over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chest lagging body part

You think he does verry little for chest with 3 sets, you'd hate to see that i only do 1 work set.

was hoping you would chime in TKAV.
i forget some of these guys don't know shit... prolly been in the gym for 2 weeks and have the audacity to "lol" when they are the ones looking for help. ugh....
oh well. this is why i am not a trainer. it used to feel like babysitting sometimes...
-JS

Relax, Johnny. He thought you were kidding. Most people associate big muscles with hours of high volume training, slaving away in a weight room. 3 sets does indeed seem laughable to a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder.

Relax, Johnny. He thought you were kidding. Most people associate big muscles with hours of high volume training, slaving away in a weight room. 3 sets does indeed seem laughable to a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder.

i speak in a relaxed manner. gotta keep the blood pressure down lol.
i just find it amazing that guys havent;' heard of Dorian Yates? low volume high intensity and was a BEAST. doggcrap training, again low volume high intensity and a member of THIS SITE. and a newb asks questions and "laughs" at the advice? shows true ignorance so trust me i am not as upset as it might look from my posts. i am more astonished and amazed there are such clueless people out there. i am kinda deer in the headlights over this.
i have also never encountered someone seeking advice and then laugh at the answer given. another example of true ignorance and arrogance to boot.
i am very relaxed as i know he is merely lost. but to laugh at advice is wrong. perhaps i had better parents but that truly is dissrespectful.
this is PROFESSIONALmuscle and i have come to expect people to act professionally ESPECIALLY when seeking advice. nothing i said is or was laughable.
thru with this thread.
i'm still smilin:)
i;m ioff to do declines and dips. 3 sets....;):D -JS

Last edited:
Johnny knows his stuff.... Phill and Johnny have been helping me from day one and so far it has worked. I glad I met Johnny.

For those who think you really NEED more sets to stimulate muscle GROWTH than what Johnny mentioned, please go to the gym right now and do 385lbs on decline for your first workset. Now thats a set...meaning more than one rep...as in like the ballpark of around 7. When youre finished, you have 2 more sets waiting for you. Do you really think that 385lbs is just not enough to stimulate growth? Do you really think you NEED more SETS?

pound the crap out of your chest, whatever exercises you feel really hit the chest. some people may feel it more with dips, some wide grip bench, some dumbbells etc...

whatever you do, POUND it until it is dead, so you can barely bench the bar for 10 reps. you must take each set to absolute failure and do a few forced. the aim is to cause microtrauma to the muscle tissue - then your body's adaptive response is to grow back a little stronger than before.

then rest as long as is needed. be it 3 days if you are 20 and superman or a week if you are an older fellow. you must let it recover completely then pound it all over again.

for example if you scratch your skin, there would be some dead skin cells under your nails if you looked under a microscope. no real damage to your skin has occurred so there is no adaptive response. this is akin to all the morons at the gym going through the motions without any strain - it doesnt cause the muscles damage so there is no adaptation - no growth. now imagine your girlfriend catches you cheating and tries to dig your eyes out. she draws blood all over your skin, she rips it open. this is damage and your body will respond by growing back the tissue a little stronger than before - called a scar. the secret is giving the skin time to heal completely, only at that point is the new skin (scar) stronger than before. of course the muscles dont take as long to heal but giving them enough time is essential

Guys-Gals
how do you suggest I address the issue of a lagging body part?
My chest is the smallest of the muscle groups and I am not sure if training it twice as often as the others will work or if there are other theories out there.

How are you training currently? What is your height, weight, bodyfat %? How long have you been training?

-Alex

i NEVER said per week. where did you see that? i do a 3 day split right now. 3 on 1 off.
i didn't see where he stated his split either.
-JS

You wanna talk to everyone like they are jackasses huh? Well smart-ass, he asked if he should train his chest TWICE as often.. which means to say he's training it ONCE a week and is asking if he should increase to TWICE a week! Thats pretty damn obvious. And YOU never said how many times per week to do your little 3 set routine either, did you?!? He was probaly thinking you ment to do it ONCE a week, which is how often MOST people work their chest... !
I myself am a large and often lean Bodybuilder and have trained with world class PL's and BB's. Never in my life have I EVER been told or seen anyone worth a shit, to do just 3 sets for any bodypart per week! Ever. Period...

And BTW: I don't get a FUCK how large or lean you think you are bub, you have NO right to come on any board talking down to EVERYONE like they are just some nobodys and you are God. FUCK THAT. I'd LOVE to see some joker like you talk that shit to me in person! Someone don't like your answer you give them?? Fine! MOVE ON DUDE! All our "blood pressure" is UP and we're all TENSE from certain things! But you need to show some respect. Talking like you do people sometimes, makes you look like a huge asshole.

Last edited:
Holy shit this thread went south pretty fast. Lets relax everyone and try to stick to the posters question. That being said...Joe use the search option and you will be able to find many theories as how to deal with a lagging body part

Holy shit this thread went south pretty fast. Lets relax everyone and try to stick to the posters question. That being said...Joe use the search option and you will be able to find many theories as how to deal with a lagging body part

I don't know who JS is or anything about him. But from this thread.. he makes himself look like a huge asshole. I'm really sick and tired of these "big guys" that have "been around" thinking they are GOD and everyone else is SHIT! Phil pulls this crap ALL THE TIME. I have massive respect for him and other pro's... but not when they act like that!!! I consider myself a vet and would NEVER shit on any newbie like that, even if he disagrees with an answer I gave him! Oh boo hoo hoo!! SUCK IT UP! I don't walk around like Billy Bad Ass and treat everyone below me like shit!
It's like going to meet Chuck Liddell for and autograph and he treats you like shit and tells you that your a moron! Right then and there I'd have zero respect for him! Ya know?

Last edited:
I don't know who JS is or anything about him. But from this thread.. he makes himself look like a huge asshole. I'm really sick and tired of these "big guys" that have "been around" thinking they are GOD and everyone else is SHIT! Phil pulls this crap ALL THE TIME. I have massive respect for him and other pro's... but not when they act like that!!! I consider myself a vet and would NEVER shit on any newbie like that, even if he disagrees with an answer I gave him! Oh boo hoo hoo!! SUCK IT UP! I don't walk around like Billy Bad Ass and treat everyone below me like shit!
It's like going to meet Chuck Liddell for and autograph and he treats you like shit and tells you that your a moron! Right then and there I'd have zero respect for him! Ya know?

I feel you brother, and I see what your saying.

Ok, If it matters coming from a non-pro card stature guy who is perfectly content with bodybuilding as more of a hobby; and has no particular discintion, here's what I think as far as training for growth:

1) High intensity
2) Low volume
3) work within the structure of your body - i.e., a guy with a large rip cage and flaring chest will be benefiting from movements that are different than a guy with a narrow rip cage.
4) 3 on 1 off, 4 on 1 off. 4x a week; 1 x a week, blah blah blah blah blah..... Hit it hard and recover. When you're recovered hit it again. recovery means something different for everyone.
5) Flat benching sucks. For me at least, I've reached the point where to get down to the 4-6 rep range, I'm risking either a Pec tear or RC problem with every rep. Phuck that. at my age, I need to be practical. I use inclines for the majority of my chest work now (RC issues notwithstanding). I use less weight in a very concentrated and discipline manner.

I'm no expert on any of this but the one truth that I've discovered is this:
Nobody ever benefits from blindly doing exactly what the next guy does.

my chest has really seen great gains since ive gone to just 3-4 sets and doing them gironda style, with my elbows really flared out

you guys are reading my replies wrong.

he asked a question.
he laughed at the answer.
no respect.
i have seeked advice from people and would never laugh at their advice. its arrogant and ignorant. definitely not cool. i don't think he would want to be talked to like that. who would?
people on this board know i am a contributor and a good source of knowledge. i have had even more messages from guys wanting help due to this thread and thats great. i enjoy helping. and so far not one of them has laughed at the advice, nor started a sarcastic thread to make fun of my advice.
many pros train the way i do. i am not the only one that trains this way.

joe graft, i am still happy to help you if you want just pm me bro. we got started off on the wrong foot. i don't think you knew that it IS a good way to train and i didn't know you were a newb. we all gotta start somewhere so hit me up if you wanna go back and forth about what has worked for me and what i have learned and tried etc.
-Johnny :)

its only like that if you asked chuck how he trains then laughed at his response then started a sarcastic thread on a MMA fighting board to to make fun of and question his advice. THEN it would be like that.... -JS

Like has been said, less is oftentimes more. I do two sets, one straight set and a set of 20.

JS - just a couple questions. And before I say more.. I only ask b/c I'm curious and not meaning any disrespect...

1. Did decline/dips (abreviated as D/D from here out) build your chest.. or did you start them after you chest was already large? Did 3 sets build your chest.. or is working now after your chest was already large?

2. If D/D is so great.. why then do all (ok most, not all maybe) of the large chested BBers do flat and incline bench.. I remember Levrone, Ronnie, Jay, Branch, Kai... all doing heavy pyramiding on flat and incline bench.. don't remember seeing any of them doing dips and declines... surely the biggest bber's in the world wouldn't skip something so great..?

I've done dips on "arm" day for tri's.. as heavy as possible.. and i dont remember it ever feeling like i had a good chest workout.

I do certainly agree with this part 100% though..
start with the following:
-choose exercises that are appropriate for YOUR skeletal structure
-choose exercises that allow you to use heaviest weight in safest manner

You have to remember that your reference to Ronnie, Branch, Lavrone, etc.....Is a bad comparrison. They are the elite of the elite in the genetics category. They could do 3 sets of 25 push ups and still have a chest like a chevy air bag.

Also thanks to JS for the decline/dips tips......2months ago. My chest has never been fuller!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mito777
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
yourdailyvitamins
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131