advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are leg extensions actually worse for the knees than squats, lunges and leg presses! 🤔

Are leg extension worse for the knees than squats, lunges and leg press?

• Total voters

headtrainer

Registered
You always hear that leg extensions put more strain on the knee joint than other exercises like squats, leg presses, and lunges. But do they really? 🤔

In the contracted position probably.

But is the strain in that position a bad thing if compared to the stress induced during a set of full squats?

Leg extensions have helped, successfully rehabilitated more knees than they have
hurt.

I once knew a guy who did nothing else for
his quads, like 20 sets or more of leg extensions and they were huge. An exception

I have also seen guy who had such bad,
fast, explosive form that the machine would literally walk across the floor. (I don’t know how his knees are now.)

Your knees not being correctly positioned at the machine’s axis of rotation can cause
problems.

Proper form and controlled movement,
while (not?) essential, will go a long way
towards making this a useful, beneficial,
exercise.

Am sure everybody will have stories of exceptions but they are just that, exceptions.

I've had problems developing tendinitis doing them.

Anything that doesn't allow the glutes and core to stabilize the femur is probably not the best idea to be loaded heavy. From a functional standpoint is what I mean.

How do you absolutely know it was leg extionss?
I suspected it was them, and so I stopped doing them for a few weeks. I didnt change anything else in my routine though, just kinda worked through the pain. After the first week my knee felt a lot better. I think I can remember that it started hurting first while doing a set of extensions. I still value them though and do them to this day. If I go too heavy on them now, it makes my quadriceps tendon sore. Higher reps are best for me on that.

Extensions definitely hurt my knees more than squatting. Even if done light. I don’t go to full extension anymore and don’t bend as far. Partial reps are the only way I can do them without pain. Single leg hurts me less than both as well.

I slipped & fell on my roof this past summer and tweaked my left knee… I cannot do leg extensions due to severe pain. I can still however do barbell squats, machine squats, and hack squats with pain, but not severe. I really like leg extensions so hopefully whatever I did heals up soon!!!!! Tried using heavy knee wraps and still couldn’t lift 50lbs, without severe pain. Always sumthin…

Cage

I slipped & fell on my roof this past summer and tweaked my left knee… I cannot do leg extensions due to severe pain. I can still however do barbell squats, machine squats, and hack squats with pain, but not severe. I really like leg extensions so hopefully whatever I did heals up soon!!!!! Tried using heavy knee wraps and still couldn’t lift 50lbs, without severe pain. Always sumthin…

Cage
I think leg extensions put a lot of sheer stress on the knee. I do however feel that if you do them on a regular basis that it makes your knee less susceptible to injury in other exercises and activities. Seems to strengthen that area.

Extensions definitely hurt my knees more than squatting. Even if done light. I don’t go to full extension anymore and don’t bend as far. Partial reps are the only way I can do them without pain. Single leg hurts me less than both as well.
I have also noticed that partial reps are easier in the knees. So is leaning forward instead of leaning back.

Cage
As we get older it’s like the injuries/pain moves from one body part to the next.

From what I understand leg extension are open chain and your limb can move freely like a dumbbell and articulate in desired path or groove. Squats or lunges with foot on floor are closed chain and force your joint in the set path by foot position and body. Each has benefit but open chain allows the joint to move in its safest arc of motion compared to being forced into a set path. Also the greater the joint's flexion the more the joint compacts. The greater the knee bends the more the patella presses into the femur.

I think each have their merit. I personally would take a sissy squat rig or any sissy squat motion (awesome one was posted to YouTube by Scott Stevenson years ago on a smith machine) over leg extensions. However, once your lower back is good and locked up lol, leg extensions are a great way to eliminate any other weak links and extend sets to brutal levels.

I could definitely see how heavy extensions without a solid warmup could spell disaster, but I would say the same for any heavy extension movement, like a skull crusher.

I'm thinking it is the other heavy leg exercises like hacks or leg presses
(not squats, a natural movement) that are doing the damage and that
you get clarity or it presents itself on leg extensions. I really don't know,
just thinking out loud.

If I could do leg extensions lying down on my back I would. Probably a
good reason they don't make that machine that way but I am at a loss
to know why.

(And when I do seated leg curls I do them with my torso leaning as far
forward as possible. Talk about a stretch and contraction. Amazing.)

I agree will all about higher repetitions being preferable. Interesting how
people will ask you what is your max bench press but they never ask what
your max leg extension is ;)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws