over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Long Head of Triceps

loganb_football

Registered
Hey guys and girls I have a question for you all. I have been a powerlifter for many years, and stuck to basic close grip benches, jm presses, and lying tricep extensions for years... I have been DC'ing for a while, and stuck to the same basic exercises but used little variations in rep ranges, and maybe grip. I dont want to get into much detail about it. But, I have really been analyzing my pysique and I realize all those years of basic lifts have really developed all other heads of the tricep except for the long head. So I tried to look into some exercises, and the only one that has REALLY worked the long head of my tricep is standing tricep ext. Now I want to try to bring up the long head of my tricep some more, and Im wondering if you guys or girls could give me some tips? Perhaps some exercises that have worked for you all?

Are you sure it's not just genetics, i.e insertion points? Lots of guys have "short" insertions so their triceps will never have that really full, long look (me, for instance).

Are you sure it's not just genetics, i.e insertion points? Lots of guys have "short" insertions so their triceps will never have that really full, long look (me, for instance).

Thats what I thought at first... But then I started doing the standing triceps ext. to experiment and the long head of my tricep started coming out within a couple of weeks... I wish I had a camera so I could take a picture, its not extremely long or full, but its right in between long and short? You know what I mean?

Do not overlook kickbacks. These are under-rated IMO. When done correctly they can add some size to all three heads.

Dont feel alone shelby, me too. But you can develop what you have. Triceps pull from TWO origins, so it only makes sense to work it from both. Bringing your arms down to your sides is partially triceps.

This always gets me sore in the long head......skull crushers modified. I like to hang my head down off the bench, bring the bar down then when it gets to my forehead bring it actually back behind my head....then do sort of a pullover while keeping elbows in and pressing back to the top.

Evan Centaponi does that variation TP if I remember right, he like it because of the lack of stress on the elbows too.

Evan Centaponi does that variation TP if I remember right, he like it because of the lack of stress on the elbows too.

I think he just keeps it out over his forehead, not the pullover variation. If he does, i came up with it on my own. Its pretty damn good. You have to go lighter tho

This is some great advice. For years I really havent tried to get a stretch in tricep ext... Just add more weight. Now I think this is why I was not getting any results in the long head.

This always gets me sore in the long head......skull crushers modified. I like to hang my head down off the bench, bring the bar down then when it gets to my forehead bring it actually back behind my head....then do sort of a pullover while keeping elbows in and pressing back to the top.

I'll have to try those, thanks.
Lately I've been doing skulls from the floor.

Ever do pullovers like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-UtLfGEuaU

like this TP or different?
**broken link removed**

Evan does his at around 2:40

LOL! :D

I've doing them similar to Skip @ IM. Seated, overhead with an EZ Curl bar. I use lighter weight, and get a deep stretch focusing on hypertrophy. Always sore as hell the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc0hrBrjKVs

Yes, only lying flat. You lower it to your forehead just like a normal skull crusher, then you take it from there back behind and below your head (as skip does) then pull back over to the starting position above your forehead then press.

the best thing ive done for my tri,s is one handed overheaded tri extensions. its the same position you would take if doing DC's tricep stretches i think. it allows me to go heavier that i would with kick backs and we all know that a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle. i notice when i do these i get a really nice pull at the bottom when the muscle is stretched out and when i contract it is really easy to concentrate mentally and pull by just flexing the tri.

Logan.. I tried sending you a PM on tricep training but your inbox is full.. Clear it Bro...

Hey guys and girls I have a question for you all. I have been a powerlifter for many years, and stuck to basic close grip benches, jm presses, and lying tricep extensions for years... I have been DC'ing for a while, and stuck to the same basic exercises but used little variations in rep ranges, and maybe grip. I dont want to get into much detail about it. But, I have really been analyzing my pysique and I realize all those years of basic lifts have really developed all other heads of the tricep except for the long head. So I tried to look into some exercises, and the only one that has REALLY worked the long head of my tricep is standing tricep ext. Now I want to try to bring up the long head of my tricep some more, and Im wondering if you guys or girls could give me some tips? Perhaps some exercises that have worked for you all?
While overhead extensions of the elbow are a great stretch for the short head of the triceps and a static stretch of the long head, cross bench pullovers or rope pullovers from above create direct functional shoulder extension stress. The long head of the triceps is responsible for this movement as is the serratus, lat, and pec to a smaller degree. But, whenever there is elbow flexion/extension involved (like with overhead extension variations), the short heads of the triceps will joint the party while the long head stays in a static, isometric position.

Take a D handle and do reverse extensions mod weight to total failurE for 3 then a drop

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131