over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

For those of you training under Phil...

Jake LaMotta

Registered
For those of you training under Phil, if you guys don't mind me asking, how many sets of side lateral raises do you do in a workout? 2? 3? 4?

I have decided to ditch shoulder pressing completely and just do side lateral raises. I plan on doing the side lateral raises on the day I do a chest/shoulder/tri workout. I was wondering how many sets of side lateral raises I should do after doing 3 sets of flat bench and 3 sets of incline bench.

For example:

Chest/shoulder/tri day

1. Flat dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
2. Low incline dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
3. Seated dumbbell lateral raises (that's what I'm wondering, how many sets should I do???)
4. Tricep push downs 3x8-10

If you guys don't feel comfortable responding, I totally understand.

Last edited:
qUESTION

For those of you training under Phil, if you guys don't mind me asking, how many sets of side lateral raises do you do in a workout? 2? 3? 4?

I have decided to ditch shoulder pressing completely and just do side lateral raises. I plan on doing the side lateral raises on the day I do a chest/shoulder/tri workout. I was wondering how any sets of side lateral raises I should do after doing 3 sets of flat bench and 3 sets of incline bench.

For example:

Chest/shoulder/tri day

3. Seated dumbbell lateral raises (that's what I'm wondering, how many sets should I do???)

WHY DO U DO 3 SETS OF 10?

WHY DO U DO 3 SETS OF 10?

Because I've had shoulder issues and more than 3 sets would be pushing it (IMO). Same with the reps, less than 8-10 would be too heavy and more than that would be too fatiguing (again, IMO).

Last edited:
That's why I was wondering how many sets of side lateral raises I should do in a workout because I don't want to overdo it but at the same time I want to stimulate the medial delts.

Because I've had shoulder issues and more than 3 sets would be pushing it (IMO). Same with the reps, less than 8-10 would be too heavy and more than that would be too fatiguing (again, IMO).

I don't think he quite understood the question you were asking.

Isn't it fair to say, if you choose the number of sets and the amount of reps that you use for chest, based on what your body can physically handle because of injuries and all. Wouldn't you be the only one to determine how many sets and reps will work best for you doing side laterals? And then after doing them for a small period of time, you could evaluate it and adjust if you find necessary. Only your going to know if your stimulating your medial delts or not. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I like 12-20 reps for side laterals.

I have decided to ditch shoulder pressing completely and just do side lateral raises. I plan on doing the side lateral raises on the day I do a chest/shoulder/tri workout. I was wondering how many sets of side lateral raises I should do after doing 3 sets of flat bench and 3 sets of incline bench.

For example:

Chest/shoulder/tri day

Why do 3 sets of both Flat Bench and Incline Bench in the same workout? Why not alternate instead? You might be better off doing Dumbbell Flys instead of both pressing movements.

It just sounds like you've set a pre determined failure point mentally, and BELIEVE that doing more or less will cause problems. Side laterals are a lighter weight, higher repetition exercise. I.M.O., you are doing too much in a workout. The magic formula isn't = at least x sets of y for gains to equal z. You're having shoulder problems because you're doing way too much chest work, and THEN, throwing way too much shoulder work on top of that, IN THE SAME DAY.

Well

Training shoulders on chest day has nothing to do with shoulder problems......what causes shoulder problems is full range pressing movements.......bench, incline, decline, shoulder presses........all culprits

i have laterals in my dc rotation. Just a thought, i always do laterals in the 25-30 rep range in the DC framework. It allows for a longer phase of progression before i have to rotate them out and you would be surprised what kind of weight you can build up to using. Last time i did these was 95 lbs x 26 RP. i do these 1 arm at a time standing and leaning out from a pole.

Training shoulders on chest day has nothing to do with shoulder problems......what causes shoulder problems is full range pressing movements.......bench, incline, decline, shoulder presses........all culprits

Listen up gentlemen, If you can decode Phil's riddle this is very sound advice.........;):p:D

I'm pretty sure I would have never torn my pec if I hadn't gone all the way down on the presses that I chose to do.

The first injury two+ years prior to surgery, I felt the injury at the bottom.

The second (major ) injury which required reattachment of the tendon... it tore after pressing a few inches off my chest.

On my rehab training days for chest/delts/triceps, it feels better to stop short at the bottom and even at the top. My pecs still get painfully sore.

i have laterals in my dc rotation. Just a thought, i always do laterals in the 25-30 rep range in the DC framework. It allows for a longer phase of progression before i have to rotate them out and you would be surprised what kind of weight you can build up to using. Last time i did these was 95 lbs x 26 RP. i do these 1 arm at a time standing and leaning out from a pole.

95X26? fuuuuuuu

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510