advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many IF'ers do we have vs other diet strategies?

Which nutritional stragegy have you found to be the most effective?

• Yes! I love IF, works awesome for me!

Votes: 107 35.8%
  • I do multiple small meals a day.

Votes: 55 18.4%
  • I eat 2 -3 lerge meals a day 100+gr protien in them

Votes: 30 10.0%
  • Eating only when Im hungry, not any other time.

Votes: 36 12.0%
  • Eating 6+ meals a day with 60-70 gr protein

Votes: 56 18.7%
  • Eating WTF is that??!!

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • You mean I should have to eat? I just take more drugs

Votes: 13 4.3%

• Total voters
For those doing IF with low carb or keto style diets how often do you have a high carb day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those doing IF with low carb or keto style diets how often do you have a high carb day?

NEVER!!!

You are a machine!!! I hope I can get to that point too. I know it's a mental mind fuck for me each week to have one cheat meal. I need to get over that hump.

Cant tell if this is serious or not... You really never carb up?

Dead serious. Why would i need a carb up? Carbs are just fuel, I use fat for fuel and have plenty of it in diet and body stores.

B-Boy doesnt say much anymore. but when he does, yall better listen.

I follow a CKD and been for decades, I combine it with IF and I carb up evert 7-14 days, not because I "need' to but because it is fun and a reward if I go strict and never stray from my macros.

Carbing up is frowned upon in many keto groups because most people cannot handle the carbs and end up binging but that does not mean it is not a great protocol.

The general consensus on the benefits of a carb up (those of us who follow a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet CKD) if one is following a ketogenic diet (it is NOT a cheat day) fall under the following categories.

1)Physiological
2)Psychological
3)Pyschoneuroendocrinological
4)Affective

It resets hunger hormones Leptin and Grehlin levels which are crucial for continuous fat-loss, stabilize to normal T4-T3 conversion, (which slows on keto) which make the thyroid work at the normal. Increase anabolism (muscle glycogen) to increase muscle mass.

Carbohydrates boost leptin levels far more than protein fat. In fact, fat has almost zero effect on leptin levels.

Leptin is highly responsive to glucose metabolism so when doing a refeed, you will benefit much more if the majority of your additional calories are coming from good sources of carbohydrates that will turn into glucose (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, oats and grains). When done this way, leptin levels will show a significant rise over if you had eaten a surplus of calories coming from more protein, fat, or fructose.

You may hear others say that an increase in calories will have the same effect, while that is technically a true statement they're not telling you the whole story. As long as the increasing calories comes from CARBS then yes it will work but it all comes down to the carbs. Another example of a play on words..here's another misleading statement, "you can be in ketosis on a 100% carbohydrate based diet"....this is a true statement..BUT.( If and only) if you're restricting your carbs to say around 20 grams or so, that's 80 calories total and you're not having any protein or fat so yes that statement is "true".

Carbs are also not converted as easily to fat as dietary fat, which means you can overfeed on carbs for short periods of time and gain slightly less body fat. However, this is assuming you keep your fat intake low. If you eat a bunch of carbs and fat while refeeding, the extra fat is generally going to be stored. This is because your body is primarily burning carbohydrate while refeeding and thus doesn’t need to burn the fat you’re consuming, so it will/can store it as body fat instead.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11126336

- Carb overfeeding increased plasma leptin concentrations by 28%, and 24 hour Energy Expenditure by 7%. Basal metabolic rate and the energy expended during physical activity were not affected. FAT overfeeding did NOT significantly change plasma leptin concentrations or energy expenditure. There was NO relationship between changes in leptin concentrations and changes in energy expenditure, suggesting that leptin is not involved in the stimulation of energy metabolism during overfeeding.

CONCLUSIONS:

CARB overfeeding, but NOT fat overfeeding, increases energy expenditure and leptin concentration.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10334310

- High-fat, low-carbohydrate (HF/LC) meals, which induce smaller insulin and glucose responses, would produce lower leptin concentrations than low-fat, high-carbohydrate (LF/HC) meals.

During LF/HC feeding, there were larger increases of leptin 4-6 h after breakfast (38 +/- 7%, P < 0.001) and lunch (78 +/- 14%, P < 0.001) than after HF/LC meals (both P < 0.02).

During LF/HC feeding, leptin increased from a morning baseline of 10.7 +/- 1.6 ng/ml to a nocturnal peak of 21.3 +/- 1.3 ng/ml (change, 10.6 +/- 1.3 ng/ml; percent change, 123 +/- 16%; P < 0.0001). The amplitudes of the nocturnal rise of leptin and the 24-h leptin AUC were 21 +/- 8% (P < 0.005) and 38 +/- 12% (P < 0.0025) larger, respectively, on the LF/HC day. In summary, consumption of HF/LC meals results in lowered 24-h circulating leptin concentrations. This result may be a consequence of decreased adipocyte glucose metabolism. Decreases of 24-h circulating leptin could contribute to the weight gain during consumption of high-fat diets.

Another reason some people do CARB refeeds:

Some of us use it as more of a reward system for adhering to the diet strictly the prior week or two. For instance if I wasn't strict leading up to the carb up and did not drop body fat then I did not earn my carbs and I don't get to have a carb day. It forces that need to be super strict in order to be able to give myself that carb day. So in fact it's a lot harder in my opinion to do a cyclical ketogenic diet then it is a standard ketogenic diet especially trying to control yourself on the carb day which can go crazy and out of control once your insulin levels get out of whack and you want to eat everything in sight.

And the main reason I do a carb up..is..well fruity pebbles! :)

For those who do not want to carb up that is fine but I recommend cycling calories here and there or have one big huge keto meal here and there, lots of fat/sodium.

Last edited:
Dead serious. Why would i need a carb up? Carbs are just fuel, I use fat for fuel and have plenty of it in diet and body stores.

Im just curious bc you're.... you. Lol

Are you no longer trying to gain size?

Thanks for that post NY. Very informative. Like I said it would be a want definitely not a need. More of a nice weekly family meal and to keep my sanity. I'll never be as disciplined as b boy where I could go that long without any carbs. I know I would just binge and blow all the weight loss. This is definitely the easiest diet I've ever followed.

I do the same thing I never carb up either and it's easy once you get used to it I don't plan to ever change it lifestyle for me .

Im just curious bc you're.... you. Lol

Are you no longer trying to gain size?
Lol, well this is the second week of my so called diet and I decided to up calories this week and stop all cardio, bodyfat measurement is .2 lower and I have gone from 209 morning weight to 216 morning weight. Drop calories again starting today and put cardio back in.

Warrior diet

One huge mega meal a day.

During the day around 200 cals max

Tried so many different protocols but over the years this is what works for me.

I think it even increases metabolism.
Bulking 4000 cals on good days hihi and the body processes most of it into muscle.

Plus maximum energy during fast.

But this is just my humble opinion ;)

I do IF because it's convenient and conducive to my lifestyle. That meal prepping for 6 meals per day gets old..quick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bulking 4000 cals on good days hihi and the body processes most of it into muscle.

you mean a huge mega meal in addition to the possible smaller 200 calorie foods at other times?

I follow a CKD and been for decades, I combine it with IF and I carb up evert 7-14 days, not because I "need' to but because it is fun and a reward if I go strict and never stray from my macros.

Carbing up is frowned upon in many keto groups because most people cannot handle the carbs and end up binging but that does not mean it is not a great protocol.

The general consensus on the benefits of a carb up (those of us who follow a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet CKD) if one is following a ketogenic diet (it is NOT a cheat day) fall under the following categories.

1)Physiological
2)Psychological
3)Pyschoneuroendocrinological
4)Affective

It resets hunger hormones Leptin and Grehlin levels which are crucial for continuous fat-loss, stabilize to normal T4-T3 conversion, (which slows on keto) which make the thyroid work at the normal. Increase anabolism (muscle glycogen) to increase muscle mass.

Carbohydrates boost leptin levels far more than protein fat. In fact, fat has almost zero effect on leptin levels.

Leptin is highly responsive to glucose metabolism so when doing a refeed, you will benefit much more if the majority of your additional calories are coming from good sources of carbohydrates that will turn into glucose (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, oats and grains). When done this way, leptin levels will show a significant rise over if you had eaten a surplus of calories coming from more protein, fat, or fructose.

You may hear others say that an increase in calories will have the same effect, while that is technically a true statement they're not telling you the whole story. As long as the increasing calories comes from CARBS then yes it will work but it all comes down to the carbs. Another example of a play on words..here's another misleading statement, "you can be in ketosis on a 100% carbohydrate based diet"....this is a true statement..BUT.( If and only) if you're restricting your carbs to say around 20 grams or so, that's 80 calories total and you're not having any protein or fat so yes that statement is "true".

Carbs are also not converted as easily to fat as dietary fat, which means you can overfeed on carbs for short periods of time and gain slightly less body fat. However, this is assuming you keep your fat intake low. If you eat a bunch of carbs and fat while refeeding, the extra fat is generally going to be stored. This is because your body is primarily burning carbohydrate while refeeding and thus doesn’t need to burn the fat you’re consuming, so it will/can store it as body fat instead.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11126336

- Carb overfeeding increased plasma leptin concentrations by 28%, and 24 hour Energy Expenditure by 7%. Basal metabolic rate and the energy expended during physical activity were not affected. FAT overfeeding did NOT significantly change plasma leptin concentrations or energy expenditure. There was NO relationship between changes in leptin concentrations and changes in energy expenditure, suggesting that leptin is not involved in the stimulation of energy metabolism during overfeeding.

CONCLUSIONS:

CARB overfeeding, but NOT fat overfeeding, increases energy expenditure and leptin concentration.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10334310

- High-fat, low-carbohydrate (HF/LC) meals, which induce smaller insulin and glucose responses, would produce lower leptin concentrations than low-fat, high-carbohydrate (LF/HC) meals.

During LF/HC feeding, there were larger increases of leptin 4-6 h after breakfast (38 +/- 7%, P < 0.001) and lunch (78 +/- 14%, P < 0.001) than after HF/LC meals (both P < 0.02).

During LF/HC feeding, leptin increased from a morning baseline of 10.7 +/- 1.6 ng/ml to a nocturnal peak of 21.3 +/- 1.3 ng/ml (change, 10.6 +/- 1.3 ng/ml; percent change, 123 +/- 16%; P < 0.0001). The amplitudes of the nocturnal rise of leptin and the 24-h leptin AUC were 21 +/- 8% (P < 0.005) and 38 +/- 12% (P < 0.0025) larger, respectively, on the LF/HC day. In summary, consumption of HF/LC meals results in lowered 24-h circulating leptin concentrations. This result may be a consequence of decreased adipocyte glucose metabolism. Decreases of 24-h circulating leptin could contribute to the weight gain during consumption of high-fat diets.

Another reason some people do CARB refeeds:

Some of us use it as more of a reward system for adhering to the diet strictly the prior week or two. For instance if I wasn't strict leading up to the carb up and did not drop body fat then I did not earn my carbs and I don't get to have a carb day. It forces that need to be super strict in order to be able to give myself that carb day. So in fact it's a lot harder in my opinion to do a cyclical ketogenic diet then it is a standard ketogenic diet especially trying to control yourself on the carb day which can go crazy and out of control once your insulin levels get out of whack and you want to eat everything in sight.

And the main reason I do a carb up..is..well fruity pebbles! :)

For those who do not want to carb up that is fine but I recommend cycling calories here and there or have one big huge keto meal here and there, lots of fat/sodium.

Thanks for writing this all out bro. You have an links or places you recommend for me to read up on the basics of this? or more research in general? I could just google it but I'm sure you have a specific place you agree with the info. thanks

I believe that one should keep any caloric intake under 50 Kcals during the fasting period. Are you sure that those 200 Kcals wouldn't "take you out" of the fasting? I'm just curious myself because I keep my calories at zero during the fast.

Well you are right...

I believe that one should keep any caloric intake under 50 Kcals during the fasting period. Are you sure that those 200 Kcals wouldn't "take you out" of the fasting? I'm just curious myself because I keep my calories at zero during the fast.

Maybe...
These cals are not real cals for me even though they probably are lol:
I Drink some litres of diet soda with 1 or 2 cals per 100ml so this is around 50 cals and recently started to lower my protein intake to make Room for more dirty carbs hehe.
That is Why I Take 2x eaa (Map something like humapro and Yes most of you will hate me for that but I like these) which are 10 grams each...so 20 grams of protein/amino acids is 80 calories (i do Not believe in the zero Val thing of aminos)
The 200 cals is just an estimation on eaas,diet Drinks and maybe some pre workout powder here and there.

Honestly I wonder what happens if I drop these amino acids and just have One main meal but then i need to up the protein probably again whivhnis what i do Not want.
I got sick of all that protein and since i replaced some of it with (Not so clean) carbs i am less bloated...this is Not an excuse for Junk Food just my observations.

Yes i am blessed to have a Good metabolism so I bulk relatively Lean. Not shredded of course but Lean and muscular.
But Yes even u get a little layer of fat after I was forced to lower trainjngmintensiry and Duration plus binged badly aka even more empty cals than i am used too because i am actually depressed because of back pain and my upcoming surgery.
Hope i get better soon.

Are those warrior or if guys here mostly keto followers and have a strategic refeed here and there?

For bulking how much protein do you have if you only eat One Solid meal???

Thanks for any comments in advance

Hey NY muscle....I think I remember you posting it in here somewhere but I can’t find it. Do you have any suggested resources, books or anything regarding IF?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131