advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Carbing up - water, sodium, and carb manipulation - too full or slightly flat?

A voice of reason.....these guys have no idea what it takes to step on a pro stage and be SPOT ON......you just cant do that and look good...these guys need to see pics of what you did to get your wife in shape.....you train Pros.....you and I know whats up.........its just humorous to see all these people talking about all of this crazy stuff..........amazing.

I can tell you this much Phil....and I think you agree with this concept.....if you did your homework and are as lean as you need to be, you dont have to look for some magic solution to make things happen in the end. Pros achieve a level of conditioning that takes years to get to along with other variables. Its something thats not geneticaly in the cards for me personaly but I do enjoy learning the best way to obtain my personal goals. I'm just doing a little planning as I will be competing this fall. Thanks for the insight as you always seem to be a voice of reason.

its not intended to produce a miracle! its intended to fill enough to make the muscle push against the skin, its not a miracle worker at all, craig titus has done it, and chad nicholls has used it on some people. Its actually a very safe and conservative approach to carb loading, you don't have enough time for your body to produce negative results, if i have a show saturday morning and start shitloading at 10pm friday night for maybe 3 meals, then 1 meal and some junk snacking before prejudging, how in the hell can you fuck that up, theres just not enough time...LOL but hey im def. no expert and def not a pro, my education is ongoing in the art of bodybuilding, its all about quenching my thirst for knowledge, thats why i work with different people yr. in and yr. out, i want to learn from everyone, my professor this year ought to be a very good one ;)

Remember that anything that has enough time to make you look better also has enough time to make you look worse. Carbs have little to do with making the muscle push against the skin. Your muscles can only hold a few hundred grams of carbs max no matter what you do. As I said before it is all water and sodium.

What you do is NOTHING like what Chad did. I was friends with King long before I trained him and I know exactly what he did the last 3 days cause I was with him the whole time.

The last few years that Craig competed he looked like crap! Big gut and smooth compared to what he looked like before he turned pro.

Remember that anything that has enough time to make you look better also has enough time to make you look worse. Carbs have little to do with making the muscle push against the skin. Your muscles can only hold a few hundred grams of carbs max no matter what you do. As I said before it is all water and sodium.

What you do is NOTHING like what Chad did. I was friends with King long before I trained him and I know exactly what he did the last 3 days cause I was with him the whole time.

The last few years that Craig competed he looked like crap! Big gut and smooth compared to what he looked like before he turned pro.
I kept my water high till about 9pm friday night then cut it off and started shitloading at 10pm :)

Last edited:
I think what skip does (skiploading or shitloading) works good for his guys...I know he has changed it over the years, but it seems to work for most of his guys...

I will toss this in there...I kept all carbs under 50 total grams per day the last part of the prep till all the way till Friday at 4pm...cut water completely, than began to eat carbs at 6pm, low fat high carb sources...pretty much all evening till about 1am, then I had 5 pancakes with syrup and big steak omelette with hash browns meal...slept for awhile. Woke up and began with low fat, high carb sources again and some Supreme Bars, protein cookies, rice cakes with jelly, honey, pb, etc...then cut myself off and gave me plenty of time for Plazmosis to work on its own. Weight dropped Friday - overnight about 4lbs after eating all the carbs initially, but finally made it back to 170-172lbs...Still look pretty damn good today, so have not totally spilled over yet.

I started my prep at 16 weeks out with 200 grams of carbs and one cheat meal per week, took it down to to 150 carbs after so long, and then 100 grams of carbs, and finish strong with under 50 grams for the final 6 weeks or so with a refeed here and there, but healthy. I was totally depleted before carb loading Friday evening till game time, it kicked in and I kept getting drier and harder, but still felt pretty damn good now at 177lbs, but I feel I am about to spill over anytime soon, still have Mexican to eat tonight! I will keep you updated on the spill:D But, feel really pumped still and hard!

But, I will be back the gym tomorrow, training to get better!

These are some awesome responses.... A ton of knowledge on this board!!!

I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer. I hope you veterans can provide more insight. Why is it that so many people drop orals like winnie and injectables like tren a week out before a show since they do not create water retention like test?

shitloading has never worked well for me. I used to try and talk myself into thinking it did, but anytime my body became accustomed to eating strict for a long period of time, and then I just bombarded it with junk, the results were never good. Especially with diuretics at the same time, I've heard the entire shitload theory before time and time again, but sending your body into a fatload/carb load/ metabolic. water loss shock almost always resulted in a soft and flat appearance for me. Never again. If I need to load, I'll eat clean and wont change anything as far as the carb source. Also, every f'in person I have ever known to use diazide and shitload with it got a raw deal. I just witnessed a friend of mine go from looking killer to looking like shit within about 2 days time from this sort of loading/depletion.

I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer. I hope you veterans can provide more insight. Why is it that so many people drop orals like winnie and injectables like tren a week out before a show since they do not create water retention like test?

Never heard of people dropping orals, don't see the logic there...some drop inj for 2 reasons, first, being that some claim the actual inj will cause water retention...maybe "brotelligence" there not sure, the other more viable concern in welps from inj site...ask Iris Kyle about her 2008 arnold classic placing due to that little issue...:confused:

There are enough drug threads on this board. Keep that shit out of this one please. Im sick of seeing every fucking thread about anabolics. Its time to get back to some usefull information not involving drugs.

shitloading has never worked well for me. I used to try and talk myself into thinking it did, but anytime my body became accustomed to eating strict for a long period of time, and then I just bombarded it with junk, the results were never good. Especially with diuretics at the same time, I've heard the entire shitload theory before time and time again, but sending your body into a fatload/carb load/ metabolic. water loss shock almost always resulted in a soft and flat appearance for me. Never again. If I need to load, I'll eat clean and wont change anything as far as the carb source. Also, every f'in person I have ever known to use diazide and shitload with it got a raw deal. I just witnessed a friend of mine go from looking killer to looking like shit within about 2 days time from this sort of loading/depletion.
2 days huh? well first i only carb friday night and saturday morning for a saturday show, also i may "key word being MAY" pop 1/2 diazide friday night and thats it. I would like to hear more about you and your friends protocol, a shitload is too freakin easy bro. FreakTT from this board got to witness my shitload first hand as i spent the weekend with him and his girl for one of my shows and he couldn't believe all the shit i ate and then couldn't believe how much drier I was in the am when we woke up. One of his friends told me i was stupid to eat all that junk and mess up an entire prep cause i had no will power at the end, then after prejudging he ate his words and wanted to know more about this shitloading....LOL :D

There are enough drug threads on this board. Keep that shit out of this one please. Im sick of seeing every fucking thread about anabolics. Its time to get back to some usefull information not involving drugs.
ok

2 days huh? well first i only carb friday night and saturday morning for a saturday show, also i may "key word being MAY" pop 1/2 diazide friday night and thats it. I would like to hear more about you and your friends protocol, a shitload is too freakin easy bro. FreakTT from this board got to witness my shitload first hand as i spent the weekend with him and his girl for one of my shows and he couldn't believe all the shit i ate and then couldn't believe how much drier I was in the am when we woke up. One of his friends told me i was stupid to eat all that junk and mess up an entire prep cause i had no will power at the end, then after prejudging he ate his words and wanted to know more about this shitloading....LOL :D
I found a tremendous article explaining the science behind your method b-boy. I did not post it because the author makes some shitty remarks about phil hernon.

Everyone is different...Everybody is different...Every person looks different at different stages..What one person do, wont work for someone else, and no results will ever be the same...

What you do for one show wont work for another show, because you will have dieted differently...and your body will be different from the last show, (more muscle, less muscle, leaner, not as lean ,ect, ect) So you can never do the same thing twice and expect the same results...So what Im I getting at...??? Some people will look better with more fullness, and some people look better with less fullness, maybe even slightly flat or actully pretty damn flat...Some people can just do there normal diet, not cut water, keep the carbs low, cut the water out saturday morning come in looking killer and blow people away...Other people will deplete, cut water, do this, do that, and come in looking like crap and wonder what the hell happen ???

What do I think is best ??? I personally think that the best thing to do, isnt a whole lot...Just do your normal diet, maybe carb up some on Wends (like you said AWN2004) slightly cut back the carbs Thurs and Friday (maybe even go low carb on friday) maybe cut down water on friday, cut it out saturday morning and hope for the best ...LOL !!! Just keep it simple (or KISS) ...Honeslty if you do that, you will probably look better, cause you are slightly flat, and the lines are going to be super deep, and you wont be holding alot of water, but full enough to feel your muscles when you pose and look full enough on stage to look big and ripped, but not bloated...Simple is always your best bet to come in looking your best...Every show is a learning experiance to grow on and to look better at your next show...

chris

Awesome post Chris! The only thing I would personally change is to carb up hard on tuesday and allow an extra day for bloat to leave.

I found a tremendous article explaining the science behind your method b-boy. I did not post it because the author makes some shitty remarks about phil hernon.

Im suprised that Skip hasnt gotten on here yet and put his 2 cent in yet...

YOO!!

Here is a good ol thread finally!!! I tend to agree people are different but much like others I am fluid retention monster and too many carbs or garbage will make me hold more water then a resevoir. Ive done couple different ways. I think I looked best so far when I kept it clean, sodium low and had only 4 cookies in between shows and that was pretty much it till just before the night show.... the other variable I believe is the time of the show. Night show prejudging is a lot different then Sat morn prejudging! Hard to stay as tight and dry @ night then in the morning. I think every show you do you find out what works best for you more and more. For me keepn sodium low and only small amounts of junk work best. Rumor has it AWN2004 is heading back on the stage..... :eek:

I kept my water high till about 9pm friday night then cut it off and started shitloading at 10pm :)

yeah b, and that work wonders for you i would go back to what you did at the north americans..

yeah b, and that work wonders for you i would go back to what you did at the north americans..

like this north american pic

Attachments

• brad.jpg
    brad.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 953
I will toss this in there...I kept all carbs under 50 total grams per day the last part of the prep till all the way till Friday at 4pm...cut water completely, than began to eat carbs at 6pm, low fat high carb sources...pretty much all evening till about 1am, then I had 5 pancakes with syrup and big steak omelette with hash browns meal...slept for awhile. Woke up and began with low fat, high carb sources again and some Supreme Bars, protein cookies, rice cakes with jelly, honey, pb, etc...then cut myself off and gave me plenty of time for Plazmosis to work on its own. Weight dropped Friday - overnight about 4lbs after eating all the carbs initially, but finally made it back to 170-172lbs...Still look pretty damn good today, so have not totally spilled over yet.

I started my prep at 16 weeks out with 200 grams of carbs and one cheat meal per week, took it down to to 150 carbs after so long, and then 100 grams of carbs, and finish strong with under 50 grams for the final 6 weeks or so with a refeed here and there, but healthy. I was totally depleted before carb loading Friday evening till game time, it kicked in and I kept getting drier and harder, but still felt pretty damn good now at 177lbs, but I feel I am about to spill over anytime soon, still have Mexican to eat tonight! I will keep you updated on the spill:D But, feel really pumped still and hard!

But, I will be back the gym tomorrow, training to get better!

I would love to see some pics. Please try to post them.

I am not doubting how you look in anyway, but it would be interesting to see how you look on what day of eating higher carbs; especially since your show was on Saturday.

It would be very interesting and relevent to this thread if nothing else.

I would love to see some pics. Please try to post them.

I am not doubting how you look in anyway, but it would be interesting to see how you look on what day of eating higher carbs; especially since your show was on Saturday.

It would be very interesting and relevent to this thread if nothing else.

Here we go...the first pic is the Friday evening before I began the actual carb load (Note- I cut water as several hours before I began carb up). The second pic is the morning before prejudging as I still carb loaded (still no water). The third pic is the morning after the competition (plenty assortments of food from Friday night carb up till eating after the show).

Also, I will post more competition pics when I get time and how I got there. I am no pro or expert...shit I am just a middle weight trying to get better from this point on, just trusting my body to do its job and if it didn't I would learn from that point on. I felt good about the carb up...if you want me to describe what I ate that evening and from that point on, I can post that too. But here are the pics I mention from above....just a point of reference. Hope this helps, if you want more detail...I can do so.

Attachments

• 5.29.09 (random night before 7).JPG
    5.29.09 (random night before 7).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 670
  • 5.30.09 (the morning before prejudging).JPG
    5.30.09 (the morning before prejudging).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,061
  • pic from this morning after show (mm).JPG
    pic from this morning after show (mm).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:

Forum statistics