over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Poundages of the Pros

TM

Newbies
When I was younger I used to read in the muscle mags that guys like Frank Zane and Vince Taylor used "light" weights to build their physiques. I always wondered what this meant. Does anybody have any info on what weights these pros used and for what excercises? Everybody has heard about the incredible weights Ronnie Coleman uses but I would like hear stories about pros who built their physiques up with reletively lighter poundages. Please post what you can
Thanks

TM said:
When I was younger I used to read in the muscle mags that guys like Frank Zane and Vince Taylor used "light" weights to build their physiques. I always wondered what this meant. Does anybody have any info on what weights these pros used and for what excercises? Everybody has heard about the incredible weights Ronnie Coleman uses but I would like hear stories about pros who built their physiques up with reletively lighter poundages. Please post what you can
Thanks
I have read that Zane, and a few others of that era used what may now be considered light. Zane used to do cross bench pullovers with a 110-120lb dumbell. Squats were usually four plates aside or around 350-400lb range. The freaks of that era were Franco Columbo and Lou Ferrigno and of course Arnie. Back in the day these were some of the strongest men on the planet. Don't forget about the other greats like Oliva, Draper and Scott. The idea that they say they used light weights IMO would be questionable. All of the above mentioned men were very strong and loved the heavy iron. But in comparison to the likes of modern era BBers I quess these greats did use light weight compred to Ronnie, Cormier, Yates and the like. Still impressive in anyones book.

oldfella said:
I have read that Zane, and a few others of that era used what may now be considered light. Zane used to do cross bench pullovers with a 110-120lb dumbell. Squats were usually four plates aside or around 350-400lb range. The freaks of that era were Franco Columbo and Lou Ferrigno and of course Arnie. Back in the day these were some of the strongest men on the planet. Don't forget about the other greats like Oliva, Draper and Scott. The idea that they say they used light weights IMO would be questionable. All of the above mentioned men were very strong and loved the heavy iron. But in comparison to the likes of modern era BBers I quess these greats did use light weight compred to Ronnie, Cormier, Yates and the like. Still impressive in anyones book.

Well bros thats a reasonable weights for Zane structure and weight...

Vince Taylor and Serge Nubret trained with light weights/fast pace/high volume. Dave Draper also uses a rapid style alternating exercise that does not emphasize training to failure.

alot of those pics in the muscle mags use fake weights.

Fa Seeshus said:
Vince Taylor and Serge Nubret trained with light weights/fast pace/high volume. Dave Draper also uses a rapid style alternating exercise that does not emphasize training to failure.

alot of those pics in the muscle mags use fake weights.

A bit hard to believe , until I am not going to see with my own eyes I won't believe. In my oppinion the muscle will have no other option than growing in order to adapt to a higher weight.

Big Danny said:
A bit hard to believe , until I am not going to see with my own eyes I won't believe. In my oppinion the muscle will have no other option than growing in order to adapt to a higher weight.

higher weights is only one way to make muscles grow

get yourself some pro workout videos.

dorian's "blood and guts" as well as coleman's "the unbelievable" are MUST GETS

Heavy weights builds big muscles.

I THINK THE PROBLEM IS THAT HEAVY WEIGHT IS RELATIVE.. IF IT IS HEAVY FOR THEM IT IS HEAVY PERIOD.. i saw taylor at the pinbrook pines golds do some chest.. and he used.. for him.. heavy weight.. but, he did not go over 100 pound dumbells when i saw him.. but, it was a chellenge to him.. so i think that weight is relative.. we have also seen the guy at the gym who uses a good amount of weight with great form and has little muscle to show for it.. ys, nubret did train that way.. he is on ironage.us talking about it all the time.. but, the issue is intensity... he uses used 225 pounds on the bench.. did it for 8 sets.. with only a minute between sets and for 12 to 15 reps.. try it.. and you will see that it gets "heavy" real quick.. he also did high amount of sets.. so did taylor.. and he trained quick also.. so even light weights got heavy..
some guys are just not considered strong.. but, if the weight is heavy for them then it is heavy.. as long as the intensity is there.. it will work..

Well said Lats!! It all depends on the individual... I too have seen some really small guys pushing some huge amounts of weight... And on the other hand seen some pretty big guys using weights that I thought were laughable... So I think the key, like Lats said, is "INTENSITY!" Just throwing up big weights will not make you huge... Weight training is such a small part of the equation... One simply needs to find what works for them and their schedule and go with it...

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads