over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

protein and bloating

swervedriver

FOUNDING Member
Registered
Here is my problem.. Every time I start upping my protein above 250g per day I start getting really bloated and my mid section gets bigger.. However, when I drop the protein back down, and replace it with carbs the bloating goes away and I start leaning out more.. I know it sounds weird.. I actually stay leaner with less protein and more complex carbs.. Any suggestions??

is it all from meat or how much powder?

I usually drink 2-3 shakes a day. 3 if its a training day due to me having a post workout shake. Otherwise, my protein comes from tuna, grilled chicken, or eggs.. I have tried changing the protein I use for my shakes, but it hasn't seemed to help. I eat 6 meals a day.. Its just strange that when I drop the protein back down, and increase my carbs my midsection leans out..

??

better protein=less fillers
add fiber foods

ummm??? so what's the problem?
you know your body doesn't like it when you eat more than 250 grams of protein... just increase your carbs if you want to increase you caloric intake. hell, you get leaner on less protein and more carbs... you're lucky! :D

Here is my problem.. Every time I start upping my protein above 250g per day I start getting really bloated and my mid section gets bigger.. However, when I drop the protein back down, and replace it with carbs the bloating goes away and I start leaning out more.. I know it sounds weird.. I actually stay leaner with less protein and more complex carbs.. Any suggestions??

Its not weird, the same happen to me.

One thing i know is that Carbs(Depending on source) = Fiber

Protein = No fiber

May have to do with something...

Thanks for the replies... No im not complaining, but I was just wondering if there was a reason for this, or if there were others on here who experience the same thing... Trust me I have no problem taking in less protein, but conventional wisdom says that you are to up your protein and drop carbs to lose bodyfat.. Not the case in my book..

whey protein and increased sodium intake seem to do it do me, why whey bloats me more than regular meat protein i don't know

Drop the shakes and replace with chicken or lean beef.
I do pre mid post work out shakes only which is usually just one big shake that has pepto pro leuicine swedish oat starch glutamine and other jazz glycerol creatine flavorings sweetners (truvia) Buffered Vita C powder with additional ester C powder...

all the powders and protein are hard on the digestive system. same thing happened to me last year, every time i had a shake i would bloat up and have gas like crazy. lay off the powders for a while and stick to your whole foods. you'll most likely get better results anyway. also, you don't need more than 250g of protein a day if it comes from quality sources. people that say you need 400-600gr a day are the same ones that believe they need 1-2g's of test a week. simply not true.

1. Do you know your blood type (if I was guessing I would say A)

Im blood type A+.

Yes thats what I thought by the information you provided. Try this for 5 to 7 days and see how it goes.

Exceed the 250 grams of protein but do it without red meat, protein powders, dairy, eggs, or chicken.

Protein sources for the test should be Soy, LBA if you have it, Cod, Salmon, natty peanut butter (account for the fat), tofu.

I am not saying give up the chicken, eggs, etc forever but test first to see what contributes to the bloat (eat less of these) and eat more of the ones that are more favorable.

Yes thats what I thought by the information you provided. Try this for 5 to 7 days and see how it goes.

Exceed the 250 grams of protein but do it without red meat, protein powders, dairy, eggs, or chicken.

Protein sources for the test should be Soy, LBA if you have it, Cod, Salmon, natty peanut butter (account for the fat), tofu.

I am not saying give up the chicken, eggs, etc forever but test first to see what contributes to the bloat (eat less of these) and eat more of the ones that are more favorable.

I have the same problem, aeliop is giving you great advice. Unfortunatley for me im allergic to soy,fish and peanut butter. Sometimes I suck it up and eat these things and my stomach will go down and I wont feel bloated at all..but I break out with rashes.

Protein is broken down into shorter peptides and amino acids in the stomach, both by stomach acid, which is very acidic, and by pepsin, the primary proteolytic (protein busting) enzyme secreted by the stomach. If you have less than optimal stomach acid secretion or if you're taking acid blockers, you'll have impaired pepsin production (due to reduced conversion from pepsinogen), and also reduced secretion of pancreatic digestive enzymes at the upper end of the small intestine (less acid means stomach chyme will have a higher pH, impairing secretin release and thus pancreatic enzyme release at the duodenum). Basically, poor or impaired digestion of proteins can allow intact proteins to reach the intestines, causing indigestion, bloating, and gas.

For people who have this problem, I'd first try switching protein powers. Some powders even include a small amount of digestive enzymes. Optimum nutrition, for example, includes a small amount of Aminogen, a digestive complex. If switching protein powders doesn't work, though, I'd try taking some supplemental pepsin and stomach acid (in the form of betaine HCl). This is a good product. I've found that taking just one or two capsules along with protein shakes greatly reduces digestion problems like bloating and gas.

Hope that helps,
Conc

Aeliop: My blood type is A+ as well. I give what you said a try.. However, I am allergic to peanuts so can't do the peanut butter thing. I can substitute almond butter though.. Like I said, I am just looking for suggestions as to what can help me get over this.. I feel like not being able to get my protein intake over 250g or so has hindered my gains tremendously.. I will let you know what happens.. Thanks so much for the advice..
Conciliator: I am currently using Optimum Nutrition Nitro Core 24, and it is the best i've used so far but still bloats me...

Thanks to everyone for their input.. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has this problem...

SOY? I read everywhere to Get away as far as i can from that since its really estrogenic???

What about fruits?

Do you believe in those Blood Type Diet? A,B,AB, O ?

I read about that but im not sure, Eating Soy products is a good idea since it has been shown to Increase Estrogen...

SOY? I read everywhere to Get away as far as i can from that since its really estrogenic???

What about fruits?

Do you believe in those Blood Type Diet? A,B,AB, O ?

I read about that but im not sure, Eating Soy products is a good idea since it has been shown to Increase Estrogen...

Its nothing to worry about. ;) Soy is a fantastic protein source....include it with all your other proteins.

Aeliop: My blood type is A+ as well. I give what you said a try.. However, I am allergic to peanuts so can't do the peanut butter thing. I can substitute almond butter though.. Like I said, I am just looking for suggestions as to what can help me get over this.. I feel like not being able to get my protein intake over 250g or so has hindered my gains tremendously.. I will let you know what happens.. Thanks so much for the advice..
Conciliator: I am currently using Optimum Nutrition Nitro Core 24, and it is the best i've used so far but still bloats me...

Thanks to everyone for their input.. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has this problem...

Yes I overlooked the people with peanut butter alergies. Almond butter is okay for you but pumpkin seeds would be better. As far as Optimum Nutrition or any Protein powder I would use sparringly if at all. Just doesn't agree with your blood type. You would be better off with Soy.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws