mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many of yall do NOT work shoulders directly?

My shoulders where one of my most laging body parts in the past I now have very nice well rounded delts cannot complain at all. I generally do 1 to 2 pressing exercises then I do a lateral raise exercise then a rear delt exercise or 2 and maybe a upright or a front raise motion. I always focus more on the rear head making sure I really pound it. Frontal gets hit decent already when inclining so I still like to directly hit it just not as hard.

My shoulders went from horrible to fine. I paid more attention to my rotator cuffs, using an exercise I learned from Dante Trudel. I slowed down the negatives on my presses and wound up with no noticeable issues.

I don't understand not training delts. I don't do anything for front delts directly, but I surely work my side delts. My front and rear heads are hit indirectly in my back and pressing sessions.

"Horrible" is pretty subjective for shoulders. That could mean "ouch my shoulder hurts" or 2-3 surgeries on your rotator cuff.

I get lots of indirect work from incline bench and other chest/some back movements. I basically only do side laterals now.

All the EMG data i've read seems to point that pressing reallly hits the anterior deltoid...some lateral but not much.

Do you do any pressing at all Dave?

for a long time i wasnt doing direct shoulder work. maybe a set of laterals or rear delts here and there but no dedicated day or heavy work. mostly the indirect from heavy barbell or db bench and squats and rows and yadda yadda yadda.

i started working with alex last summer and he had it set up where i was doing shoulders the first day after a day off before i hit my chest in the same day. i am seeing a bit more growth and better shape to them now.

I train shoulders after chest.
I will determine the training depending on how I feel. I tend to do dumbbell press if I'm feeling strong, maybe hammer strength or a different machine if I'm not feeling 100%. I Always follow up with front, rear, and lateral isolation movements.

I worked shoulder for years just like every other body part. Then I stopped and bought into the fallacy that I didn't need direct work. Lied to myself for about 6 months saying my shoulders looked good. Then a guy asked me at the gym if I was injured. He said my shoulders used to really pop and stand out but not now. I have directly trained them ever since and am back to getting my shoulder and width compliments. I also train front delts which some people believe you don't need to do. But for me the shoulders don't pop without huge front delts.

How many reps per set?

No less than 20. If I do db upright rows ill rest pause starting at 15-17.

Shoulders get hit heavy with chest and back. The respond better to higher reps for me.

I do 5 sets laterals after chest and 5 sets rear delts after back..... that's it.....shoulders have actually grown a bit since dropping presses and they feel much better......im 43 and want to be doing this for a good while...wanna preserve em' as best I can

I see guys doing shoulders; swinging heavy weights with shit form all the time. It makes me cringe, however they seem to have no issues with it.

I kind of gave up on nice large shoulders. I get pain even from very light work. It's either get shoulder pain from chest movements, or do shoulder movements and practically cripple myself. :( Both suck and affect my training.

I'm glad I'm not alone. Actually I am...I feel terribly alone. Oops vulnerable moment. Anyway, I can relate although I can go light without too much lingering pain. A few of the guys have me thinking of trying behind the neck again.....I will keep it light.

This is something I find strange. The amount of people that no longer press overhead. If you look back over the years all the guys from the 40-50's pressed seriously heavy bars and dumbell overhead.

Could it be that many people have overly heavy pec development and tightness which pulls the delta forward?

I love military press from the rack. I love dumbell presses overhead, I'm even one of the rare few that still likes behind the neck press

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Mosthated808
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws