over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT - Wake-up Calls

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Many of us have had "wake-up calls" in our lives - situations that caused us to "wake up" from our normal patterns of living and thinking, and realize something new (like perhaps we should take more time to enjoy our lives, rather than constantly pursuing the next goal on our list, or we should spend more time with our children, or parents, etc. etc. etc.).

Oftentimes these wake up calls are in the form of a tragedy, such as the loss of a loved one or an injury or sickness.

What kinds of wake-up calls have you guys and gals had, and how did they change your life?

My mum was knocked over and died 3 weeks before my 21st birthday (she was 42). Made me realise at a young age that today could be your last so I set out to fill my life with as much experience as I could.

I spent 6 years in the UK forces and served in 1st Gulf War, played rugby and boxed and did Karate all to a decent level, backpacked around the world for a year, surfed in Hawaii, snowboarded in New Zealand, dived the Great Barrier Reef, became a hippy in India (briefly), busked in Amsterdam, been married and divorced, have 2 beautiful daughters age 8 and 12 who are a joy, I have a wonderful gorgeous girlfriend and a lovely home, been lead singer and lead guitarist in a band, I like to visit far away lands, I paint and draw and I've just done my first Bodybuilding comp 2 months ago. I'm now 40 and still live as if it could all end tomorrow.

Theres loads more I want to do and places I want to go and people I want to meet.

I know my wake up call coupled with 21 years of good values from my Mum (and stiil from my Dad) made me who and what I am today.

Hope thats not too heavy for ya bro :)

Last edited:
Right now to be honest i feel like i have a great balance in my life. I get to spend a lot of time with my kid. My parents live around the corner and are our best friends. I still love bodybuilding and recently starting getting more into diets/contest prep which i love to do.

I would say my two wake up calls in life....at least what stand out at the moment are:
1) Having my kid....talk about putting your priorities in order
2) The loss of Big Bapper.

1. Heart Failure, made me appreciate health and avoid risky behaviors.
2. Lost ungodly sum of money over a decade agol. Went from wealthy to in debt. If I told you the amount you would think I'm joking. Changed my outlook totally on what it means to be happy.

Thanks for sharing, guys. I enjoy hearing about stuff like this.

back in college i got wasted a lot... one day i was just so wasted, i went to the bathroom and puked my guts out... got up, looked in the mirror and saw something hideous, disgusting, revolting...
somehow after that i changed many things in my life... if i didn't have that epiphany i'd probably be unemployed, eating out of my parents pockets and just be a burdon on society.

Wake-up Call: Seeing my parents struggle to put all 8 of us through school, put food on the table, and provide a home of good value and now they struggle...now looking at them aging and still caring about each and everyone one their 8 kids with all their heart equally - It makes me appreciate life more, working hard, and balancing everything out!

Wake-up Call: Marrying my lovely wife! It makes me realize life is about sharing moments, memories, and time with friends, family, and love ones...growing together with your special person! I actually have become a better bodybuilding since marrying my wife because the funny thing balance has caused me to become not only a better bodybuilder, but person as well!!!

Wake-up Call: All you can eat pancake breakfast...it hurts so good afterwards, so watch yourself:D ;)

1) The death of my son… I learned the hard way that life is not fair and bad things do happen to innocent people who do not deserve it

2) The nasty decay and ending of my first marriage… I learned that people do change in life's journey, sometimes into someone you don't recognize, including myself

3) The bilateral complete rupture of my quad tendons… and laying there in the hospital bed realizing how stupid I was letting my life revolve around nothing but my training and pushing my body to get to that point of injury

4) Meeting my beautiful wife when I had reached that point of being totally OK with being single again and realizing that's its possible for life to bring you great gifts when you least expect it

Here's one I just remembered, happened in 2004 (I wrote this back then, Im just pasting it now):

"When I was in Cambodia this past summer I saw a lot of beggars on the streets. Many of these beggars had no obvious physical handicaps- perhaps they had just fallen victim to the immense poverty that is so prevalent in the Cambodia of today, but many did exhibit some sort of physical anomaly, most notably a missing limb or limbs from landmines (a remnant of the Khmer Rouge era during and immediately following the Vietnam war).
Because the country and its government are so poor, there is very little aid for these people, and they often resort to begging. I saw one young man in Siem Reap who had a condition very similar to that of Kyle Maynard (stumps for limbs), but his were twisted in quite a peculiar fashion. He saw me (the rich tourist) walking down the street and he quickly bear-crawled over and shot out his hat for me to drop a small note in, which I did with an awkward smile. He bowed (the best he could, anyways), and crawled off.
This was a young man, close to my age, who was forced to beg on the streets for money to eat and survive because his luck wasn’t as good as mine.

Anyways, my point is to shut the fuck up and stop complaining about whatever (your job, your bank account, your genetics, the weather) and be thankful for what you do have."

Good post Shelby, I like reading things like this rather than what the best drug is or check my next super cycle...

getting drunk out partying, then got a ride home but wanted to go out and get some poon tang so I got on my motorcycle. Ended up doing wheelies and then the asphalt luge at 80mph. I got up and walked away but it really made me think about life. 4 years later I`m married for a yr with a baby girl due any day... any no more drinking and riding, not even one.

1) The death of my son… I learned the hard way that life is not fair and bad things do happen to innocent people who do not deserve it

:(
very sorry to hear that... i'm sure that must have been hard, and i'm sure he's in a better place right now

Damn, makes me want to erase mine. Beautiful and poignant.

2) The nasty decay and ending of my first marriage… I learned that people do change in life's journey, sometimes into someone you don't recognize, including myself

3) The bilateral complete rupture of my quad tendons… and laying there in the hospital bed realizing how stupid I was letting my life revolve around nothing but my training and pushing my body to get to that point of injury

4) Meeting my beautiful wife when I had reached that point of being totally OK with being single again and realizing that's its possible for life to bring you great gifts when you least expect it

ive had 2 main ones, the first was the death of my aunt and uncle who got hit by a car at daytona bike week in 06, there children (my cuzins) live with me now, it opened up a lot for me changed me, second one was having my daughter, she showed me the true priorities in life.

I (we’ve) had our share of Wake-ups. ]
In 97 my first son was born 13 weeks premature, 1 pound 13 ounces. He spent 61 days in NICU before coming home on a heart/breathing monitor and feeding tube. At that time I had never really taken responsible for anything in my life. It was then that I realized that my purpose in life is far greater then myself.
In 2000 my daughter died after living for about 5 hours. Mrs. KH had spent 6 months on bed rest during this pregnancy and then our dreams were dashed away in the blink of an eye.
In 2003, after a Cervical cerclage, 6 more months on bed-rest and brutal 10 hour delivery, Mrs. KH delivered a healthy 8 pound baby boy; I realized my wife is my hero.
Just about a month ago a 21 year old man sacrificed his life saving my 6 year old from drowning; don’t take anything for granted.

Great thread Shelby

That's a great thread subject, Shelby. Thanks for starting it.

As PK said, poignant.

I have had two wake up calls:
My first one was my senior year of high school (2005). After normal afternoon lifting at the school gym, I had a voice mail on my cell phone from my mother. I called her back and she informed me that my grandfather, Papa, had a heartattack but everything was okay (wasnt true, everything was NOT okay). This was my father figure growing up as I did not have a father who was there for me. This was the man who taught me how to cast a fishing pole and bait my own hook. Well, I was headed to my friends house before I went home to go to the hositpal and his house phone rang. It was my mother and she wanted to talk to my friends mother. I thought was was weird and knew somethign wasnt right! His mom got off the phone, looked at me and said: Jessie, baby I am sorry!. She didnt need to say anything else. I knew my Papa had past away. I was so upset that she had to drive home as I couldnt drive myself to meet up with my younger brother before going to the hositpal. Before we could pull out of his driveway, my younger brother called me and said " John got into a accident and they said it didnt lok good". John is my older brother, who was 20 at the time. I didnt think too much as I knew John was always a carfeul driver and was a strong person. Well, when we got to the hospital, I met with my family in grief. As we were walking outside to see the friends and people who came to show respect, we were confront by 2 state patrol officers. They told us that John had got into a accident and didnt make it, he was pronounced DEAD ON ARRIVAL. Now my papa and my oldest brother both died within 10 mintues of each other.

My next story happened in September 2008:
In January of 2008, i weighed 165 and was a competitive PL. Then something started happening to me and I started loosing weight. Everyone thought I had a eating disorder but I knew it was somethign else. By September, I suffered a heart attack. I was sent to the hosptial where I laid there for 3 weeks. In these 3 weeks I lost 30 lbs and left with a pacemaker and weighed 103! I didnt think I was going to make it and there were days I thought I was going to die. But when you have the right people behind you, friends and family, it makes it easier.

Now I am 22 years old and weigh 165, and I am the stronger, and healthiest I EVER have been. I will also be graduating with my B.A. Degree in December. I am very forunate to have family and friends that have supported me throughout my whole life!

AND FOR YOU SHELBY!
Man, where do I start. You are the reason I am where I am today. If I would have never of met you, I KNOW FOR A FACT!!! that I would nto be here today! We all know that you can help people reach there goals and change their looks, BUT YOU CAN ALSO SAVE LIVES! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, I MEAN IT! I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RE PAY YOU!

Shelby, This thread and the one about taking one step at the time made me admire you

Related:
**broken link removed**

AND FOR YOU SHELBY!
Man, where do I start. You are the reason I am where I am today. If I would have never of met you, I KNOW FOR A FACT!!! that I would nto be here today! We all know that you can help people reach there goals and change their looks, BUT YOU CAN ALSO SAVE LIVES! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, I MEAN IT! I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RE PAY YOU!

Glad I could help, my friend :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner