advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Experienced competitors and striations???

Post up the pix, we wanna c this

Pictures

I have about 10,000 color slides and have no way of posting any of them. :confused:

Am looking for a new home for them, as well!
:p

You gotta have a friend with a scanner or something. Most local libraries have public computers they can use, and they have scanners. You can prolly load it up on theirs and email it to yourself and download it when u get home to your puter. Then u can put it up here. Im still fuzzy on what u mean by cross striation, i wanna see what you mean. Does anyone have any pix of cross straitions?

TooPowerful4u said:
You gotta have a friend with a scanner or something. Most local libraries have public computers they can use, and they have scanners. You can prolly load it up on theirs and email it to yourself and download it when u get home to your puter. Then u can put it up here. Im still fuzzy on what u mean by cross striation, i wanna see what you mean. Does anyone have any pix of cross straitions?

An oldey but a goodey... LOL. Check out the adductor of the rear leg.

-Randy

Attachments

• Porky2001a.JPG
    Porky2001a.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 170
Cuts?

Now, if you could see the cross striations on the muslce fibers, then you would have striations on the muscle bellies that insert on the tendon.
It would look sort of like this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>

The picutre used for illustration is too far away and flat nautural lighting.
A close up of that thigh or a deltoid would be better to see them.
Not for the faint of heart.

:cool:

msclonly said:
Now, if you could see the cross striations on the muslce fibers, then you would have striations on the muscle bellies that insert on the tendon.
It would look sort of like this.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>

The picutre used for illustration is too far away and flat nautural lighting.
A close up of that thigh or a deltoid would be better to see them.
Not for the faint of heart.

Msclony,

Are you aware of how small an individual muscle fiber is?...

-R

For sure!

I did a research project and wrote a paper on the LOCATION OF GLYCOGEN MOLECULES IN SMOOTH AND STRIATED MUSCLE for a Histology course at the Univ of Michigan and got an A from the toughest female professor, that I have ever met. She wore Pinstriped suits. Looking at the muscle tissue through the microscope, I was able to see that the glycogen was stored in the bands of the musclescells, and was used for energy, when muscle contraction was initiated. This project explained the DIFFERENCE between two top celluar scientists, one of whom was Szent Giorgi, the great expert. Had to prepare and stain the tissue before slicing it into thin enough slices to look through on the microscope. I forget the other guy's name, but am looking for the paper to post on a website for Private Trainers. This was the same time, that I came to appreciate the role of the mitochondria and ADP>ATP in energy reactions, etc.

I had to take Histology in Med school my first year and got an another A without studying. Leaving me more time for Biochemistry (the basis of my Nutritional work with athletes), and Anatomy!

Last edited:
msclonly said:
I did a research project and wrote a paper on the LOCATION OF GLYCOGEN MOLECULES IN SMOOTH AND STRIATED MUSCLE for a Histology course at the Univ of Michigan and got an A from the toughest female professor, that I have ever met. She wore Pinstriped suits. Looking at the muscle tissue through the microscope, I was able to see that the glycogen was stored in the bands of the musclescells, and was used for energy, when muscle contraction was initiated. This project explained the DIFFERENCE between two top celluar scientists, one of whom was Szent Giorgi, the great expert. Had to prepare and stain the tissue before slicing it into thin enough slices to look through on the microscope. I forget the other guy's name, but am looking for the paper to post on a website for Private Trainers. This was the same time, that I came to appreciate the role of the mitochondria and ADP>ATP in energy reactions, etc.

I had to take Histology in Med school my first year and got an another A without studying. Leaving me more time for Biochemistry (the basis of my Nutritional work with athletes), and Anatomy!

Sounds good.

I'm just trying to figure out why you seem to be referring to individual muscle fibers when you speak of cross-striations. The diameter of a *very* hypertrophied skeletal muscle fiber in a human is ~50 microns or 1 / 20 of a millimeter, hardly visible to the naked eye.

Perhaps you could define a "cross-striation" so I'm on the same page?...

Gracias!

-Randy

msclonly said:

Looks like we got another Randy on our hands lol. Glad to have u aboard bro, looks like u can add a lot of useful info.
Why is it that it seems some poeple have more prodominant striations though? I remember seeing Mike Morris guest pose, and although he was bloated as fuck and kinda chubby, the striations stood out. Ronnie colemans thighs are developed twice as much as Morris, twice Morris' size, yet Morris has way deeper striations.

TooPowerful4u said:
Looks like we got another Randy on our hands lol. Glad to have u aboard bro, looks like u can add a lot of useful info.
Why is it that it seems some poeple have more prodominant striations though? I remember seeing Mike Morris guest pose, and although he was bloated as fuck and kinda chubby, the striations stood out. Ronnie colemans thighs are developed twice as much as Morris, twice Morris' size, yet Morris has way deeper striations.

Same reason as our faces look different - the structure is different. Andreas Munzer was ripped to shreds, but if the epimysium of his muscles was flat, he would not have had his trademark striations...

-R

Paper thin skin is needed!

To see the striations beyond the 'cuts', paper thin skin is needed.

DennisTinerino had it at the 1980 Mr. O. :eek:
He took a lot of Pharmceutical grade amino acids and Beef Gland Protein, well before other guys discovered any amino acids.

I must say, that there are a lot of better BBers out there this past year for optimum developement, but most of the photgraphers are still doing a lousy job of focusing or do not have professional optics like those of Hasselblad fame! Some the videos offered on the pay sites do not even focus well, since the adjustable eyepiece is not correcting correctly with the automatic focus features. Poor adjustment by the photog. Many of the newest videos are OUT of focus giving a smooth finish and soft edges to the muscles.
How sad? :D
Not withstanding the poor video technique. :D

Last edited:
msclonly said:
To see the striations beyond the 'cuts', paper thin skin is needed.

Agreed on the video quality issue (it really is a shame), but I'm still looking for your definition of "cross-striations." Above you refer to "striations." Are these synonymous?...

-R

homonunculus said:
Agreed on the video quality issue (it really is a shame), but I'm still looking for your definition of "cross-striations." Above you refer to "striations." Are these synonymous?...

-R

He seems to be old school, and I think that what he is calling cross-striations, we are simply calling striations now (because they are expected of competitive bodybuilders) and what he is calling striations we are simply calling separation.

Big A said:
He seems to be old school, and I think that what he is calling cross-striations, we are simply calling striations now (because they are expected of competitive bodybuilders) and what he is calling striations we are simply calling separation.

I hear ya, Big A.

Only diff. between striations and cross-striations that I've ever seen alluded to is that striations are parallel with the direction of longitudinal axis of the muscle belly (from tendon to tendon) and cross-striations are at an angle, although this is pretty loose jargon.

This would basically be evidence of the angle of pennation of a muscle or head of a muscle.

E.g., you could have a delt that is striated (striations flow from the origin of the middle head around the AC joint to the insertion at the delt. tuberosity), but your v. lateralis of your quad would be "cross-striated" b/c the striations are at an angle to the muscle belly (the lateralis is pennated).

Regardless of that minutia, I was trying to point out that the striations are not visible b/c individual muscle fibers can be descriminated under the fascia of the muscle - they're just too small. Fascicles of fibers, yes, but individual fibers, nope...

-R

Old school or not

I know what seperation is, and so MANY BBers do not have it in competition.

We had to coin the term 'cut(s)' to point out the difference from smooth large muscular builds to those, that were more like an anatomy chart without being enveloped in a thick sheet of skin.

:)

I am not sure I follow correctly but I think what we are talking about is a measure of muscle development and conditioning. These striations and cross striations are typical of a well prepared ,well peaked bodybuilder exhibiting his condition.

msclonly said:
I know what seperation is, and so MANY BBers do not have it in competition.

We had to coin the term 'cut(s)' to point out the difference from smooth large muscular builds to those, that were more like an anatomy chart without being enveloped in a thick sheet of skin.

:)

msclonly,

How long have you been in the game, if you don't mind me asking?... ("We" coined the term cuts?... WOW!)

So, I'm still waiting on that definition of cross-striations... Am I close with what I describe above?...

-R

Cuts?

I have been 'in' the game since I was 16 years old.

I hope you are not confusing fibrils with fibers.

Have you ever looked through at muscle tissue through a microscope?

:rolleyes:

msclonly said:
I have been 'in' the game since I was 16 years old.

I hope you are not confusing fibrils with fibers.

Have you ever looked through at muscle tissue through a microscope?

:rolleyes:

msclonly,

Since "you were 16" doesn't answer the question, I'll just assume that its been for several decades.

I am well aware of the difference between a myofiber and a myofibril.

Indeed I have looked as skeletal muscle tissue under a microscope. I have more experience in this area than I really care to reveal in this forum, but our respective knowledge of muscle histology, histochemistry, biology and physiology is beside the point.

I guess I'm not going to get an answer to my question... LOL.

-R

It has been my experience..

To just study very carefully everything Randy says, because it is always on target with everything my dad has told me at one point or another. Thanks for being here Randy, we really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131