YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why do competitors waists’ get larger with age?

bigtasty25

Registered
Have always wondered this..
Why do competitive bodybuilders waist get larger over time while
Maintaining being shredded on stage and carrying the same muscle mass? It’s obviously visceral body fat but how does it come about and why?

Maintaining being shredded on stage and carrying the same muscle mass? It’s obviously visceral body fat but how does it come about and why?

it's not happening, it's your imagination, food takes up space, you always have 12-24 hours of food moving through you, if you are bigger, you have to eat more.

Age, long term drug use, and years of excessive eating all contribute to this

It's kind of rare to see people talk about the negative aspects of stressing your digestive system for years, and decades doing this, and how that affects you later down the road.

Not uncommon to see Colitis, IBS, food allergies...a myriad of digestive disorders develop in bodybuilders later down the road.

Young guys can always get away with almost anything; including the force feeding aspect. Less so than the older ones.

It's kind of rare to see people talk about the negative aspects of stressing your digestive system for years, and decades doing this, and how that affects you later down the road.

Not uncommon to see Colitis, IBS, food allergies...a myriad of digestive disorders develop in bodybuilders later down the road.

Young guys can always get away with almost anything; including the force feeding aspect. Less so than the older ones.
Quoted for truth. I have the stomach of a little bitch now, I don't even feel like eating anymore. I used to stomach anything and be hungry any time, any place lol!

Quoted for truth. I have the stomach of a little bitch now, I don't even feel like eating anymore. I used to stomach anything and be hungry any time, any place lol!

Yeah, Im approaching 50 years old and in addition to not having the hunger I also have trouble eating spicy foods. Some spicy foods will go right through me if you know what I mean and cause a lot of discomfort in my gut. I used to be able to eat anything and not have any trouble. Slowly we turn into our parents.

Yeah man

Psychologically too you're willing to just do anything in the beginning...you maybe a gain a bit of sanity as time goes on :)

And the bigger you get, the more you have to push the calories (a fine line between assimilating and consuming)

Bodybuilding is basically the myth of Sisyphus; a man pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to have it fall down when he reaches the top, and start the process all over again :eek:

This is the million dollar question. Honestly, I think the majority of the waists that you see that have gotten thick or just look terrible are due to RA tears. Umbilical Hernias, Diastisus Recti, or complete tears like you see with the late Dallas McCarver would certainly cause intestine to come through the RA itself and likely create a separating force in the center of the abs. I personally have a pretty nasty Umbilical Hernia that isn't quite in need of surgery yet. It has honestly made me pretty scared to go hard on abs which I feel like exacerbates this issue.

Seems to happen to white guys more then black guys too

Looking at the 50+ Year old bodybuilders in the local hardcore gym then looking at there photos on the wall from years ago when they completed it’s massively obvious there core has grown, not sure if it’s just thicker muscles around the abs and obliques or grown organs or maybe visarel fat that won’t go

Most these guys didn’t even use hgh or slin

These guys don’t compete but the still diet down each year for vacations and post pics on Facebook and stuff

This is the million dollar question. Honestly, I think the majority of the waists that you see that have gotten thick or just look terrible are due to RA tears. Umbilical Hernias, Diastisus Recti, or complete tears like you see with the late Dallas McCarver would certainly cause intestine to come through the RA itself and likely create a separating force in the center of the abs. I personally have a pretty nasty Umbilical Hernia that isn't quite in need of surgery yet. It has honestly made me pretty scared to go hard on abs which I feel like exacerbates this issue.

That does seem so common today. Back in the 70s and 80s you never saw any pros with hernias but now it seems to be all over. Diastasis Recti I see a lot in the photos of pros and some umbilical hernias too. I developed Diastisus recti some later on myself.
https://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/abdominal-separation-diastasis-recti#1

Im not sure how much of the distension we see today is because of that. I think it may be more like the distension guys have is causing these conditions like this. That WebMD article mentions how pregnant women get diastasis quite commonly.

Normal or sedentary people, will increase the waist and abdomen as they get older, because bodybuilders were going to be different? Also the loss of muscle mass will happen, especially in the legs, even though you continue to lift.

I guess it's nature and time doing their job. :eek:

pics of diastasis recti

Dallas had a case of it.

Attachments

• thJ7OB5IYV.jpg
    thJ7OB5IYV.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 284
Your priorities do change as you get older, and you can't eat for size and force-feed yourself the way that you did when you were younger. If you try, it does end up going much more to your waistline than it did when you were younger.

I went from a 155 lb high school senior to a 255 lb college senior, without ever touching steroids, just by force-feeding myself massive amounts of protein and calories (Mauro DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet was the big thing back then in the late 80s/early 90's.) Now I can't imagine and don't want to eat huge amounts of food like that. My life back then used to mostly consist of eating 6-7 meals per day, training, going to class, and sleeping, with plenty of time spent in the bathroom made necessary because of the huge quantity of food. Now that I am older, I have other priorities for my time, and other things that I would rather be doing than eating and shitting all day.

I always had a thick waist that helped me to deadlift and squat heavy, but the last few years from 45 to 50 years old it definitely does protrude more in the front, even when I am very lean...a moderate case of Palumboism. I am lean enough that I have prominent veins squiggling down my obliques and abs, but still the visceral fat makes my gut protrude in the front.

I have a small umbilical hernia from moving heavy furniture, so I am sure that doesn't help matters either. In the end, like most things in life it's the result of a combination of many factors: age-related decline in endogenous hormones and insulin resistance, HGH use, lifting heavy weights, and putting stress on the whole system by eating way too much for way too long.

But then we do many things when we are younger that we end up paying the price for as we get older.

That does seem so common today. Back in the 70s and 80s you never saw any pros with hernias but now it seems to be all over. Diastasis Recti I see a lot in the photos of pros and some umbilical hernias too. I developed Diastisus recti some later on myself.
https://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/abdominal-separation-diastasis-recti#1

Im not sure how much of the distension we see today is because of that. I think it may be more like the distension guys have is causing these conditions like this. That WebMD article mentions how pregnant women get diastasis quite commonly.

It can quickly turn into a "Chicken or the Egg" discussion. I would say that back in the day, Competitors focused a lot more on their mid sections. You can see this illustrated in Arnold's (History of Bodybuilding) and in several other programs and writings from Frank Zane, Reg Park, and Steve Reeves. From my vantage point, ab training is barely an afterthought in the world of competition today. That being said, look at male physique competitors like Potvin, Sadik, and Buendia they have all grown quite a bit in size and their waists are still awesome, perhaps that's because they have to be in order to do well. All I know for sure is that as soon as a tear in the RA happens, abs become a huge pain to do and the mid section goes to shit. Perhaps making the mid section a priority would strengthen it and keep tears at bay, it's hard to say for sure.

I find that most things that you do not want to get bigger, do as you get older and the reciprocal of that is true as well.....

I find that most things that you do not want to get bigger, do as you get older and the reciprocal of that is true as well.....

Why doesn’t your wiener get bigger with age damn it??? 50 years of gravity alone should pull that sucker down to the floor. 😂

Umm lets think about this. Why does anyone's waist get bigger over time? its called aging. Show me someone who doesnt juice or doesnt work out and there waist doesnt get bigger over time? Maybe its 1 in every 1000 people if that. Just look at skinny women when they get older. They are skinny in arms and legs and then see them in bathing suit at beach and have belly. Same with men with skinny arms and legs. Juice or no juice tummys grow period.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity