over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is this article about SLDL true?

B~RAD

Registered
My Kinesiology teacher showed us on a powerpoint the 5 WORST strength training exercises. It had the obvious ones like btn military, but what she said about sldl seemed completely ridiculous. She said the SLDL is ment for hamstrings and then went on to say that the hamstrings job is to bend the knee (when i asked about hip extension, she basically ignored me) anyway, I found the real article and it actually gives completely different reasons for sldl is bad. wanted to know what you guys thought.

Also she asked the class out loud what muscles the bench press works after talking about why its a bad exercise. I shouted out chest, anterior deltoids, and triceps. She told me that the chest only assists the lift and that it mainly works your triceps and BICEPS??

5 Worst Strength Training Exercises Every Wrestler Should Avoid & Why

I liked the article you linked. I always wondered why I hated wide grip front pull downs (my friggin shoulders pop and crack) although everyone looked at me crazy if I said that.

Phil, what are your favorite exercises for Lats?

i really dont understand why everyone says the BN millitary is bad
i video'd myself one day as an experiment, looking at the rotation of my shoulders in relation to forearms and bar travel path, it looks(and feels) like BN mil's are safer and easier on my rotators than front mil's. when i do mine, on film, the bar moves in a straight line from top to bottom, when i do fronts, its an arc type movement, i would venture to say having the bar in line with your joints provides more stability right? as opposed to being forward of the rotator with fronts
i also see appreciable mass gains from behind the heads as opposed to fronts
if im wrong in this thinking, please correct me, and not just opinion or hear say either lol
frk

It depends on the person. Post your video. Personally, I dont have the necessary flexibility in order to do them safely

The behind-the-neck press is a common exercise. In fact, everyone who picks up a weight tries it at some point. Some stick with it, and some don't, but generally speaking, those who drop it from their routines do so permanently. There are a number of reasons for that.

The main problem involves shoulder girdle flexibility-two components of the behind-the-neck press require more flexibility than the military, or front, press requires. The first is the starting position, where your shoulders are raised and externally rotated; that is, a position of full lateral rotation of the shoulders while they're abducted, It's the same whether you perform the exercise seated or standing-your upper arms are parallel to the floor as your forearms point straight up.

The second component that requires shoulder girdle flexibility is the ability to pull your shoulders back into a military posture, or scapular retraction, while maintaining the externally rotated position. If you can do those two things, then you have the necessary flexibility to perform behind-the-neck presses. If you don't, you should avoid the exercise. Otherwise, you invite injury and setbacks.

The problem is usually that the muscles that effect internal shoulder rotation, the agonists of the movement, are too tight. They include the pectoralis major, or pec; the teres major, or upper lat; latissimus dorsi, or at; and the subscapularis, which is part of the rotator cuff. While the anterior, or front, delt isn't one of the internal rotators, it, too, can prevent external rotation if it's too tight.

If you can't achieve full external rotation of the shoulders, then the external rotators of the rotator cuff-the infraspinatus and teres minor-must work too hard against the internal rotators in addition to supporting the shoulder joint during the pressing motion. Simply put, the external rotators can't overcome the excessive tightness and mass of the internal rotators. It causes too much strain. When you add the weight of the barbell, the muscles become overburdened and are subjected to a form of mechanical strain that produces injuries. Needless to say, that stress can cause shoulder pain stemming from a strain of the rotator cuff, the biceps tendon, the deltoid, the bursa (a fluid-filled sac that assists in protecting tendons from erosion) or the ligaments of the joint.

All that said, there's another problem that results from performing behind-the-neck presses when you have poor flexibility. Trainees who cannot achieve the necessary range of motion with their shoulders usually compensate by rounding their upper backs and lowering their necks to angle the neck and head forward. That gets the neck out of the way so the bar can travel behind it, but it also makes matters worse because the shoulder must try even harder to make the bar travel upward, and the neck drops to a less stable position. The upper trapezius, which is attached to the neck, works very hard when you do behind-the-neck presses, and the contraction of the trapezius produces significant force on your neck, especially if the neck isn't stable. Note that this neck strain can occur even if you have an adequate range of shoulder motion, but a poor range will add to it.

Well how does your teachers hamstrings look?
I love stiff legs. Been doing them for about25 yrs or so.

My Kinesiology teacher showed us on a powerpoint the 5 WORST strength training exercises. It had the obvious ones like btn military, but what she said about sldl seemed completely ridiculous. She said the SLDL is ment for hamstrings and then went on to say that the hamstrings job is to bend the knee (when i asked about hip extension, she basically ignored me) anyway, I found the real article and it actually gives completely different reasons for sldl is bad. wanted to know what you guys thought.

Also she asked the class out loud what muscles the bench press works after talking about why its a bad exercise. I shouted out chest, anterior deltoids, and triceps. She told me that the chest only assists the lift and that it mainly works your triceps and BICEPS??
5 Worst Strength Training Exercises Every Wrestler Should Avoid & Why

Just because someone has a fancy degree/title etc doesnt mean they know what the hell they are talking about.

If someone is a Doctor, people take their word like it was a god that spoke to them.

I have met so many doctors that dont have a clue, im fuckin scared of em now, i do my own research before i trust ANY doctors word. Even if HE think his helping me, the information he learned in school may not be the best for me.
Western medecine is more corrupt then a third world country.

sort of agree...

Actually the funny thing is I avoid...behind the neck military, avoid behind the neck pulldowns, on Pull-ups I prefer neutral gripping, but really never had much pain with any form of pull-up, the bench pressing I sometimes do full range, but most a lot of the time I keep it in the tension zone or range will I feel it in the chest because it does stress my shoulders a bit on the Full ROM sometimes, but that depends on the how my shoulder is feeling. I still do stiff leg deadlifts, I just make sure I do them slow, controlled, and feel the movement in the muscle, if not I back off on load.

The article has valid points, but everybody's body is different, so be safe and do what works for you.

Psychosocial Analysis...

First- yes, Phil is right, it is something that COULD screw you up.... but that hold's true for almost any other "accepted" exercise- squats, etc. Execution is key.

Second- yes, you are right, hamstrings are heavily involved in hip extension... my Kinesiology professor always said, "If you want to improve someone's vertical leap, work the hip extensors."

Third- here is my amateur psycho-social analysis of this teacher (I can't stand this type)... She is "ultra-Type A": is a major control freak (not organized, but control freak) in her life (everything PERFECT in her home, the way she dresses, etc.). She will only formulate her opinions from other "higher-ups" but d/t her being a major control freak she cannot handle outside opinion/input (such as in your case) especially from someone "equal" or "lower". She HAS to be right. If she is ever wrong, she will be crushed, she will feel like a failure. In fact, fear of failure is probably what drives her the most to be "successful" versus a drive to be successful in and of itself (everyone goes between those two at times, but the majority of herself is in the former). If you were to go on a European vacation with her, you would probably go crazy b/c if anything deviated from "the plan" it would eat her alive. At the end of it all, as much as she may project "confidence" she is actually a very, very insecure person.

SLDL- lock the lower back, bend only at the hips, push the butt out, don't bounce at the bottom and you'll be good to go ;)

B~Rad- I think the confusion might just be as simple as the difference between a SLDL and an RDL. I think most people here (myself included) do what would technically be considering an RDL, using some knee bend, arching the low back hard, and pushing the hips back until you feel a deep stretch in your hamstrings. I think in this article, the author is referring to a literal stiff-leg deadlift, where you keep your legs straight and bend straight over. I agree with the author that this is a shitty way to do the exercise, both in terms of efficacy and safety. If I keep my legs straight and bend over, I don't really feel my hamstrings at all and it's all in my low back, but if I bend my knees, arch my back, and initiate the movement by pushing my hips back, I feel a big stretch in my hamstrings and I don't feel it in my low back as much.

I guess it's like others said that it depends on how you perform the exercise, but with regards to the article, I think they are probably referring to a literal stiff-leg deadlift, which you never really see most lifters do. Most do an RDL, or some sort of hybrid between a SLDL and an RDL.

That guy is an animal! My lower back hurt just from watching that Vid! Impressive.

I have the occasional lower back tweaks, but certainly not from SLDL. If you do yours the same way as the video, you shouldn't have a lower back problem.

First- yes, Phil is right, it is something that COULD screw you up.... but that hold's true for almost any other "accepted" exercise- squats, etc. Execution is key.

Second- yes, you are right, hamstrings are heavily involved in hip extension... my Kinesiology professor always said, "If you want to improve someone's vertical leap, work the hip extensors."

Third- here is my amateur psycho-social analysis of this teacher (I can't stand this type)... She is "ultra-Type A": is a major control freak (not organized, but control freak) in her life (everything PERFECT in her home, the way she dresses, etc.). She will only formulate her opinions from other "higher-ups" but d/t her being a major control freak she cannot handle outside opinion/input (such as in your case) especially from someone "equal" or "lower". She HAS to be right. If she is ever wrong, she will be crushed, she will feel like a failure. In fact, fear of failure is probably what drives her the most to be "successful" versus a drive to be successful in and of itself (everyone goes between those two at times, but the majority of herself is in the former). If you were to go on a European vacation with her, you would probably go crazy b/c if anything deviated from "the plan" it would eat her alive. At the end of it all, as much as she may project "confidence" she is actually a very, very insecure person.

SLDL- lock the lower back, bend only at the hips, push the butt out, don't bounce at the bottom and you'll be good to go ;)

HAHAHAHA thats spot on

whats everyone doing for chest if not barbell bench press. can anyone give any good alternatives to bench besides floor press.

With my shoulder and wrist I don't even bother benching anymore. It's probably my strongest movement which kinda sucks. I can do one arm pushups though, and I do overhead pressing.

4. Pull Ups/Chin Ups (With Palms facing Away From You) - These movements are not only bio mechanically inefficient they murder the rotator cuff, killing mostly the supraspinatus and terres muscles. There are many variations of the pulldown/pullup, but the most biomechanical efficient and thorough method is the one where your palms are facing your face (supinated) and are placed shoulder width apart on the bar. Wider grips endanger the rotator cuff of the shoulder as do the palms facing away (pronated) grip.

How do you do your Chins - palms away or facing your face ( supinated ) ?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131