over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

NFL Combine - why do they bench press?

. Really not to sound arrogant or come off as a dick but at well under 200# right now at 42 I can do 50 @ 225 any day of the week. )
This I would like to see

This my opionion coming from many years ofmplaying. The bench press is important because that movemnet is used a lot during a game. I played d line. and while my legs did most the work, when i locked up with another player it was important for me to get that push to lockout motion with my arms so i could control the opponent in front of me. hence it a movemnet similiar to the bench

This my opionion coming from many years ofmplaying. The bench press is important because that movemnet is used a lot during a game. I played d line. and while my legs did most the work, when i locked up with another player it was important for me to get that push to lockout motion with my arms so i could control the opponent in front of me. hence it a movemnet similiar to the bench

believe me i understand how strength is a considerable factor in being dominant on the football field. my BEST time during college football was my FRESHMAN SPRING BALL. I was a 420+ bencher with 0 injuries at the time. I had more Pancakes than IHOP and i loved it. Going into camp that summer i tore my rotator cuff, 360 degree tear of labrum and a partially torn bicep tendon and that crushed my upper body for the season (i played the season with a tied down sling under my jersey). My upper body strength is good now but I NEVER had the pure raw power OR the ROM again.

BUT...like this thread has stated many times already, there are TONS of guys who don't bench shit and are badass in the NFL and college football...lineman wise too. it is much more important, especially as an inside DL, to have a strong base (squat/DL) to hold your ground on a double team than it is to bench the house

Im a tough old man too and if anyone is in my neck of the woods (ATL) i would love to show ya. Usually during my last set of bench we screw around and rep 225 for a comedown. Stop at 50 or so tri's give out.

This I would like to see

You ar not telling the truth bro as here are the records:

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Arkansas’ Petrus ties combine record in bench press «

It is to show their muscle endurance.I went to the combine years ago and did 52 reps with 225 they counted 48 of them and that was by far the best there.My old room mate a few years ago played with the eagles in 06 and was 6'5 360 OL and couldnt bench press 225 10 times.If they did a 1 rep max it would be embarasing for alot of players.

believe me i understand how strength is a considerable factor in being dominant on the football field. my BEST time during college football was my FRESHMAN SPRING BALL. I was a 420+ bencher with 0 injuries at the time. I had more Pancakes than IHOP and i loved it. Going into camp that summer i tore my rotator cuff, 360 degree tear of labrum and a partially torn bicep tendon and that crushed my upper body for the season (i played the season with a tied down sling under my jersey). My upper body strength is good now but I NEVER had the pure raw power OR the ROM again.

BUT...like this thread has stated many times already, there are TONS of guys who don't bench shit and are badass in the NFL and college football...lineman wise too. it is much more important, especially as an inside DL, to have a strong base (squat/DL) to hold your ground on a double team than it is to bench the house

i def. couldnt agree more. When i played we used bench as an accesory motion to our shoulder press day. We basically did a squat day with accesories, deadlift day with accesories and a clean and press day with accesories. That plus lots of food and i grew like a weed. Was 255-260 naturally, not the leanest guy in the house but def. not a fat ass either. Loved those days

Just one of many indicators, Just like the WONDERLIC,my favorite.

Ak.

Mike Kudla reportedly was able to hit somewhere in the 50's while he was training for the combine, he ended up with 45 but I know they didn't count all of his reps. Also, the Eagles drafted Adrien Clarke from Ohio State in 2004...

You guys are too kind

My 40 was a 4.9. I was a pulling guard @ 6'3" 280-290. Those were my stats as a junior. I snapped my fibula in 2 places in the 2nd to last game of my senior year playing Cal Poly. The Bench is great for your punch as an O lineman but from a wrestling background I liked to streetfight in the trenches if my punch didnt land properly haha . My leg hurts just thinking about it. Didnt know 28 was top 90 % now I can go brag to people online who have never seen me how cool I am lol

not bad

When my son was a senior in high school he could hit 20 clean reps at 150 lbs.
He does the Olympic lifts now and had not benched in a year and can still hit 15 when he was home at christmas. I can't hit 50 but can do 35 at 200 and 52 years of age.

I would have to agree with what has been stated numerously in this thread. At this point it's a subtle novelty that essentially links the old and the new players. They've come such a long way in how they test people that I guess even the NFL still has their vices.

Look at the 40 for example, it has little to no bearing at all aside from straight away speed. But, the nice thing about it, is they now have sensors at essentially 10yd increments so they can gauge the proper times for the necessary position. One that sticks out in my head was Clay Matthews his overall time was average at best, but he had the 2nd best(?) 10yd dash of the combine.

In most college programs (mine included) it's all based on Olympic lifts. We still use the core lifts to max with, but it's normally just to fill in the blanks for all the auxiliary lifts that go with it. Either way whenever all the groups do the 225 competition it holds my attention, always something fun to watch regardless of importance.

-Huge

This I would like to see

I too would like to see that. That would be one of the most impressive lifts for reps I have seen in my 30 years of powerlifting and BB. Dude you could win alot of money benching for reps. I win several shows, for money benching my weight for reps and I am 170 and do between 48 and 51. You would kick my ass if you weigh less than 200 and can do over 50 reps with 225. How many times can you do your body weight?

I too would like to see that. That would be one of the most impressive lifts for reps I have seen in my 30 years of powerlifting and BB. Dude you could win alot of money benching for reps. I win several shows, for money benching my weight for reps and I am 170 and do between 48 and 51. You would kick my ass if you weigh less than 200 and can do over 50 reps with 225. How many times can you do your body weight?
good thing you don't weigh 300lbs cause if u did and could do your b/w that many times, you would have the colors of green and look like the hulk

Last edited:
Jude hard to come off as not sounding arrogant. I had state, national, and World Records in multiple federations and won BL at just about every meet. Held my WR from 2000-2006 or so. I understand what your saying and I was professional (sponsored) and have won money at meets. Money was not too good really. This is fact and I still bench 5 plates raw at under 200#. Got outta the game because the gear got stupid. Best raw is 715 touch and go by Mendelsohn and equipped is what like over 1100 by Kennelly? See a problem there? I do. I trained with the top at the time like Anthony Clark days when #780 was the WR. When in the south come see my trophies and certificates. I now train guys in the NFL and prospective and active players. Own a few facilities, and am employed by an NFL team as a trainer during minicamp. So flame me for tellin the truth. But this is fact. Hate to bring it up as I always get doubters. All I ask is for one member to visit my facility and see my accomplishments.

Last edited:
Ok, you would have to be somebody to lift like that. Very good. What is your weight now? You should do the MHP king of the bench in Dallas in April. We also have shows here in New Orleans, where u would win a $1000 for you weight class for raw max, 1000 for bench your weight for reps. I can let u know when the next show is this summer in July.

It has been a meaure of upper body strength for many years and I believe it is a matter of tradition at this point. There are many other measures used such as 40 time, agility testing, vo2, etc. It really counts more for the linemen where it translates directly on the field. I personally train many prospective NFL players for this exact lift. Just a direct measure of upper body strength in their eyes. And it is an exciting competition to watch. Larry Allen currently holds the record with I believe off hand to be 42 or so but dont hold me to it (the number). Many lifts (benches) are counted which are not even full ranges of motion per se. Really not to sound arrogant or come off as a dick but at well under 200# right now at 42 I can do 50 @ 225 any day of the week. So then I should be a NFL player right? LOL And paid like one. Like said it is just 1 measure outdated exciting lift to watch and the players really get up for it. Love it when the qb's or punters get 6.;)

I actually remember hearing of a punter who benched 380......and a few quarter backs benching 225 for 15-18 reps.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws