over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What are your thoughts on Crossfit?

If you ran a legit 4.3 you're faster than most recievers and running backs in the NFL that's impressive. You could have just said high 4's instead of 4.0 big difference.

It was hand timed at a track, very different than an NFL facility, but yes I WAS fast lol very different now although my goals are shifting back that way.

And I never said 4.0 in my post you quoted, I believe I just said 4 seconds, could be a 4.0 or 4.99 lol either way, they're athletic and explosive athletes. You can't deny that.

Alot of athletes have slightly thicker waists amd pronounced obliques bc rotational strength is more needed than V taper to wasp waist for pure aesthetics
For sure. Not a knock on their strength and conditioning more so the aesthetics resulting from CF training.

Do you really think it's that hard to do?

If you're one of these 280lb+ bodybuilders then yea, you'll be dead of a heart attack in 40 yards lol.

Maybe not a 4.0 40yd dash... But there's plenty of guys running in the 4's all day.

I myself have ran a 4.3 at my very best when I used to train differently and explosive etc for MMA.

You cannot compare 4.0 to a 4.3. The fastest at the combine is still 4.24 by chris johnson. A guy this yr supposively ran a 4.10 at his proday.

As far as running a 4.3(pretty hard to do) maube like 5-8 guys in nfl currently that run a legit 4.3. There is a huge difference between 4.3 and even a 4.35.

If you ran a 4.3 hand timed you were probably closer to mid to high 4.4s.

You cannot compare 4.0 to a 4.3. The fastest at the combine is still 4.24 by chris johnson. A guy this yr supposively ran a 4.10 at his proday.

As far as running a 4.3(pretty hard to do) maube like 5-8 guys in nfl currently that run a legit 4.3. There is a huge difference between 4.3 and even a 4.35.

If you ran a 4.3 hand timed you were probably closer to mid to high 4.4s.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4O1W2khvvc"]Top 5 Fastest 40-Yard Dashes in NFL Combine History - YouTube[/ame]

I have never seen it but is this the sort of stuff that goes on at the games?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lr1p7f2P4Y"]Exercises in Futility - Deadlifts from the Washed Up Loser Olympics - YouTube[/ame]

Watch it till the end :eek:

Every now and then I see a CrossFit thread pop up and it gets bashed (no surprise when it's posted on bodybuilding boards). But after watching my wife compete multiple times a year in CrossFit I'll say this…

It comes down to the gym and the coaching there. I will not argue there are a lot of shitty run, poorly coached gyms that utilize terrible form, random programming and inexperienced coaches. HOWEVER, there are also gyms that have extremely educated (i.e. CSCS, college strength coaches, etc) that have very specific programming, tailor it to the athlete and teach proper form for the technical lifts.

I think the problem is that CrossFit is recognized as one large group (cult?! haha) because of the unifying name. There are tons of bro idiot lifters in every commercial gym in America. We make fun of them all the time. But they are not united under the "bodybuilding" title. If they were then we'd bitch about how awful bodybuilding was.

The intent of CrossFit… Functional movements, combining strength and conditioning, group/team training, standard benchmark workouts and scaleable to the Average Joe is very good. And NOONE can deny they are marketing geniuses. Like anything big they get a little diluted and have some lesser than desirables along the way.

Despite the video above I have seen that the higher the level of competition and athlete the better the standards. There is no denying Froning, Khalipa, Ohlson, etc are some monsters. AND the girls are hot haha.

:eek:

Like the title says, what are your thoughts on it?

I had done crossfit years ago for a few months when I was about 20 and it was a fun work out most of the time although pretty intense.. I just REALLY didn't like some of the form or workouts they preach, like the pull ups? Ever seen those guys do that? They're just swinging around in the air.

But besides some of their funky form and workouts, I was watching a couple documentaries on it and some of their athletes were looking damn amazing. Females too. As a matter of fact, everyone that was at "The Games" level looked pretty damn incredible... Not bodybuilding wise but very lean and athletic, some guys pretty muscular too, what I feel is the ideal physique.

There seems to be lots of debate about them, and though even when I was doing it, majority of the classes didn't have great looking or very fit people but like I said the ones who take it seriously all seem to have very lean and athletic physiques, just all around athletic.

Diet wise, I've seen a lot of them eat TONS of food, some as much as the Olympic athletes we talked about in the other thread and stay lean year round, their work load is pretty intense though so that doesn't surprise me.

Besides them preaching a "workout until you die" type training which to me seems like you can get injured pretty easily if you're not careful, I'm interested if anyone trains this way or what you think about it?

If you would like to be fitter, stronger, more athletic, and more mobile, then CrossFit can help. However, the whole point of doing CrossFit is to become a "Jack of all trades," so if you want to specialize in something, then CrossFit programming may not be what you need.

it doesnt work. :rolleyes:

I cannot understand all the hate CrossFit gets. If it gets people in the gym, then I am all for it.

My only legitimate criticism is that I believe the lifts are often performed at the expense of form and therefore can lead to injury.

I am all for something that gets more people to pay attention to health and fitness. That being said the chance of injury in some of these less than stellar boxes is huge.

Just the facts:

1. Crossfit uses some traditional lifts that are generally under used by most novice lifters, this is good.

2. I personally know of 2 people who have bulging discs from crossfit, and I only know a handful of people who do crossfit.

3. These same lifts are also some of the most dangerous if done incorrectly.

4. Crossfit promotes a competitive environment, which discourages the use of proper form and encourages too much weight.

5. Most crossfit programs suffer from a lack of supervision and instruction due to the group classes.

6. Ironically, despite their use of traditional lifts, most crossfitters have a distain for traditional gyms and little to no gym etiquette.

My old ass would have a heart attack doing crossfit. Some of it is very impressive to watch but it looks like an injury waiting to happen to me.

CrossFit isn't going to make you huge, unless you dedicate extra time to improving your strength or size. I will say, though, that athletes like Heather Welsh, Rich Froning, Dan Bailey, Marcus Hendren, and Annie Thorisdottir definitely prove that you can get strong and jacked doing CrossFit.
CrossFit gyms are often more expensive than commercial gym because while commercial gyms sell hundreds of memberships and hope only a third of their members show up, CrossFit boxes sign up fewer people and hope everyone shows up. If you really enjoy CrossFit, go to class most days of the week. Get the most out of your money.:)

I cannot understand all the hate CrossFit gets. If it gets people in the gym, then I am all for it.

My only legitimate criticism is that I believe the lifts are often performed at the expense of form and therefore can lead to injury.

I am all for something that gets more people to pay attention to health and fitness. That being said the chance of injury in some of these less than stellar boxes is huge.

CrossFit isn't going to make you huge, unless you dedicate extra time to improving your strength or size. I will say, though, that athletes like Heather Welsh, Rich Froning, Dan Bailey, Marcus Hendren, and Annie Thorisdottir definitely prove that you can get strong and jacked doing CrossFit.
CrossFit gyms are often more expensive than commercial gym because while commercial gyms sell hundreds of memberships and hope only a third of their members show up, CrossFit boxes sign up fewer people and hope everyone shows up. If you really enjoy CrossFit, go to class most days of the week. Get the most out of your money.:)

If you would like to be fitter, stronger, more athletic, and more mobile, then CrossFit can help. However, the whole point of doing CrossFit is to become a "Jack of all trades," so if you want to specialize in something, then CrossFit programming may not be what you need.

100% agree with all of this. Nice to see this perspective on another sport versus straight hate because their goals and interests don't match with ours.

CrossFit has brought more people, money, advertising and new products to the strength game than probably the preceding 50 years combined. Different strokes for different folks but no need to hate on others. Strength sports are still so underground and non-mainstream and we should embrace each other for the betterment of all the sports. And that goes for the CrossFit/Paleo nazis who hate on "meatheads" and "bros" and commercial gym lifters.

Avg girls that do CrossFit locally here look no better or even worse than when they started it.

Just the facts:

1. Crossfit uses some traditional lifts that are generally under used by most novice lifters, this is good.

2. I personally know of 2 people who have bulging discs from crossfit, and I only know a handful of people who do crossfit.

3. These same lifts are also some of the most dangerous if done incorrectly.

4. Crossfit promotes a competitive environment, which discourages the use of proper form and encourages too much weight.

5. Most crossfit programs suffer from a lack of supervision and instruction due to the group classes.

6. Ironically, despite their use of traditional lifts, most crossfitters have a distain for traditional gyms and little to no gym etiquette.

Right on point Kal. 3,4,5 is EXACTLY what I always point out.. I just think some people get the wrong idea when it comes to going to a regular general gym and going to a "crossfit" gym they are completely different environments.

I recently watched a documentary about Rich Froning called Froning:The Fittest Man in History. He is 5'9" and 195lbs of solid muscle. He says he is drug free, and I believe him. The guy is just a genetic freak. He works out for hours doing a "Do what I feel like doing" routine and wins Crossfit championships. They show him eating pizza and cheeseburgers during one years championship. That being said...he does have an incredibly strong work ethic, and his workouts are very gruelling even though they are not always that focused or planned out.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDiesel
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131