advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many total sets weekly per each body part works best for you?

How many work sets weekly provides the most muscle size?

• Total voters
12 set for quad, back.. 8 for hams, delt, arms, chest
normally use first few sets as progressive warm ups (pyramid) just shy of failure

well if it worked for serge nubret (some of the best genetics even pro bb'in has ever seen).. then it must work fantastically well for the average joe. honestly it amazes me how many of you want to shoot up aas now and work this sh*t out later.. i used to see guys at school talking about this bullsh*t reading out of muscle and fiction but they weren't 'manipulating hormones' shall we say. imo you want to be on for the shortest amount of time possible (ie 6/7 years), get to your target weight and then taper down the dosages and maintain that weight.. but all most want to do round here is pump there body full of sh*t, forget diet (that makes no difference, protein isnt anabolic, 1g / lb is more than enough - kidney health etc, meanwhile 5g of anabolics are going in each week), and half ass train not knowing what works and what doesnt cos the gear distorts the reality so much. spend less time finding that rare compound and get the basics figured out first. jmo.

15 sets a week...

Either divided into 2 workouts week per bodypart around 7-8 sets each workout.

or divided into 3 workouts week per bodypart around 4-5 sets each workout.

WOW, are you fuckin kidding me? Talk about a completely irrational fear of overtraining!

I perform 20-30 sets for chest, back, legs, and shoulders, about 15-20 for triceps, biceps, calves and abs. Each muscle receives at least 3-5 days of rest before being worked again.

this X1000000

I follow big A's growth principles, been liking it so far.

would BIG A growth principle work as a pre contest routine to put on mass?

3-4 sets each exercise 8-12 reps. 3-4 different exersises. 1 body part per day, except arms I do bi's and tri's together.

I like to do at least 3 exercises per bodypart and only about 3 sets per exercise has seemed to always workout pretty good for me.:headbang:

I follow big A's growth principles, been liking it so far.

Yes same here. I do a few more sets on arms and shoulders, but all the big compound lifts 1 max set. Suits me as ive got the mentality that i cant put the bar back if i might have got 1 more. Almost feels like cheating as your out the gym so quick but it works and the intensity is great, seems i dont ever overtraing or need a week of following this method

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Very interesting to me that the results are pretty much even right now (as I make this post anyway).
Makes me think there is more than one way to get things done.
I know I have done it all, and different things worked for me at different times.
I was doing high volume recently (without concentrating much on weight), I am going to a strength based program now that is moderate volume.

Once the muscle is torn down,"it's torn down". It needs time out of the gym to repair and grow. you should be able to tear it down in 3 sets, after that your just spinning your wheels. Most people in the gym over-train and dont get enough rest and wonder why they dont grow.

after 2 years of experimenting and trying all different rep schemes been making my best gains off of:

CHest 4 work sets
Back 8 work sets
quads 5 work sets
hams 4work sets
calves 6 work sets
bis 6 work sets
tris 6 work sets
traps 4 work sets
should 6 work sets (rear delts 2 work sets)

I just started doing 6-8 sets per muscle, when before I would do 12-16ish. I have to say I really prefer the shorter workouts. I've been more sore than ever and I can concentrate all my effort into fewer sets knowing I don't have to save any energy or wtv for the next exercises.

Also its mentally refreshing knowing you wont be in the gym for 2 hours mindlessly plowing away. Now I train 45-60 minutes and enjoy myself the whole way through. The amount of time is just right so I never get to that point where I feel like I'm just going through the motions.

I think if everybody cycled their volume to a degree, more people would agree that more sets(12 or so) works better for growth.

I don't think you can train high volume with high intensity day in day out. There has to be a deloading phase. Even Gironda talked about that way back in his day. he didn't really cycle volume in terms of sets but he advocated taking 7 days off completely after 21 days of hard training.

Lets say you trained using a 3 way split monday-friday and you cycled your volume like this:

week 1---- 4 sets(working sets) per body part 8-12 reps
week 2-----6 sets per body part 4-6 reps
week 3-----6 sets per bodypart 8-12 reps
weeks 4, 5, 6 and 7-------10-12 sets per body part
then either take a week off or just return to week 1.

I'm sure everyone(if eating right and getting enough rest) would grow the most during the high volume weeks.

Do 12-16 for chest, back, quads, shoulders
9-12 triceps, biceps, hams, calves, abs

that's total sets, but only 1-2 last sets per exercise are working sets, so in reality only ~1/2 of these ar working sets

Example squats:
135x15-20 (joints warmup)
225x10-12 warmup1
315x8-10 warmup2
365x10-12 working set1
405x8-10 wroking set2
might do another working set or dropset

same fashion with another 3 exercises, but might do only 1 wamup set 2 workings by adding weights, or just 3 sets with same weight rep or few shy to failure

Every 3-4 weeks - no failure 12 reps sets
Every 10-12 weeks - deload for few week or off (usually deload :D)

I do 15 sets per bodypart.I do high volume training.

I switch between the two.

Volume until I stop growing, or getting stronger during the sets. Sets of 15 -20.
10 sets for back and chest. 10 for quads, 10 for hams, 5 for Calves. 6-8 for Bis. 9 for Tris. 5 for Traps. Cardio 30 minutes to 1hr 130BPM or more.

When it stops working, 2-3 days off with some light activity like running or biking. I drop the reps per set to 5-7 reps max and the number of sets 5 for small parts, 9 for big ones. HIT cardio for 20 minutes only, target HR up around 170 or so. Do this until I stop getting stronger, then back to volume.

Oddly, I always get stronger and fuller in the the second phase. If I stay in one phase, I burn out in 3 weeks or less. Lose weight, can't sleep, lose size, lose strength. I use as little AAS as possible, so gotta be tricky with training and diet and watch how I feel closely.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws