here are in that same position far more often than I am.

I get asked questions often myself (usually along the lines of a guy around my age; how did you grow a full chest?) My answer is takes alot of time for noticeable results. Usually reiterate what i have read in Chris Aceto's Championship bodybuilding and nutrition book, its also very close to what i do. Then tell them to google it as you can find a free pdf online of it. Such great info in that book i followed up and ordered a hard copy.

I work in a supplement store all day long, really you have to find some good every day analogies to dumb it down for folks. You get scientific on them they get confused quick.
The average new person has been indoctrinated by horseshit like the food pyramid, or eating salads to get lean.
Furthermore I dont let them talk to me while Im lifting- that is my time, I let them know, when Im done we can talk.
This is something else to me, that gym goers need to learn, do not interrupt people who are focused...some of us are serious about this.

I get asked questions often myself (usually along the lines of a guy around my age; how did you grow a full chest?) My answer is takes alot of time for noticeable results. Usually reiterate what i have read in Chris Aceto's Championship bodybuilding and nutrition book, its also very close to what i do. Then tell them to google it as you can find a free pdf online of it. Such great info in that book i followed up and ordered a hard copy.

I heard thats a great book was going to order it. I would love to find the pdf and save myself the $20

My approach to it is that i never want to shut anyone down, because we were all beginners at one point so i am always willing to shoot the shit.

Ajdos makes a great point though, you cant let it kill your own workout. My headphones are in at the gym so most people dont bother me, but i still get questions.

I always let them know right off the bat that they need to be willing to put the time in, at least 4-6 days a week and the diet needs to be in check. That scares a lot of people off, they think there is an easy answer and there just isnt.

Obviously people who are developed and know how to train can work out 3 days a week and get the job done (i dont i train 6 days a week) but i never tell a beginner that because they get the wrong idea.

Like Ajdos, i try not to get scientific. And like Idra i tell them to focus on form and not weight. Real basic stuff and if i see them still in the gym banging away a month or 2 later ill offer more assistance.

i play dumb and tell them i read it in a magazine or online...........i am not much of a talker

I work in a supplement store all day long, really you have to find some good every day analogies to dumb it down for folks. You get scientific on them they get confused quick.
The average new person has been indoctrinated by horseshit like the food pyramid, or eating salads to get lean.
Furthermore I dont let them talk to me while Im lifting- that is my time, I let them know, when Im done we can talk.
This is something else to me, that gym goers need to learn, do not interrupt people who are focused...some of us are serious about this.

Honestly I can't understand why people go to the gym and spend SO much freaking time talking!! I dont get it. I go to train and usually I am punishing myself to a point that I want to get it over.. I can think of plenty of places to hang out and shoot the shot but the gym isn't one of them.. Now - away from the weights in the common area its cool - but please dont flipping stop me while I am obviously headed to the floor and talk about some shit that could easily wait... I hear guys talking about their trucks - hunting - all kinds of shit.. I am usually hurting - winded - nauseous - basically not feeling real "social" and I am sure it looks like I am some arrogant dick or just a jackass..

I see 10-20 on their phones and talking and no lifting, then they ask how come I'm not growing , I have to walk off and shake my head, when I was new I would just hit all my muscles and tried on the machines until the soreness wore off and then started breaking body parts down each day , have a great new year my friends

Thanks bro!

Its great man. He has pages of spreadsheets making it easy to track exercises and reps performed. If your into monitoring progress things like that incredibly beneficial. I like having tangible evidence of my progress.

Most newer guys think they know already. Take more drugs and I will be Pro. Young guys are not the same as when I was at that age. I don't really bother unless they are sincere and when they do listen to sound advice, they will always say, can't I eat some other way then that? I just do my own thing anymore, be nice and let the trainers in the gym help them.

i love helping people that want to learn, if they come at me like they already know everything or want a shortcut then i'm less likely to help them

if they ask and act in a manner where they are truly interested, then i'll give them full effort to help, if they are totally new to the gym i suggest one thing "go to the gym and work hard, you'll see results" they might not be as fast as you may want them but your body will change

make it easy for them, the main thing i've seen over the years is to try and get them "addicted" to going to the gym, once they really enjoy going to the gym then they'll start doing their own research and you can help guide them in the right directions

now the diet seems a bit tougher to conquer as more people will go with a run of the mill diet that they think is clean but imo getting them started in the lifestyle is the most important

I hear what everyone is saying, its a common theme we all deal with. I hate when i start giving advice and the person is like wait i dont want to get "too big". I always say to them do i look "too big" to you? And they usually say no you look good. And then i tell them i have been trying to get "too big" for 20 years, and if im not you probably dont have to worry about it.

Thats when you know someone knows nothing, when they think they can get too big lol

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131