over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Trying to help a friend with severe hip pain

Full right side hip replacement here. Mine was very severe because I waited too long. Longer you put this off longer recovery. When I was in the hospital saw an 80 year old guy who had it done and was walking the same day. While I was bed riddin for 5. Asked the doctor why and he told me it's a matter of having it done as soon as possible. So tell your buddy it's extremely important not to wait. Mine was bad but recovery wasn't two years. At the most 12 weeks

Full right side hip replacement here. Mine was very severe because I waited too long. Longer you put this off longer recovery. When I was in the hospital saw an 80 year old guy who had it done and was walking the same day. While I was bed riddin for 5. Asked the doctor why and he told me it's a matter of having it done as soon as possible. So tell your buddy it's extremely important not to wait. Mine was bad but recovery wasn't two years. At the most 12 weeks

I agree. Now with my father, he waited too long too I thought. He could barely walk and was 80 years old when he had surgery. He was up walking on it the same day though and went home the next day in time for dinner at home. Your's must have been really bad!

I agree. Now with my father, he waited too long too I thought. He could barely walk and was 80 years old when he had surgery. He was up walking on it the same day though and went home the next day in time for dinner at home. Your's must have been really bad!

Waited three years and working construction. Even after surgery cried like a baby pain was that bad. Stupid.

Waited three years and working construction. Even after surgery cried like a baby pain was that bad. Stupid.

How are your knees doing? My father needs to have the knee done that is on the other leg. the leg that didn't need hip surgery. I think he was limping around for so long and putting more weight on that side so wore out his knee from not walking right. It hurts pretty bad now but he wont go in and get it done because he hears how much worse knee replacement is. I thought he had learned from the hip not to wait too long. I guess not!

3 years is a long time. My father went a bit over 1 year on his I think. It got bad really fast. His was mostly bone on bone. Sounds like both of you don't need it on the other hip, so that's a plus. My mother in law needed it in both hips.

two years recovery is not correct.. ive had both of mine replaced and was back doing legwork within 3 months.. after 6 mons it was totally good to go doing anything.. The most important part is to do your rehab religiously daily.. learn to love the pain and recovery will be quick and satisfying... if its bone on bone NOTHING will stop the pain except a replacement.. pro

It wouldn't even take that long to recover back to lifting heavy in the gym I think. Is this guy an active heavy powerlifter or something?

No. Office job, obese, never exercised.

I'm trying to convince him of doing it ASAP and perhaps seeing another doctor.

He's heavy on injectable dexamethasone right now (most doctors only prescribe 3 per year max) plus 2 or 3 NSAIDs just to get up from bed.

He's eating much less and already lost a few pounds.

How are your knees doing? My father needs to have the knee done that is on the other leg. the leg that didn't need hip surgery. I think he was limping around for so long and putting more weight on that side so wore out his knee from not walking right. It hurts pretty bad now but he wont go in and get it done because he hears how much worse knee replacement is. I thought he had learned from the hip not to wait too long. I guess not!

3 years is a long time. My father went a bit over 1 year on his I think. It got bad really fast. His was mostly bone on bone. Sounds like both of you don't need it on the other hip, so that's a plus. My mother in law needed it in both hips.

Knees are fine thank God. Your right. knee replacements are much worst. More then just a ball and socket like hip. Much more complicated surgery. You have a floating knee cap. Recovery is longer and painful. Friend had it done. Saw his scar where they cut right on top of his knee cap. Made my knee hurt seeing that.

No. Office job, obese, never exercised.

I'm trying to convince him of doing it ASAP and perhaps seeing another doctor.

He's heavy on injectable dexamethasone right now (most doctors only prescribe 3 per year max) plus 2 or 3 NSAIDs just to get up from bed.

He's eating much less and already lost a few pounds.

Be sure to explain to him too that when your hip is hurt bad like that it affects your gait. When you walk strange it puts extra stress on parts of the body that aren't used to it or aren't supposed to have that. I think that's why my father's knee is shot now. If your friend doesn't get his hip done it could very well ruin other parts of his body. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link!

Be sure to explain to him too that when your hip is hurt bad like that it affects your gait. When you walk strange it puts extra stress on parts of the body that aren't used to it or aren't supposed to have that. I think that's why my father's knee is shot now. If your friend doesn't get his hip done it could very well ruin other parts of his body. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link!

Got it.

Appreciate the replies, everyone.

I have a similar problem and live with chronic pain . I take tramadol, shit works bigtime without the addiction and nausea from opioids . It works like an antidepressant and binds to your opioid receptors . I’m 60 and had a bunch of surgeries on my right leg, I tried the opioid route and stopped after a month when I realized I’d be dead in a year, I’m on tramadol for 3 years and wo 7 days a week, it just takes awhile to work. Tell your friend to hang tough it sucks when you hit 50 and your body starts to break down , mine did that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother needs a knee replacement, but her doctor told her she was too young to do it, 70 years. They say knee replacements don't last too long, is that true?

My mother needs a knee replacement, but her doctor told her she was too young to do it, 70 years. They say knee replacements don't last too long, is that true?

Get a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion on that from another Ortho. I know patient's in their late 40s/early 50s with successful replacements.

I have a similar problem and live with chronic pain . I take tramadol, shit works bigtime without the addiction and nausea from opioids . It works like an antidepressant and binds to your opioid receptors . I’m 60 and had a bunch of surgeries on my right leg, I tried the opioid route and stopped after a month when I realized I’d be dead in a year, I’m on tramadol for 3 years and wo 7 days a week, it just takes awhile to work. Tell your friend to hang tough it sucks when you hit 50 and your body starts to break down , mine did that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramadol is still a narcotic/opiate, but it has a much lower risk of dependence/addiction development than the other ones.

to young at 70 for a knee replacement? LOL, I be looking for a new doc asap, dont matter if she is 40 if she needs it she needs it, quality of life.

Most joint replacements are expected to last 20 years at the most from my reading. Dr's try to have people put it off if they can. There is really nothing to replace the original replacement joint with once the first one wheres out. That will hopefully change some time down the road. Plus the more times a joint is replaced the more chance of infection, rejection etc. But I know of one friend that has had both his replaced and he is in his early 50"s.

With the hip replacement, the surgeon told us that eventually the plastic lining in the hip will wear out and have to be replaced, but that will be rather simple to do and wont require the entire device to be replaced. Just put in the new liner.

I don't understand a doctor telling someone that they are too young for a replacement. To me it would be more like you are too old for one. The older you get the more likely you are to have complications from surgery and even possibly die from it. Things like anesthesia can kill older folks. Id say get it done as soon as the pain becomes bad enough. Why suffer and wait until you are really old and can barely recover from the surgery?

With the hip replacement, the surgeon told us that eventually the plastic lining in the hip will wear out and have to be replaced, but that will be rather simple to do and wont require the entire device to be replaced. Just put in the new liner.

I don't understand a doctor telling someone that they are too young for a replacement. To me it would be more like you are too old for one. The older you get the more likely you are to have complications from surgery and even possibly die from it. Things like anesthesia can kill older folks. Id say get it done as soon as the pain becomes bad enough. Why suffer and wait until you are really old and can barely recover from the surgery?

surgery is surgery and it sucks, but yeah to replace an inner cup and ball is soft tissue work and much simpler, I had a check up in June, had THA in 03, and I tell ya man I have pushed that thing to the limit, I was told that I would need the articulating parts changed but as far as the device itself, I should have it for life, I turn 54 next month, even after pushing it to the limit for the last 16 plus years it is still well positioned and grown in with no migration, someone that is 70 years has no business being told to put off a knee replacement ( unless there is some special medical reason to do so ), put off till what? till their 80? LOL.

surgery is surgery and it sucks, but yeah to replace an inner cup and ball is soft tissue work and much simpler, I had a check up in June, had THA in 03, and I tell ya man I have pushed that thing to the limit, I was told that I would need the articulating parts changed but as far as the device itself, I should have it for life, I turn 54 next month, even after pushing it to the limit for the last 16 plus years it is still well positioned and grown in with no migration, someone that is 70 years has no business being told to put off a knee replacement ( unless there is some special medical reason to do so ), put off till what? till their 80? LOL.

Maybe this surgeon doesn't like her insurance...

Thank you all, this forum is amazing.

someone that is 70 years has no business being told to put off a knee replacement ( unless there is some special medical reason to do so ), put off till what? till their 80? LOL.

She has optimal organ health, analisis, etc, her problems are always from pains such as arthritis and inflammations.

getting my right hip replaced on the 26th of this month. the doc said I could return to work in 2 weeks post surgery if everything goes as well. he also said that i’d be going home the same day as the surgery. I hope he is accurate with his assessment

IMG_8013.JPG

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner