over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What's the verdict on Protein Shakes & Keto Diet

Chipper Jones78

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
What the consensus?

Just about the keto diet again, have done it many times, however, I never neeed to add protein shakes.

For those who have done this diet, do you folks add protein shakes to your day?

You get enough protein from the diet itself, however, I am more curious about PW as I don't want it to knock me out of keto.

What are your thought?

Cheers
Chip

What kind of keto diet are you doing?

A lot of guys (and gals) use a whey isolate (zero carbs) for a couple meals a day.

What kind of keto diet are you doing?

A lot of guys (and gals) use a whey isolate (zero carbs) for a couple meals a day.

Thanks for the the response Shelby.

I'll be doing the 5 day no carb/high fat/moderate protein the 2 day/high carb diet.

My only concern when taking the shake PW, yes there are zero carb drinks, however, I am worried about the sugar and the spike of insulin that may occur which wil know me out of Keto.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Chip

what is your post workout shake consist of

I'll be doing the 5 day no carb/high fat/moderate protein the 2 day/high carb diet.

My only concern when taking the shake PW, yes there are zero carb drinks, however, I am worried about the sugar and the spike of insulin that may occur which wil know me out of Keto.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Chip
If it's whey isolate from true protein, what sugar?

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Chip

Add some fat to it and you'll be fine.

Are you going to do your two high carb days back to back?

Thank you for your reply and your true protien promotion.

They do make good stuff
The reason I posted that was I use true protein whey isolate and know it has no sugar / carbs..so it wouldn't effect a keto diet..When I use the keto diet I use whey and add EVOO to the shake.

Your thoughts?

Cheers
Chip

Who says to take a shake after your workout? That's amateurish at best. Take about 20 high quality amino acid tabs immediately following the session and save the shake (preferably milk & egg) for an hour or so after. And if you're fat adapted take a few aminos before and during the workout. Beverly Mass amino, Metabolic Diet Amino, etc.

Last edited:
Who says to take a shake after your workout? That's amateurish at best.

Says who? What do the aminos do that a protein like whey iso doesn't? Why is quickly absorbed, contains a very high level of BCAAs (leucine). IMO, if there's an advantage to an amino mix (and whey might have advantages over amino mixes too) the effect is minute and may not be cost effective for most.

If you're talking about DiPasquale's Aminos I doubt even he would go as far as saying they are proven more effective than whey for example.

BTW, the Beverly amino is just protein powder in a pill (albeit hydrolyzed). Hardly cost effective or advantageous. Interestingly, hydro whey actually absorbs slower than intact whey.

Last edited:
Who says to take a shake after your workout? That's amateurish at best. Take about 20 high quality amino acid tabs immediately following the session and save the shake (preferably milk & egg) for an hour or so after. And if you're fat adapted take a few aminos before and during the workout. Beverly Mass amino, Metabolic Diet Amino, etc.

:rolleyes:

The reason I posted that was I use true protein whey isolate and know it has no sugar / carbs..so it wouldn't effect a keto diet..When I use the keto diet I use whey and add EVOO to the shake.

I appreciate the respsonse TOM.

Cheers

Says who? What do the aminos do that a protein like whey iso doesn't? Why is quickly absorbed, contains a very high level of BCAAs (leucine). IMO, if there's an advantage to an amino mix (and whey might have advantages over amino mixes too) the effect is minute and may not be cost effective for most.

If you're talking about DiPasquale's Aminos I doubt even he would go as far as saying they are proven more effective than whey for example.

BTW, the Beverly amino is just protein powder in a pill (albeit hydrolyzed). Hardly cost effective or advantageous. Interestingly, hydro whey actually absorbs slower than intact whey.

Whole protein without fat present will not digest properly. It must be hydrolyzed and this is where amino tabs come in. You don't want to be taking an unhydrolyzed powder with fat present because it will delay absorption. Save it for after you slam some aminos into your system.

You doubt Di Pasquale would advocate a precision amino mix after a weight session? Ask him. I guarantee he will agree with me.

Beverly just protein that's been hydrolyzed? What kind of statement is this? Stupid. All di, tri and free aminos are the product of hydrolysis. The higher the degree, to a point, the better quality.

Protein powders are fine if you're not in a rush to recuperate immediately after a workout. One gram of a high quality 70-85% hydrolyzed amino has the bio-availability of 10-15 grams whole protein. The reason a highly hydrolyzed powder is not available is because nobody wants to suffer the taste. Chewing up Di Pasquales amino v.4 will ruin the rest of your day, tasting food wise.

Last edited:

There could be an insulin spike r/t the amino acids... Fat's such as those you and Shelby have pointed out, put into your protein shake, could blunt the process due to a slower breakdown of the proteins.

How about fiber drinks while on keto to keep the plumbing going?

Never got a concrete answer on this

Yes, you should take enough fiber to stay regular. Be it a large salad or a couple spoonfuls of psyllium. Your guts will tell you when it's time for a dose of fiber. Don't worry about insoluble fiber, carbwise. Take psyllium before bed on an empty stomach or an hour after a protein shake.

I don't see what the question is about the shakes while on the Keto diet. The real question is should shakes be used on any precontest diet and I believe the answer to be complicated and often based on the individual. I personally feel that the only time to use shakes on a diet is immediatley after training. To try and use a whey shake as a meal replacement is futile, especially while on a diet. Your body will burn through it in a matter of minutes and you will not only be hungry again, but your body will quickly slip into a catabolic state. Stick with whole food sources as much as possible, your body burns calories in processing whole foods, and you will feel full much longer.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131